Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs

Weave

Hello

Here is the information on the book..

'This is the true story of a boy who wanted to grow up with the Brady Bunch, but ended up living with the Addams Family. Augusten Burrough's mother gave him away to be raised by her psychiatrist. The doctor's bizarre family, a few patients and a sinister man living in the garden shed completed the tableau. In the perfect squalor of their dilapidated Victorian house, there were no rules and there was no school. The Christmas tree stayed up until summer and Valium was chomped down like sweets. And when things got a bit slow, there was always the ancient electroshock therapy machine under the stairs...'

I read this book in a day and I really enjoyed it. At the start of the book Augusten's life consists of silver jewellry, silver tin foil and wearing his mother's favourite black dress and the constant arguements between his alcoholic father and mentally unstable mother, enters Dr Finch, a psychiatrist who Augusten's mother becomes dependent on.

As the story continues we meet Dr Finch's family, his 'adopted' son and we learn about what Dr Finch considers to be normal.

Augusten is suddenly plunged into a world he is not familiar with but soon becomes part of the Finch family and nothing is normal again.

I found 'Running with Scissors' amazing and insightful, Augusten's amazingly wry narration being the best part, his thoughts on his mother, his father,his father and The Finches are funny and insightful.

I would recommend this book to anyone

but be warned there are parts of the book of a sexual nature which some readers may not appreciate, I, myself found them uncomfortable but they are important to the story.

Thanks for reading...