Mireille Guiliano - French Women for All Seasons: A Year of Secrets, Recipes, and Ple

SusanMargaret

French Women for All Seasons written by Mireille Guiliano is a non-fiction book in the health/diet category.

The book jacket boasts fresh ideas and new secrets. I did not learn anything new in this book that was not already common sense, such as drinking 8 glasses of water a day and eating in moderation. In regard to the statement promising fresh ideas, the only thing "fresh" is her comment that foods should be eaten in season and fresh. There are several recipes included in Guiliano's book. Some of the recipes look interesting and appear to be easily made. I have to admit that I have not yet tried them.

I think my expectations of this book were far greater than what I received. I was looking for exactly what the promotion of this book advertised: Fresh ideas and New Secrets. French Women For All Seasons is basically a cook book peppered with common sense advice, boring stories about the author's life, and directions for tying a scarf umpteen different ways.

That's a shame - I really enjoyed her other book - French Women Don't Get Fat. Have you read that one?

Hi Kell,

No, I did not read French Women Don't Get Fat. I probably should have read that book first. I really think that her second book should have been promoted as a cookbook. It was not a very interesting or eye-opening book to read. There was nothing new in her book that I have not already read.

There are a few recipes in FWDGF too, but it concentrates moreon her own philosophy of life & how it so happens that French women don't tend towards getting fat, as well as how she struggled with her own weight when she first went to America, due to embracing America's food culture, & then how she lost the weight & kept it off.