Looking for a book about young adult travelling experience

There is a short 2 book series by Lurlene McDaniel, Journey of Hope (books individually are called Angel of Mercy and Angel of Hope), that are about two sister's who travel to Africa (each book is a different sister's tale) on a mission trip to work in a hospital. Because they are on a mission trip there are religious themes, but even if you're not religious the stories are excellent.

Synopsis for Angel of Mercy

Welcome to the forum :) I hope you find some good suggestions for what you're looking for.

Edited by CaliLily

I'd suggest Laurie Lee's As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning. An absolute classic and Laurie Lee's prose is so beautiful. It may not be as contemporary as you had in mind, but I'd highly recommend it anyway. Please give it a try.

From Amazon:

It was 1934 and a young man walked to London from the security of the Cotswolds to make his fortune. He was to live by playing the violin and by labouring on a London building site. Then, knowing one Spanish phrase, he decided to see Spain. For a year he tramped through a country in which the signs of impending civil war were clearly visible. Thirty years later Laurie Lee captured the atmosphere of the Spain he saw with all the freshness and beauty of a young man's vision, creating a lyrical and lucid picture of the beautiful and violent country that was to involve him inextricably.

Don't think I know of any book where they travel to different countries, and these books are fiction, but Alex Garland's The beach is lots better than the film and really good.

Losing Gemma by Katy Gardner is about to friends who travel to India and there get separated.

Okay, so I'm slightly getting carried away with trying to think of books that fit this category, but here's another possibility - again, not contemporary, but a classic.

You could try A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway. Forget about all the Hemingway "manly man" stuff people seem to dislike him so much for - this is a great memoir that captures a period of time in Paris.

'If you are lucky enough to have lived in Paris as a young man, then wherever you go for the rest of your life, it stays with you, for Paris is a moveable feast.'

I would echo The Motorcycle Diaries and Laurie Lee. Both are worth looking at. On The Road by Jack Kerouac might also fit the bill, although it is a novel it is based on the author's life experiences. Also anything about Ken Kesey, Neal Cassady and co on their Magic Bus in the early 60s would be informative.

• 3 weeks later...

Does Churchill's travelogues count? I can't remember how young he was when he wrote them, but they evoke a certain youthful tone. True, they have dated somewhat, but the historical notes which are peppered throughout the material makes it a very interesting read.