Your Book Activity Today - Thread 12

Janet

Sorry to hear you're not enjoying it, Pixie. =(

It's not that I am not enjoying GWTW. I just have mixed feelings about it. Sometimes it holds my interest, sometimes it drags on. I think I would have loved this book if about three or four hundred pages had been cut. The problem for me it is takes to long to get to the point.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bethany, how did you find the Katherine Howe book? It has been one of my favorite reads :lol:.

I'm loving The Last Witchfinder, and find it so fascinating! I had never really considered that the witch-hunting practice extended across the pond to England in the 1600's, and now I'm reading about how the main character has ventured to the US during the time of the Salem witch trials. So, I will thank Mac, yet again, for such a great recommendation :D.

Visited Barnes & Noble's 3 for 2 table, and came away with:

Agent Zigzag by Ben MacIntyre [A true story of Nazi Espionage Love, and Betrayal].

The Private Patient by P.D. James

South of Broad by Pat Conroy

Also found a sequel...The Nearest Exit by Olen Steinhauer

Ok so I finished Percy Jackson and the sea of Monsters and I started Skullduggery Plesant. already 170 pages in and loving it. Great little read. I am going to be in hospital next week so I should get loads of reading done. My Library book club is Jasper Ffordes The Eyre Affair. Which is great because I had this on my TBR pile and have wanted to read it for a while.

Visited Barnes & Noble's 3 for 2 table, and came away with:

Agent Zigzag by Ben MacIntyre [A true story of Nazi Espionage Love, and Betrayal].

Yes, I have Agent Zigzag tucked away somewhere, waiting to be read. It'll probably be next up when I feel like a bit of non-fiction. It sounds a good story.

Went to the library this morning so the children could sign up for the Summer Reading Challenge. I also borrowed 3 cookery books & bought a library bag with Never judge a book by it's movie on the side :D

Only 100 pages to go in Birdsong so i'm on target to finish it this weekend.

Went to the library this morning so the children could sign up for the Summer Reading Challenge.

Is that the Space Summer challange? My local library is not signing people up until Monday.

Also I want one of those bags. Ihave seen a few people with them, I must ask if i can get them online as my library does nto stock them.

This is my favorite line in GWTW so far. Scarlett wants to re-name a store she owns and Rhett has a great suggestion:

"Caveat Emptorium", assuring her that it would be a title most in keeping with the type of goods sold in the store.

:D:lol::lol:

ok i NEED to stop visting my local bookshop

ive just been in and brought

Country Persuits - jo carnegie

P.S. i love you - cecelia Ahern

the bad mothers handbook - kate long

Five on finniston farm - enid blyton

Perfect Match - Jodi Picoult

Is that the Space Summer challange? My local library is not signing people up until Monday.

Also I want one of those bags. Ihave seen a few people with them, I must ask if i can get them online as my library does nto stock them.

Yes that's right Space Summer Reading Challenge it was the first day today so we thought we'd get in & beat the rush. I'm surprised they didn't have the bag though, perhaps if you ask they'll order some in :D

I have seen other in the city near I live and I want one bad.

As for the kids summer book track. Thats the one. Did your kids do last years? My boys loved that one because it involved Drangons and Magicians:lol:

As for reading. The kids have been little angels and as I have not been well I have sat on the couch reading the rest of Skulduggery. Still a great read and only 70 pages to go. Horray! Mojo is back! :D

This is my favorite line in GWTW so far. Scarlett wants to re-name a store she owns and Rhett has a great suggestion:

"Caveat Emptorium", assuring her that it would be a title most in keeping with the type of goods sold in the store.

:D:lol::lol:

LOL Good one indeed. But the one I use the most in real life is the one she tells her first husband,

Charles

, when he asks her if she will think/worry about him when he goes to war.

Why, Mr. Hamilton, I shall cry into my pillow....every night

or something verra similar. :irked:

In addition to the David Mitchell book I'm reading I've begun Close to Shore by Michael Capuzzo. A true account of "The terrifying shark attacks of 1916" off the New Jersey [uSA] coast.

I've had it on the shelf for several years, even bought it again because I found a nice trade paperback. I'd had it in hardback already, but wanted the paperback so if I wanted to mark in it, I'd feel no guilt. :D

Finished Skullduggery Pleasent. I will write my review later, and I am now starting Journey to the centre of the Earth. My oldest wants to read it with me, so it may take me a while and I might start another one and have two on the go!

I finished Gone With The Wind, finally. :D

I still have mixed feelings about it, but I have to say it is a book I will never forget. I will post some thoughts and my rating in a day or so.

I am going to read Haunted by Chuck Palahniuk next.

I'm 20% through Witz, a 800 page marathon of wordiness, taking my first pre-planned break, and looking forward to something a bit more entertaining. My most recent resolution is to read more novels by female authors, so I bought a copy of Shirley Jackson's We Have Always Lived in the Castle and downloaded Tana French's new one, Faithful Place, to my Kindle. I'll sleep on it, I'm an early morning Sunday riser, the most peaceful and fruitful time of the week for a good read.

Finished City of Ashes while imbibing a beautiful skinny caramel latte this morning :D The second book of the series, and I'm now completely gripped by the story, but damn you Cassandra Clare :D must you leave us with such a huge cliffhanger! :D

Going back to the Morganville Vampire series next, and have read a couple of chapters of Midnight Alley by Rachel Caine already.

A few chapters in to Haunted by Chuck Pahalniuk.

I hope there is some point to it all, and it's not just for shock value, because I am finding it difficult to suspend my disbelief. Frankly, it's not that shocking, either, but maybe that's because I fell for all the hype about this author. :D

I mean no offense to any fans of his here. You all may know something that I don't.