• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw this tweeted today ...

bibliopoesy

meaning "the making of books"

How very prettyful a word! :) 

Woohoo, a book-related word, thanks Chesil :).

I learnt the word 'maverick' a few days ago. According to my boyfriend it means something of a rebel, someone who doesn't follow the rules.

You are so lucky to have a native English speaking BF. I quite envy you :D He is your walking dictionary! 

Jingoistic- extreme patriotism especially in the form of aggression or war like policy.

That'll be my new word of the day! Although the actual word sounds a lot more nicer than its meaning :( I associate jingo and everything related to Terry Pratchett's Discworld, so the real meaning of it is very much far from what I expected! 

Jingoistic- extreme patriotism especially in the form of aggression or war like policy.

That'll be my new word of the day! Although the actual word sounds a lot more nicer than its meaning :( I associate jingo and everything related to Terry Pratchett's Discworld, so the real meaning of it is very much far from what I expected!

Oh, I hadn't connected it to the book named Jingo! I've read it a few years ago before I wrote reviews, I remember liking it a lot but I don't remember much about the plot line(s) on top off my head.

• 2 weeks later...

Really cool word came up today in my book.

Phantasmagorical:

phan·tas·ma·gor·ic

[fan-taz-muh-gawr-ik, -gor-]

adjective
1. having a fantastic or deceptive appearance, as something in a dream or created by the imagination.
2. having the appearance of an optical illusion, especially one produced by a magic lantern.
3. changing or shifting, as a scene made up of many elements.
Edited by Anna Begins

Nice - closely related to one of my favourite words (and something I wish I could be ;)) ...

Polymath - a person of great or varied learning; a person acquainted with many fields of study; an accomplished scholar.

I'd love to be a polymath :smile:

I like Erudite too!

(having or showing great knowledge or learning)

Polyglot- knowing or using several languages :smile:

Polymath - a person of great or varied learning; a person acquainted with many fields of study; an accomplished scholar.

I didn't know either of these words, thanks :)!

• 6 months later...

BIBLIOPHAGIST – a devourer of books.

Oh, I do like this word!  :D   :readingtwo:

I learned a new word over the weekend, it was a word that my husband had not heard of either;

parvenu
noun
derogatory

1. a person of humble origin who has gained wealth, influence, or celebrity.
    "the political inexperience of a parvenu"
    synonyms: upstartsocial climberarrivistevulgarian

What wonderful words you've come up with :smile2: 

Oh, I do like this word!  :D   :readingtwo:

I learned a new word over the weekend, it was a word that my husband had not heard of either;

parvenu
noun
derogatory

I thought the word sounded French, and I just looked it up and it indeed comes from the French language. I never knew what it meant, though, so that's for that :)!

That's funny, cause it sounded Indian to me :D 

I learned the word 'caustic' today, thanks to Marie H! :smile2: 

Adjective[edit]

caustic (comparative more causticsuperlative most caustic)

1. Capable of burningcorroding or destroying organic tissue.
  2. (of language etc.) Sharpbittercuttingbiting, and sarcastic in a scathing way.  [quotations ▼]
§Synonyms[edit]

(Hm, I'm not sure why I copy+pasted the meaning here because I suppose it's a common word for you natives :D)

OligopolyA market condition in which sellers are so few that the actions of any one of them will materially affect price and have a measurable impact on competitors.

Aleatory: (adj) Depending on the throw of a dice or on chance; random.

Afflatus: A strong creative impulse, especially as a result of divine inspiration.

All taken from If On a Winter's Night a Traveller .. I think it'll have some more before it's done with me  :blush2: 

OligopolyA market condition in which sellers are so few that the actions of any one of them will materially affect price and have a measurable impact on competitors.

Afflatus: A strong creative impulse, especially as a result of divine inspiration.

All taken from If On a Winter's Night a Traveller .. I think it'll have some more before it's done with me  :blush2: 

Holy hell. I think  I will read the book in Finnish :D Thank you Calvino for not having written your books in English!  :flowers2:

Alea is a dice in Latin so this one makes sense to me :) (the famous expression 'alea iacta est' means 'the die is cast' in English). I learned it during my Latin class.