The Last Page of a Book

Steeeeve

I don't know if anyone else does this - maybe it just shows how bad my attention span is or how impatient I am but I find when I'm reading the last page of a book, or even a chapter sometimes, I have to cover the page with a bit of paper to stop my eyes flicking ahead and reading the last line.

I have no willpower. I can't help it. My eyes just do it. Yep. It's my eyes' fault. Not mine.

So am I the only one? Tell me it isn't so!

Yes, I do that too. I don't mean to, but my eyes tend to flick ahead, especially when I get to the last page. I think it's because I'm anxious or excited to be finishing it or something.

I'll usually start skim reading towards the end of books and end up missing whole little chunks that I have to force myself to go back and read before going on. Many times I've read the ending and then gone back to properly read the last chapter. :(

Yeah I do this when I sense something significant/surprising/exciting is going to happen or be revealed. Sometimes I have to cover the rest of the page but most of the time the urge is so strong I just immediately give in to it and glance down to see what happens :):(

I'll usually start skim reading towards the end of books and end up missing whole little chunks that I have to force myself to go back and read before going on. Many times I've read the ending and then gone back to properly read the last chapter. :(

I'm like this too :)

I'm glad I started this thread. It's good to know it's not just me! :)

I'll usually start skim reading towards the end of books and end up missing whole little chunks that I have to force myself to go back and read before going on. Many times I've read the ending and then gone back to properly read the last chapter. :)

Yeah I do this when I sense something significant/surprising/exciting is going to happen or be revealed. Sometimes I have to cover the rest of the page but most of the time the urge is so strong I just immediately give in to it and glance down to see what happens :D:(

I'm terrible for doing that. Skimming over the end. Usually it's because I can't wait to finish and see what happens but sometimes I think maybe it's because all the dramatic stuff has happened so you just want to get past the boring wrap up and start a new book.

Yes. I am shifting the blame again.

And ruining the surprise for myself in an exciting chapter. Shame on me.

My attention span is really short and I am a very curious little badger, so once I've closely read - say - 10 pages and my brain can't take any more I'll skim the next few chapters to see what's in store; I'll reread them properly the next time I pick the book up. I'm also terrible for flicking to the last line when I've barely begun reading something:lurker:!

Clearly :(!

Seriously though, I admire your restraint and commend it as the most sensible course of action. I remember when I skimmed ahead in HP to

Sirius's death

I put the book down for ages because I didn't want to get to that bit!

I do that to sometimes :)

Well, then I guess I'm a freak, too. :) I never read ahead and I can't figure out what it would help to know the end of the book without everything that's happened before. I even ignore spoilers when I have not yet read the book. :(

I never skip right to the end of the book, only ever further down the page, usually to see whether what I think is going to happen actually does, as I can't bear the suspense any longer!

I think the only time I've ever been tempted to skip to the very last paragraph of a book to see how it ends was when I was about three quarters of the way through The Historian. I didn't though - I got my OH to read it somehow thinking that would get rid of my suspense!

Me too. I have taken to handing a book to Dale and asking him to tell me what the last word is - just the last word, not the whole line, as sometimes that helps.

Not only do I do that, but I have this amazing superhero-esque ability to pick out key lines when I do it. If someone has had an accident, or died, or randomly turned up, I WILL see their name and have to read on. And I always check what number page the book ends on and when I do that I always struggle not to read the last line too.

No, never do that anymore. I used to, but I found it spoiled things for me.. so I have taught myself to repress those overly curious tendencies and even start reading slower when I feel the urge to skip ahead come along. I try to make myself absorb the last bit of that page/chapter/book more so than the rest, so I don't miss out on anything. :(:D

I do have the urge and have been known to look ahead a few paragraphs or pages to see if a name of a character is mentioned if where i'm reading it insinuates they may be dying etc but I don't do it anymore. I've found using a bookmark to underline the paragraph or line I am reading stops me from looking ahead and keeps me concentrating on the words at the time.

My bf has in the past the annoying habit of picking my books up and opening the last page and bribing me with the ending, if I don't stop doing something or won't do something he will read the last line or page to me or read it himself and then slip in what happened in conversation later, I always back down though as i'd rather read it in time, obviously lol or he makes stuff up and tells me and it confuses me as I expect something that isn't going to happen...

Edited by chrysalis_stage

I don't know if anyone else does this - maybe it just shows how bad my attention span is or how impatient I am but I find when I'm reading the last page of a book, or even a chapter sometimes, I have to cover the page with a bit of paper to stop my eyes flicking ahead and reading the last line.

I have no willpower. I can't help it. My eyes just do it. Yep. It's my eyes' fault. Not mine.

So am I the only one? Tell me it isn't so!

Yeah, it happens to me too. It's just too tempting - my eyes are just naturally drawn towards the last line. I usually cover the final paragraph with my thumb to make sure it doesn't happen :(

My bf has in the past the annoying habit of picking my books up and opening the last page and bribing me with the ending, if I don't stop doing something or won't do something he will read the last line or page to me or read it himself and then slip in what happened in conversation later, I always back down though as i'd rather read it in time, obviously lol or he makes stuff up and tells me and it confuses me as I expect something that isn't going to happen...

Haha that's brilliant! Not so good for you obviously but a brilliantly inventive form of blackmail! :(