Neil Gaiman's Preferred Text

cosychair

Just wondering if anyone has read the original versions and the newer Preferred Text versions of his novels could tell me if there was any significant difference?

I've just read Neverwhere on my Ereader and really loved it, if there is a significant difference then I will buy a hardcopy of the preferred text version.

I haven't read any other versions of his work apart from the preferred text ones but I think it all depends on the novel in question; for example, American Gods is very different and much longer than it is in any other version because they allowed him to reinstate a lot of cuts he'd had to make to get the thing published in the first place, but I have no idea how different the text of Neverwhere is. The preferred text books also have all sorts of forewords, book club questions etc. if you're into that kind of thing (as I am; I know some people couldn't care less, or even find them downright annoying).

I haven't read any other versions of his work apart from the preferred text ones but I think it all depends on the novel in question; for example, American Gods is very different and much longer than it is in any other version because they allowed him to reinstate a lot of cuts he'd had to make to get the thing published in the first place, but I have no idea how different the text of Neverwhere is. The preferred text books also have all sorts of forewords, book club questions etc. if you're into that kind of thing (as I am; I know some people couldn't care less, or even find them downright annoying).

I'm planning on reading American Gods next so will go with the preferred text then as it sounds like fairly significant additions are included s.

On Amazon it looks like almost 150 pages more in the preferred text edition of Neverwhere, but it was such a perfect story I don't want to risk being disappointed.

I LOVe forwards and footnotes etc, it's more book how could I not. :smile2:

All of Gaiman's novels plus the short story collections Smoke and Mirrors and Fragile Things all have preferred text versions, which is fine by me because I like to have the longest text possible - also, it keeps my shelves tidy ('xcept for the fact that my Anansi Boys is blue for some inexplicable reaso; I might replace it with a black one further down the line to match Neverwhere, Stardust and American Gods).

I saw the Preferred Text of Neverwhere the other day and did wonder about buying it. Is it worth it? Or is it a publishing scam to get you to buy the same book a second time?

I decided in the end to buy Neverwhere and American gods Preferred text version. The Neverwhere version certainly seems worth it there is about 180 pages extra.

As far as I've understood it, when Headline Review was preparing all of Gaiman's novels for publication with uniform covers they asked him whether there were any changes he wanted made and he took the opportunity to reinstate most of the bits he was made to take out by his original publishers, and generally do a big re-edit of everything. I haven't read any other versions of his works but if the forewords are true... then yes, it is worth it.