Candide or Optimism by Voltaire

Janet

This edition translated by John Butt.

012-2010-Mar-17-Candide.jpg

Candide or Optimism by Voltaire

The 'blurb'

Candide was the most brilliant challenge to the idea endemic in Voltaire's day that "all is for the best in the best of all possible worlds."

It was the indifferent shrug and callous inertia that this 'optimism' concealed which so angered Voltaire, who found the "all for the best" approach a painfully inadequate response to suffering, to natural disasters - such as the recent earthquakes in Lima and Lisbon - not to mention the questions of illness and man-made war. Moreover, as the rebel whose satiric genius had earned him not only international acclaim, but two stays in the Bastille, flogging and exile, Voltaire knew personally what suffering involved.

Candide, the illegitimate nephew of Baron Thunder-ten-tronckh, falls in love with the Baron's daughter, Cunegonde. The pair are caught by the Baron embracing in the garden, and Candide is "kicked up the backside" and thrown out. He is coerced into the Bulgars' army from which he escapes and makes his way to Holland. There, he meets up with his old tutor, Dr Pangloss, who informs him that Cunegonde and her entire family have been massacred.

What follows are a number of curious adventures that take Candide and various different travelling companions to Portugal (where he discovers that Cunegonde is not dead after all!), then to South America where they travel through many countries, including El Dorado, the mythical city of gold, where he obtains great riches. Finally in his pursuit of his beloved Cunegonde he travels back to Europe and has various escapades there. Will he and his lost love ever be reunited?

This episodic novel was first published in about 1759, as a witty and sarcastic attack on the theory of 'Optimism' - the belief of (amongst others) Leibniz, a German Philosopher, who subscribed to the theory that "God assuredly always chooses the best" - in other words that although terrible things happen, they are always the best things that could possibly happen because they are God's will.

The character of Dr Pangloss is based on Leibniz - in the novel he and Candide encounter some terrible events, but the doctor always has some "bright side" reasoning for them.

I'm finding it quite difficult to put down my thoughts on paper. I wasn't really sure what to expect from this book, but was a surprisingly easy read. The story is... somewhat strange to say the least, and the reader must suspend disbelief at some of the things that happen! For example, in one adventure, Candide comes across two naked ladies who are being pursued by two monkeys. Candide kills the monkeys only to discover that they were, in fact, lovers of the two women! Anyway, the best way I can think of to sum up is just to say that it's a very bizarre storyline in places, and yet I enjoyed reading it!

Has anyone else read it?

It's a superb book! Witty, clever, deep, satirical and backed with sound philosophical thinking. I studied it as part of my philosophy degree and loved it!

Of course, the effect was heightened by the fact that just before reading Candide, I had been forced to study that pile of nonsense Emile by Rousseau.....

:)

• 2 weeks later...

I've read it a couple of years ago for school,and I thought it was good.Not one of my fav books though.His jokes and sarcasm are so direct,it seemed unusual for his time,or I dunno,just unusual.Or rather unexpected.But at least it's consistent.I did like how it was mental from begining to end,characters appearing and disappearing...

• 2 months later...

I started and finished this book today. What an odd piece of literature! I picked it up because it's on 1001 Books list and Rory Gilmore book list, and because Nick Hornby mentioned it in The Complete Polysyllabic Spree. And it is a classic. I had no notions of what the story would be about. I didn't read the blurb all the way but did notice that Voltaire was a great filosopher and the story is about a young man. So I kind of thought the novel might be very difficult to read and it might be full of philosophical ponderings. Instead, I got to read about the most bizarre series of events. People dying here and there, only to be discovered that they were alive years later.

For example, in one adventure, Candide comes across two naked ladies who are being pursued by two monkeys. Candide kills the monkeys only to discover that they were, in fact, lovers of the two women! Anyway, the best way I can think of to sum up is just to say that it’s a very bizarre storyline in places, and yet I enjoyed reading it!

When I was reading this part, I was astounded! Birds could've made a nest in my mouth and I wouldn't have noticed a thing, it was so wide open. I mean, it's a bloody classic! If I were to write about monkeys going after women and all that, who'd read it in 2010 and 200 years after that? Not one single person. And I dare guess it wouldn't become a classic. :lol:

The book was totally bizarre. I guess I might've missed out all the philosophical ideas and all the hidden meanings and symbolism and all the literary and academic stuff, I've never been any good at philosophy. To me it was just a very odd book. I did enjoy reading it though, which I find even more bizarre :)

I'm listening to this - up to chapter 11 and I think it is bizarre too! There are parts I don't like - thanks for the warning Frankie - but I keep listening because I'm intrigued by this novel

Have it on my TBR pile! Looking forward to it. Seems to be quite an interesting little piece! :lol:

That it is, for sure :) Have fun with it!

That's exacty how I felt! :lol:

I don't think I've ever encoutered such a freakish novel that was a classic as well. Darn shame we didn't have this on in one of our lit courses, I would've liked to hear what the teacher had to say about it :D

I'm listening to this - up to chapter 11 and I think it is bizarre too! There are parts I don't like - thanks for the warning Frankie - but I keep listening because I'm intrigued by this novel

Wow, you got it really fast, did you download it free from the Internet or did you go to the library?

Wow, you got it really fast, did you download it free from the Internet or did you go to the library?

I downloaded it from the internet. I wanted to get in on the conversation :)

That's what it's all about, Kate! :lol:

Hehe, I hear ya! :) When you read the reviews the book has gotten on here, you can't really resist.

I'm glad you understand.

I'm now up to chapter 15 - I am liking the short chapters. It is making the story go faster lol!

I can't get the image of one buttock out my head - especially trying to ride a horse!

I'm glad you understand.

Why of course :lol:

I'm now up to chapter 15 - I am liking the short chapters. It is making the story go faster lol!

I can't get the image of one buttock out my head - especially trying to ride a horse!

The

"loose" buttock

was another thing I couldn't believe :)

• 1 month later...

19380.jpgSynopsis:

A flamboyant and controversial personality of enormous wit and intelligence, Voltaire is one of the most intriguing figures of the eighteenth century Enlightenment. His masterpiece is Candide, a brilliant satire on the theory that 'the world is the best of all possible worlds.' The book traces the picaresque adventures of the guileless Candide, who is forced into the army, flogged, shipwrecked, betrayed, robbed, separated from his beloved Cunegonde, tortured by the Inquisition, etc., all without losing his resilience and will to live.

I don't know what to say about this novel, except that is was very strange! The story follows Candide on his journey through life to find love and such life. However, he often finds himself in mischief or witness to some extraordinary stories. None of this puts him off his mission though.

This is truly bizarre. I read it as it is on The Rory Gilmore list, and as I sit and reflect on the novel I just don't know what to say. There are elements of this story that will stay with me for a long time - such as the woman with one buttock or the ladies who entertained themselves with monkeys. These things are just odd. I've read other reviews of this book and found that people laughed all the through - I didn't, I was more bemused than anything. I didn't know what to think.

For me, this wasn't a book that was about liking the characters. I think I only finished it because I wanted to know what other crazy scenarios Voltaire could think up. This book contains rape, murder, theft, slavery and a whole host of other things. This is not my usual read and thankfully it isn't very long - less than 200 pages. I don't think I enjoyed this book, I finished it just to see what else would come out the woodwork. Only 3/5 for me.

• 1 year later...

I read it a few weeks ago. I love it. I think it is quite fun due to the satire. Fun like Don Quijote is fun.

I appreciated it so much more the second time I read it, the first time was in school and I just felt forced to read it. This time I chose to read it and I was more perceptive of it. And I like the character of Candide. He is so naive that it makes him likable.

Lots of happenings in the book that makes you go "huh...", but it was short and very fast-paced. I appreciated that.

I think I should read Don Quijote, then! :)

I'm curious, how old were you when you had to read this for school?

I don't really recall that. I was somewhere between 15-17 I believe. I wish I could remember which teacher we had for this, cause then I would remember my exact age.

Anyhow, this book along with Therese Raquin (by Emile Zola) & Singoalla (by Viktor Rydberg) are VERY common reads for school in Sweden.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really recall that. I was somewhere between 15-17 I believe. I wish I could remember which teacher we had for this, cause then I would remember my exact age.

I was mainly curious about whether you read this in junior high or high school and I'm happy that it was the latter :lol:

Anyhow, this book along with Therese Raquin (by Emile Zola) & Singoalla (by Viktor Rydberg) are VERY common reads for school in Sweden.

I've never heard of either of those books :blush: Gosh, I can't think of any common mandatory reads in high school, other than the Finnish books. I mean of course we read foreign literature but no titles come to mind at the moment.

I just finished Candide and it is more philopsophical than I previous satire I read called in Spanish "El Lazarillo de Tormes." This extra aspect to it made it feel much more relevant as the central theme was that everything works out for the best. The author seems to reject this notion however his position is not quite clear. Maybe it can be said that his position is more in between optimism and pesimism. Hard to tell at the end and I won't spoil the end for others. But totally a worthwhile read! 5/5!