Apartment 16 by Adam Nevill

Michelle

Adam Nevill first came to my attention when I reviewed Banquet for the Damned, a chilling tale of the supernatural which reminded me of the old style writing of the likes of MR James and Edgar Allen Poe. I was therefore interested to see what Apartment 16 would offer.

I was not disappointed. Adam takes the writing style used in Banquet for the Damned, but takes it up a notch. This time, whilst there are still shades of James and Poe, these have been blended with the more modern style of writers such as Stephen King. If you enjoyed the haunting of Jack within the hotel in The Shining, then you

• 4 weeks later...

I'm reading this at present and am about half way though. As an avid fan of the ghostly tales in the M R James mould, I am enjoying the effect this book is having on me (not to be read late at night:blush:). My only negative reaction to it so far is the language. Whilst not being a prude in any way, I found some of the language unnecessary to the tale - but that is not stopping me from seeing how this really sinister story unfolds.

Great review Michelle :D I bought Banquet for the Damned on your recommendation (thanks for that), I have still to read it, 'Apartment 16' definitely sounds my kind of read, I have added it to my wishlist :irked:

Just ordered a copy from amazon as this really seems like my cup of tea! Does anyone here know if Encounter at North House Road is any good, im looking at reviews and it seems mixed, i couldnt find a thread for it so im not derailing honest, if anyone can let me know if it is supposed to be any good that would be great!

I have to say that Apartment 16 has left me feeling profoundly sad for all the lost souls in the story. I know it is a ghost story, and a very good one at that, but more in the Stephen King rather than the MR James style. I had great empathy for Seth as we watched his life descend into insanity having started the story as a very lonely young man in a big city where you either make it or you disappear from it's big stage. I thought that his character was extremely well handled.

Would definintely recommend this book - not just for the ghostly goings on but for the whole way the city is depicted - as Michelle says, pretty bleakly and I would say for a lot of people, that could be a very realistic view of urban life in today's society, if you are not blessed with friendship.

Edited by SueK
sp

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...