Pets ~ Part Two

Chrissy

Eep ! Scary. :hide:

Six cats - how fabulous.  Though having one is amusing enough for me atm. :D Xiao-Xiao went and hid next door today `cos the lawn here was being mowed ; I`m guessing it sounded too much like the Hoover Monster. ;)

I hope all your freinds and neighbours made it through the storm okay, too. :smile:

Aww, poor Xiao-Xiao!   It's funny how some cats are so afraid of noises, and others see the vac come right up to them, and kind of sniff and look away.  heh

Yes, for the most part we were all ok.  Some had roof and wind damage, but we are far enough north of New Orleans that none of flooding affected us.  We were without electricity for two weeks....in the hottest part of the summer, and without telephone/internet service for 3 months.  But it could have been a hundred times worse!

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yes, for the most part we were all ok.  Some had roof and wind damage, but we are far enough north of New Orleans that none of flooding affected us.  We were without electricity for two weeks....in the hottest part of the summer, and without telephone/internet service for 3 months.  But it could have been a hundred times worse!

x

I'm glad you were all okay. It sounds difficult, though I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Here are some photos of our little chicken (not to be confused with the bigger little chicken outside)

The new zijdehoenders (and their mother):

20130924_150813_0.25.jpg

The new black/white ones and their mother (I'm not sure exactly what their breed is called):

20130924_150839_0.25.jpg

EDIT: BTW when I say "new", they're already a couple of weeks to some more weeks old (depending on which ones), so they aren't just born or anything (see earlier in this thread if you're confused).

Edited by Athena

Aww, poor Xiao-Xiao!   It's funny how some cats are so afraid of noises, and others see the vac come right up to them, and kind of sniff and look away.  heh

It did look Apocalyptic on the news.

Er - is North of New Orleans where that dreaded brain bug is in the water ?? :hide:

Here are some photos of our little chicken (not to be confused with the bigger little chicken outside)

attachicon.gif20130924_150813_0.25.jpg

The new black/white ones and their mother (I'm not sure exactly what their breed is called):

attachicon.gif20130924_150839_0.25.jpg

EDIT: BTW when I say "new", they're already a couple of weeks to some more weeks old (depending on which ones), so they aren't just born or anything (see earlier in this thread if you're confused).

The chickens are cute ; the top ones look like some sort of Muppet chicken. :giggle2:

x

I'm glad you were all okay. It sounds difficult, though I'm glad it wasn't worse.

Thanks, Athena. :)  Me too!! :D

attachicon.gif20130924_150813_0.25.jpg

attachicon.gif20130924_150839_0.25.jpg

They are sooooo adorable!

It did look Apocalyptic on the news.

Er - is North of New Orleans where that dreaded brain bug is in the water ?? :hide:

Heh, no it isn't.  That brain eating microbe is south of New Orleans, in St. Bernard Parish.  (our counties are called parishes).  St. Bernard is about 10 miles to the southeast of New Orleans, and is right on the Gulf of Mexico.  I am about 50 miles north of New Orleans, with Lake Pontchartrain in-between.  The prevailing thought is that Hurricanes Katrina and Issac, etc that caused so much flooding and damage to the water pipes.  Cracks in pipes etc, and the fact that they sat dormant for so long created the environment for the nasties to breed and proliferate.  Apparently you can't get the bug by ingesting, as stomach acid kills it.  It is gotten through the mucus membranes. 

Thanks, Athena. :)  Me too!! :D

They are sooooo adorable!

Heh, no it isn't.  That brain eating microbe is south of New Orleans, in St. Bernard Parish.  (our counties are called parishes).  St. Bernard is about 10 miles to the southeast of New Orleans, and is right on the Gulf of Mexico.  I am about 50 miles north of New Orleans, with Lake Pontchartrain in-between.  The prevailing thought is that Hurricanes Katrina and Issac, etc that caused so much flooding and damage to the water pipes.  Cracks in pipes etc, and the fact that they sat dormant for so long created the environment for the nasties to breed and proliferate.  Apparently you can't get the bug by ingesting, as stomach acid kills it.  It is gotten through the mucus membranes. 

Ah, right. And ewww. :hide:  I hadn`t appreciated the link between Katrina and the illness. :smile:

I got the right State though. ;)

Ah, right. And ewww. :hide:  I hadn`t appreciated the link between Katrina and the illness. :smile:

I got the right State though. ;)

LOL, very true. And goodness knows the (Gulf) coast line is long enough!  So narrowing it down was a success! :friends3:

LOL, very true. And goodness knows the (Gulf) coast line is long enough!  So narrowing it down was a success! :friends3:

Huzzah ! 01.gif:giggle2:

Got a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket today - Xiao-Xiao hasn`t seen it yet. She hasn`t had (real) chicken before.

Sorry Athena. ;)

I'm not a vegetarian. I just don't like the inhumane procedures or thought of it. When I was in secondary school, our teachers made us watch a very cruel video about how they slaughtered chicken. I think these days it's better than it was back then, but it's horrible to think about. I really don't get people who eat their own rabbits for Christmas or things like that. I couldn't ever eat a pet I've loved. I hope your cat enjoys her meat. I like to eat meat, but if I were to think too much about it (or see too many horrible videos) I might stop eating it. Most of the time I try not to think about it too much where it came from (and I don't want the meat to look anything like where it came from).

Sorry if that was a bit off-topic.

I'm not a vegetarian. I just don't like the inhumane procedures or thought of it. When I was in secondary school, our teachers made us watch a very cruel video about how they slaughtered chicken. I think these days it's better than it was back then, but it's horrible to think about. I really don't get people who eat their own rabbits for Christmas or things like that. I couldn't ever eat a pet I've loved. I hope your cat enjoys her meat. I like to eat meat, but if I were to think too much about it (or see too many horrible videos) I might stop eating it. Most of the time I try not to think about it too much where it came from (and I don't want the meat to look anything like where it came from).

Sorry if that was a bit off-topic.

I did feel a bit bad about eating chicken after seeing your cute pics. :blush2:

I`m about 90% vegetarian ; I eat a lot of quorn, which is a meat substitute and comes in chunks or mince, or ready-made as escalopes and sausages. I sometimes get a chicken or fish craving every few weeks, and assume it`s what my body needs. Like you, I can`t bear the look of meat in the shops when it looks too `animal` like. :smile:

Xiao-Xiao was a bit suspicious of the chicken ; I don`t know that she knows it`s proper food - perhaps she thinks proper food comes in tins, or dried in kitty crunchies.

Funny, most of my cats don't care for "human" food either, which is a switch from cats we've had in the past.  Before, many times, it was a fight to have the counter to ourselves. :P

LP, as a quick follow up on that amoeba thing, that Parish is running a chlorine burn through pipes for 60 days, and increasing their checks almost double.  They say that that sort of treatment will eradicate all traces of it.  /fingers crossed for them!/

Athena, you are right, some of those conditions are beyond horrible.  But you are also right in thinking that there is some improvement, and more coming.

Funny, most of my cats don't care for "human" food either, which is a switch from cats we've had in the past.  Before, many times, it was a fight to have the counter to ourselves. :P

:giggle:

For the first few weeks that Xiao-Xiao was here, she`d jump up on the kitchen counter if her food was tardy in getting into her bowl ; I think she`s got used to having 4 meals a day now at regular times, and knows that she`s going to get food, so doesn`t need to advertise her presence.

Did you always have a multi-cat household ? Dinner time must`ve been like, ahem, herding cats. ;)

LP, as a quick follow up on that amoeba thing, that Parish is running a chlorine burn through pipes for 60 days, and increasing their checks almost double.  They say that that sort of treatment will eradicate all traces of it.  /fingers crossed for them!/

Ooh, good to know and fingers crossed here, too. There was quite a bit about it in the paper, but then no updates. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

I love pets, dogs especially. I own a male Yorkshire Terrier named Max. He's four years old and going to turn five on November 30th. I used to own a previous dog, a male miniature sheltie but for personal reasons we had to give him away. I wanted a second dog for a long time, so I went online and did some research on what breed would work best not only for me but the rest of my family. I narrowed it down to three options: a yorkie, a poodle, and a Jack Russel. I ended up choosing a Yorkie because they're a hypoallergenic breed, and they originated in one of my favorite countries (England). Max was given to me on my fifteenth birthday, after we celebrated with cake, my parents walked in with a cardboard box and he was inside it. I pretty much raised him from puppyhood to adulthood. At first, I did want a female Yorkie, but everywhere we looked the prices were just too sky high, and most breeders that we talked to refused to go down. Finally we met this breeder who was willing to cut down a little bit, and that's how my parents picked Max out. I'm happy regardless, a teacup female Yorkie probably wouldn't have been as active as a male. Plus, there's the issue of small Yorkies getting sick too easily.

Edited by Rachel56789

@ Rachel

Nice to hear about your Max, any chance of us seeing a photo of him? My grandparents had a Yorkshire Terrier when I was a child, he was really sweet. I have great memories of him, he was one of the first dogs I remember meeting.

Here's a video of our zijdehoender little chicken being outside for the first time:

Here's a video of our black and white little chickens being outside:

Edited by Athena

@ RachelNice to hear about your Max, any chance of us seeing a photo of him? My grandparents had a Yorkshire Terrier when I was a child, he was really sweet. I have great memories of him, he was one of the first dogs I remember meeting.Here's a video of our zijdehoender little chicken being outside for the first time:

Here's a video of our black and white little chickens being outside:
Sure, but how do I upload a picture?

Click on More Reply Options (so you get the window where you can choose font, emoticons, etc) then click on Choose Files below the post 'box'. If you photo is big in filesize it'd be better to use an external site such as Photobucket or Imageshack.

post-4431-0-11103200-1381310556_thumb.jpg

Thank you Athena for the handy tip! I had to try of course, and now you can see my new cat, 7 months old now but 4 or 5 months in the picture. His name is Tuss ( basically means something fluffy or furry, named so because all his other siblings were short haired, and according to my sons he looked like a fluffy ball of fur next to them.) 

Oh yes, he's gorgeous. And doesn't he know it.

With respect, raycheung  is , i think, a troll......

I suspect he is as well, but on the off chance he's here to actually participate in our community, I felt the need to reply.

Odd though, I've never seen a troll in the whole time I've been here since 2008.  (Granted I tended to be offline for extended periods of time, but still.) 

In fact, aside from this being the best run, well maintained and civilized site, with best group of people on it - that I have EVER come across at ANY other online forum ( and I mean all of this seriously) - one of the things I like best about this site is how great the Mods/Administrators are at keeping trolls and spam OUT.  So I every confidence they will soon figure out if this guy is or isn't, and if he is a troll, will eject him with record speed!

But thanks anyway for the heads up, Itsmeagain!

Wordsgood