Eliza1 Reading blog 2010

Guest Eliza1

I'm just starting this blog to write a mini review on each book I read. I don't particularly have a list that I go by and I don't have a reading plan as such, so, I will just write the reviews as I go along. I hope it will be helpful to any members wanting to read any of the books I've read. And feel free to comment on anything that I've written. I've never written reviews before so any tips would be useful. Here goes.... :)

In a strange room

Damon Galgut

"In a strange room, you must empty yourself for sleep. And before you are emptied for sleep, what are you. And when you are emptied for sleep, you are not. And when you are filled with sleep, you never were."

Damon Galgut uses this one quote from William Faulkner to bind together a potent story of a mans reliance on travel as a form of soul-searching,and his struggle against loneliness. Damon is a young, south African man, searching across continents for somewhere to belong. Sleeping "in a strange room" with every stop, he is uprooted and detached from the world around him.

As he contemplates the most spectacular of sights and scenery, he forms memorable acquaintances. Each will change his life in a different way as he loves and loses each one. This is the story of a mans journey to the centre of his identity and a remarkable insight into the world around us.

Comments

I loved every single line in this book. There is a magic about the way he writes. He can make you feel nostalgia, yearning and awe in a single sentence. The writing is very simple but powerful. Even though nothing very spectacular happens in the first two thirds of the novel, it is not the plot that keeps you reading. It's simply the beauty of the writing. The characters are not extremely complex but the relationships are and it is enticing to read. For me this novel is as good as it gets and I give it 10/10.

Hi Eliza :) Nice to see you started your own blog, hope you'll have fun with it, and I'm sure it'll be useful to keep record of what you read and how you liked it ;)

As for the review, In a Strange Room reminded me of Paulo Coelho's stuff, which I love(d).

Sounds interesting, I might give it a go when I find the time.

Hi Breda :)

I've read the Alchemist and I see what you mean, they have quite similar writing styles and themes. Definately give it a go if you get the chance, I think you'll enjoy it :)

As for the reading blog, I'm not sure if it will be added to as often as other blogs on here (I don't read half as much as some people on here!) but I will update it after every book I read. It's a good way of keeping record of what I read aswell :D, which I've never done before.

Martina Cole

The Family

When Phillip Murphy sees Christine, he knows she is the one. Blonde, attractive, smart and untouched....the perfect possession.

When Christine mets Phillip Murphy, it is love at first sight. Her life couldn't be more perfect. But love is blind...and the Murphys have a history of violence, treachery and deceit. Everyone knows the Murphys are one family you don't mess with, and it's not too long before Christines dream come true, turns into a nightmare.

Christine finds herself being pulled under by the corrupt dealings and anarchy that surround her daily life. Things are getting out of control, including herself. She must find a way to stop it, before it's too late...

Comments

This book was very fast paced and exciting. Martina Cole can always keep you glued to a novel and is renowned as the author who "tells it like it is". It's quite easy to read and very funny in places. I was reminded of her other novel The Take. It's got a slightly similar story-line. One tiny point on the down-side, I found it a bit repetitive at times. I would recommend it as a good holiday/travel read. 5/10

Morning Eliza. I'm sorely tempted by In a Strange Room, it sounds like a novel I could really get into. I'll have to go and have a look for it later. Not too keen on the Cole book, mind. Might give it a miss. wink.gif

The Memory Keeper's Daughter

Kim Edwards

*On a winter night in 1964, when a blizzard forces Dr. David Henry to deliver his own twins, his son, born first, is perfectly healthy. But the doctor immediately recognizes that his daughter has Down's syndrome. For motives he tells himself are good, he makes a split-second decision that will haunt all their lives forever. He asks his nurse, Caroline, to take the baby away to an institution. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child as her own. A story of parallel lives, familial secrets and the redemptive power of love... *

Comments

This was a really moving, sad story. The description is really beautiful. I will be honest, I found myself getting distracted easily at some points of the book because it can be a bit tedious :S but other than that, it was worth reading. It's a good eye opener also in regards to Down's syndrome.

In regards to the characters, Caroline was my favourite. She is so strong and fights so hard for Phoebe, to give her a good life. Norah, I found really cold and it's strange because she suffers so much. People deal with grief and loss differently and her way I found very strange.

I'm glad I read it at this time of year (coming up to christmas). The opening scene of the novel is so beautiful and really fitting for this time of year. I give this book 6/10

*The synopsis is taken from my penguin copy*

And now you're reading The Silmarillion. Crikey, Eliza. That took me some getting through...blush.gif

Well I just got through the first chapter, it reads a bit like the bible doesn't it? Considering it took me 10 months to read LOTR, it might be a while before I finish this one!:)I might give up completely but not just yet, did you like it Mac?

Did you like it Mac?

I liked bits of it. I can't say I'm a complete Tolkein addict, though. I've read LOTR about three times since I was nine, finding new joy in his work with every reading, but there's only so much begat one can take. Know what I mean?

Good luck with it. x

I liked bits of it. I can't say I'm a complete Tolkein addict, though. I've read LOTR about three times since I was nine, finding new joy in his work with every reading, but there's only so much begat one can take. Know what I mean?

Good luck with it. x

Yeah people I know who've read it say they liked bits here and there, and some parts were acutally better than LOTR. I'm actually really getting into it now :D Once you work around all the naming and bible english :S Thanks Mac, Hope your enjoying your new read :) x

• 2 weeks later...

The Silmarillion

J.R.R. Tolkien

In the elder days, Morgoth, the first Dark Lord, dwelt in middle-earth and the High Elves made war on him for the recovery of the Silmarilli - three perfect jewels created by Feanor, most gifted of the Elves. The silmarillion tells of the rebellion of Feanor and his kindred against the gods, and of the war, hopeless despite the great heroism of Elves and Men such as Turin son of Hurin, against the great enemy.

This is the ancient history of Middle-Earth, the foundations of the world and its peoples before the great events recorded in The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

Comment

This really was three books in one. The first one gives an entire history of middle earth and Aman which is the land of the gods (Valar), and how the Elves (Avani) and men (Edain)first came about. It answers many important questions that maybe leave readers wondering, after reading The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings. Such as where does Frodo go with the Elves at the end of LOTR? and why do Elves live forever? Also, what is the origin of the light of Earendil that galadriel gives to Frodo for protection? These were all questions for me, but many more are answered.

The second part is The Silmarillion which is the main part of the book that the synopsis describes. This really was the first dark period with Morgoth, a fallen valar, being the main perpetrator of evil deeds. This section of the book was my favourite and contains some beautiful stories. Stories of love, victory, and heroism. But as always Tolkien does have his dark side and there are tales of loss and grief, cruelty and neverending doom. Orcs, dragons, balrogs, Elves, dwarves, men, gods, godesses... it really is part one of LOTR which everyone who likes Tolkien should read.

The third part is mainly the lead up to the LOTR. Men feature mostly in this part of the book, Morgoth has long left the tale along with the Valar and Sauron is now his successor. This part of the book describes all the familiar things we see in LOTR.

As can all Tolkien's work, this can get a bit confusing and detailed at times (ok..most of the time). Entire family trees are explained in detail in as little as a few pages, and I found it hard to keep track sometimes.. But I loved every word, especially the first two thirds of the book in which the elves feature most. My favourite story was the love story between Luthien and Beren.. so sad and beautiful. The book reads a little like the bible, which it basically is, being the bible of middle earth! I will go on to read The Hobbit and LOTR again soon, I didn't want to finish this book! I loved it. I give it 20/10 :P

Edited by Eliza1

Chronicle of a death foretold

Gabriel Garcia Marquez

Chronicle of a death foretold tells of the events leading up to and the events following the murder of Santiago Nasar. The "crime of honour" is carried out by the twin brothers of Angela Vicario, whos virginity has been questioned by her husband of a few hours, Bayardo San Roman. Sent home in disgrace, Angela has given the name, Sangtiago Nasar.

In the aftermath of one of the largest weddings the town has seen, and just before the much anticipated arrival of the bishop, Angelas twin brothers Pedro and Pablo, search for Santiago Nasar with the intentions of killing him. Telling many of their plans along the way, the outcome is unchanged. Nobody intervenes and Santiago is murdered. The story reverberates throughout the village for many years afterwards.

Comment

I like Marquez' writing style, he's quite humourous at times and has a beautiful descriptive style. The story I felt was lacking a bit, for me, and even though it's a short novel, I found myself struggling to finish it. It's very cultural with many descriptions of Columbian food, clothing and traditions, that in itself was interesting. I'd give this novel 4/10

Edited by Eliza1