Chrissy

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Lately we've been having bad luck with both a predator bird and a fox (or foxes) around. We've lost half of our little zijdehoender chicken and a few of the little bigger chicken :(. We're doing our best but with two predators around it's very likely that they'll come again despite our efforts to protect our chicken :mad::(.

A predator bird can fly in from the top (we've now put a net over the pen of the little zijdehoenders, hard with the black and white chicken though as their area is big), the fox climbs over the fence I think. They can climb pretty high, unfortunately. I expect its hole isn't far from here. :(

That's gonna be difficult when the area is so big, it would be so difficult to cover it all :( Do they get in during the night? Don't the chicken go inside at night? And if they come by day, maybe Boris and Pamuk could keep guard and show intruders that the chickies are not to be messed with! :theboss:

The bird seems to hunt during the day, the fox at night. The chicken are inside at night, we open the doors in the morning and close them in the evening. The only way the fox can get to them is after we open up the doors and before we close them, but we've seen it running around before at 8:30 in the morning, so it's possible :(. Today I had a big scare, two of the three remaining little zijdehoenders were missing and there were feathers on the floor. The two little ones got out of their pen, we've put them back now so the net can protect them. It looks like the predator bird got a pidgeon, the feathers look like pidgeon feathers. We've barricaded the net up even more. I really hope we don't lose any more chicken, but the past suggests otherwise :(. Boris and Pamuk will scare predators away but they're not outside all the time. They love spending time with us so when we're inside they're often inside too. A while ago when the fox killed the other chicken, we let Pamuk be outside at night so she could protect them, but after a while she was very worn out from it. She didn't sleep so well hearing everything and being cold. It was very sweet of her though to do that. I have more faith in her than in Boris since she's faster and more of a hunter. Boris just wants to play with everything. We try to put them outside several times during the day, though.

Edited by Athena

• 1 month later...

I don't ever want to live my life without a dog!  Its just me and Luka and has been for the last 9 years- well, now I have a five year old, but we've gone through the death of my brother, a sort of divorce, 2 moves, lived in 3 homes and through my pregnancy.  He follows me all over the house, hates water and mud so is always super clean and doesn't shed.  He's 9 now and I'm terrified of losing him!

I'll never forget the first day I saw him, all he did was sit on my lap and watch his brothers and sisters play, all he wanted to do was be with me :wub:  

He is a Kerry Blue Terrier and I love him so much!

c37610e9-7720-421d-80a2-8edaa56f8c55.jpg    

a3542e7e-1f06-474b-8ea5-c50bbe393a16.jpg

Edited by Anna Begins

He is lovely, I've only seen them at dog shows and then not often. Have a Facebook friend who now has Cattle Dogs that used to have them in Scotland, maybe they are more common there? Have you got a picture that shows his colour better? He looks black in these pics, is it a hard colour to photograph?

I know what you mean about being terrified of losing him, I lost our old girl at 15 in April and it still hurts and have another 15 year old still who has been my rock through having 3 kids and 2 more dogs. I think this is why I always have 2 or 3 dogs, it does soften the loss just a little as I still have someone to cuddle. 

He is lovely, I've only seen them at dog shows and then not often. Have a Facebook friend who now has Cattle Dogs that used to have them in Scotland, maybe they are more common there? Have you got a picture that shows his colour better? He looks black in these pics, is it a hard colour to photograph?

I know what you mean about being terrified of losing him, I lost our old girl at 15 in April and it still hurts and have another 15 year old still who has been my rock through having 3 kids and 2 more dogs. I think this is why I always have 2 or 3 dogs, it does soften the loss just a little as I still have someone to cuddle. 

I get so the thought just paralyzes me!  I am so sorry for your loss, I cant even imagine what it will be like.  I would love to get another dog but Luka is a one dog in the house kinda dog.  Actually, he hates other dogs :banghead:

Kerries are more popular in Europe (I saw one in Amsterdam) mainly in Ireland.  They are used to hunt small vermin on farms and tree badgers.  Luka is a dark Kerry- so hard to take pictures of-  the ones that show look more blue: (This is Jake, and one of my favorite pictures of him)

95aab9d4-c038-42ac-9701-6f0dd24ca8cb.jpg

Is that your dog in your Avatar?

Edited by Anna Begins

Great photo! Is that a different dog then as you mentioned Luca and Jake?

That's a wild wolf in my avatar, not really pet material sadly! I have posted pics further up somewhere, if you are on Facebook you can look me up under Hayley Godwin and see lots of

pics. I still have a Lab cross (the 15 year old) and 2 Australian Cattle Dogs aged 10 and 6 months.

The 10 year old can be rather grumpy with other dogs, particularly males but has accepted the puppy brilliantly, they seem to know when someone is family and he is quite protective of her now!

Great photo! Is that a different dog then as you mentioned Luca and Jake?

That's a wild wolf in my avatar, not really pet material sadly! I have posted pics further up somewhere, if you are on Facebook you can look me up under Hayley Godwin and see lots of

pics. I still have a Lab cross (the 15 year old) and 2 Australian Cattle Dogs aged 10 and 6 months.

The 10 year old can be rather grumpy with other dogs, particularly males but has accepted the puppy brilliantly, they seem to know when someone is family and he is quite protective of her now!

Oh my gosh!  An Australian Cattle dog puppy!! :wub:  I saw a Siberian Huskie at the grocery store today and it looked just like your Avatar!   

Luka is mine (top), Jake (bottom) is a friend's Kerry who passed.  And yes, he really was in that setting!

Edited by Anna Begins

• 2 weeks later...

Pasha is gorgeous!! :smile2: He reminds me of the dog our landlord used to own, when I was a kid. He was a great, happy-go-lucky dog :wub:

Thanks Frankie!

Pasha's very handsome! :smile:

Thanks bobblybear!