Controversial Topics in YA Literature

Yesterday I had a customer come through my line with a YA book called Before I Die by Jenny Downham. She and a bunch of the other parents here in Fargo are trying to get the book banned from schools because it is about a 16 year old girl who is dying and her main goal before she dies is to have sex. After reading many reviews today on the book trying to a few more opinions about it, I've discovered that its is actually highly recommended and almost every review I've read offers high praise for not only the story but also for the author's brilliant writing. Next week I plan on buying it so that I can read for myself, but I was curious about how all of you would feel about a book like this being avaliable in your children's school library. Below is the synopsis if you'd like to read.

Before I Die Synopsis

Edited by CaliLily

There was worse in my own school library to be honest (such as the infamous copy of Stephen King's IT I never got to finish). I'd let my child read pretty much anything I think, how else could I expect them to grow as human beings of their own?, the important thing would be to be there to talk about what they've read should they want to.

Yesterday I had a customer come through my line with a YA book called Before I Die by Jenny Downham. She and a bunch of the other parents here in Fargo are trying to get the book banned from schools because it is about a 16 year old girl who is dying and her main goal before she dies is to have sex. After reading many reviews today on the book trying to a few more opinions about it, I've discovered that its is actually highly recommended and almost every review I've read offers high praise for not only the story but also for the author's brilliant writing. Next week I plan on buying it so that I can read for myself, but I was curious about how all of you would feel about a book like this being avaliable in your children's school library. Below is the synopsis if you'd like to read.

Before I Die Synopsis

I read this last year I think, and it's not as sordid as it sounds, and the thought of it being banned is absolutely ridiculous. It's more about the fact that a girl wants to live a bit before she dies rather than a randy teen just wanting to get it on. I find this whole banning business very sad and silly indeed. Will taking all of the books in the world that have sex in them away stop teenagers thinking about or engaging in underage sex, of course it won't. For children who have parents that are very strict or too embarrased to talk about growing up and the things it entails, books can be a massive help, and they don't mean that everyone who reads them will rush out to have sex, do drugs or god knows what else. Makes me wonder what these adults really think of their own children, because it can't be anything of any value can it?!

For children who have parents that are very strict or too embarrased to talk about growing up and the things it entails, books can be a massive help, and they don't mean that everyone who reads them will rush out to have sex, do drugs or god knows what else. Makes me wonder what these adults really think of their own children, because it can't be anything of any value can it?!

Even if the book promoted teenage sex you'd have to ask yourself ~ what influence do these parents feel they have had on their children if they consider 1 book to be so dangerous? Would the 10 - 15 years of moral and social guidance they would purport to have given their offspring be so easily destroyed by a book that mentions sex?

Read the book , then as the parent consider it's value, and make your decision about it after that. Don't hear a rumour about a book then hysterically call for it to be banned!

Whenever I hear about parents attempting to have a book banned I always hear the vicar's wife in 'The Simpsons' calling out "Will someone please think of the children!" :giggle:

Chrissy, I had to laugh at that image of the preacher's wife! :lol:

And I agree, parents should trust their kids more and should take more interest in what books they're reading. Don't give in to the fear-mongering of the paranoid, over-protective family groups trying to "save" the world's children.

• 2 weeks later...

Hannah Moskowitz has probably covered every single contentious topic in her YA work, or is working it into future novels, and her blog (which has some very interesting views on YA literature in general) should be mandatory reading for anyone interested in the genre.

I always read ahead of my age, and possibly some of it would have horrified my parents, but I learned so much and became a more discerning thinker and reader as a result of those early texts.

Agreed. I read ahead of my age, too - accidentally ;). My mother picked out books for me at the library and probably just took whatever seemed popular, since some of the books she brought home had quite mature content. But I always preferred learning about controversial subjects through literature rather than be confronted with them in real life.

More on topic, though. I hardly think it's possible to hide subjects such as rape, drugs, sex, etc, from young adults, today. They get bombarded with it in the media on such a regular basis that you might as well be more concerned about what they'll see on the evening news than what they might come across in a book.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been reading this thread previously and was trying to think about whether I support banning books or not. I came to the conclusion that if I felt a book would be seriously harmful to the people reading it then I might support banning it. But I couldn't think of a single book I thought was bad enough to ban as I am usually pretty liberal anyway and most books have some value no matter what the subject.

Well now I have found the book. It has caused an outrage and is for sale on Amazon. Title not for the fainthearted. I spoilered it just because I don't want to look at it.

"The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure: a Child-lover's Code of Conduct "

Anything that promotes or normalises the abuse of children should be banned. I have definitely found my limit.

Holy Cr*p! I can't believe it exists, and I can't believe that amazon are selling it.

I would go check on Amazon UK, but I would hate that title to be in my search history. I do hope it's some kind of joke, or a study, or anything other than what it appears to be from the title.

I have been reading this thread previously and was trying to think about whether I support banning books or not. I came to the conclusion that if I felt a book would be seriously harmful to the people reading it then I might support banning it. But I couldn't think of a single book I thought was bad enough to ban as I am usually pretty liberal anyway and most books have some value no matter what the subject.

Well now I have found the book. It has caused an outrage and is for sale on Amazon. Title not for the fainthearted. I spoilered it just because I don't want to look at it.

"The Pedophile's Guide to Love and Pleasure: a Child-lover's Code of Conduct "

Anything that promotes or normalises the abuse of children should be banned. I have definitely found my limit.

Eeek!!!!!! Can't believe anyone would write such a book :o

Holy Cr*p! I can't believe it exists, and I can't believe that amazon are selling it.

I would go check on Amazon UK, but I would hate that title to be in my search history. I do hope it's some kind of joke, or a study, or anything other than what it appears to be from the title.

Maybe it's a trap to catch paedophiles & whoever orders a copy is monitored by the police:confused:

There was an article about it on the BBC so if it is being monitored there will be a lot of confused people out there, apparently Amazon won't remove it here's the article will give you more info rather than searching on Amazon

Amazon Controversy

Edited by pickle