What do you collect?

Book Fiend

I'm sure I'm not the only person here who is a collector by nature, so what do you collect?

I collect foreign bank notes, generally old ones but I also keep some from wherever I go on holiday. I started a few years ago after deciding I wanted some bank notes from the USSR (don't ask why!) and it grew from there. I really love history, and I think it's a very interesting (and quite cheap) way of getting your own piece of history.

In my collection I have:

- two bank notes from the 1960s from the USSR with pictures of Lenin on them

- one Russian note from 1898!! I find it amazing that a piece of paper can survive for 112 years.

- two German bank notes from the second world war (I hasten to add that I don't collect Nazi memorabilia!!)

- a beautiful Japanese bank note from the 1930s (I think) with a picture of a mountain and cherry blossom

- a 500000000000 Dinara bank note from Yugoslavia from 1993

- and finally, my pride and joy, two bank notes from Cuba from the 1960s when Che Guevara was president of the National Bank, and famously signed all the bank notes very informally, just as 'Che'

So now I've bored you with details of my collection :) what do you collect?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I collect antique books and penguins. The whole penguin thing started when I was about 9 or 10 and I was a huge fan of the Pittsburgh Penguins hockey team. Though I switched my team loyalty years ago, I still continue to collect penguins. My most recent addition is a cute little stuffed one from the Omaha Zoo and I plan to get another one next weekend when I visit the San Diego Zoo and Sea World in California. :)

I collect cameo brooches and necklaces. I only have a few pieces of costume jewellery at the moment, though, but they're all very well made (I'm particular) and I often have people ask me "is that an antique?" when I wear them. :) I also very much love old-fashioned style lockets, but affordable ones are hard to come by, so it might be a while until I'm able to start a collection of those.

SOULS!!!!!

Actually just books if they're included. I don't have enough room to collect anything. I'd like to collect something like antique pocket watches but I'm yet to find a money tree.

:blush: Oops.... *Runs away from soul collector*

I collect soft pigs - I have about 25 of them, in all shapes and sizes - some pink, some brown, some white. They have their own sties and names are arranged in little family groups on about 3 shelves in our bedroom. Some day I will write a book about all their adventures. :blush:

I collect soft pigs - I have about 25 of them, in all shapes and sizes - some pink, some brown, some white. They have their own sties and names are arranged in little family groups on about 3 shelves in our bedroom. Some day I will write a book about all their adventures. :blush:

I wanna see the pig collection!!!

I'm not sure how much you need of something to call it a collection or that you are collecting them...I seem to collect and hoard too many things, books, wildlife magazines, ale/beer bottles which I enjoyed or with different labels/names (mainly wychwood), hats - I am slightly obsessed with hats of different shapes and sizes (need more :blush:). I collect stamps too - not strict just see them as small pieces of art (especially like them if they are of wildlife) I have four bat skulls and a skeleton and would like more of other creatures too. I have loads of stones/ big rocks from my travels and I press flowers occasionally. I have many items relating to the Giant Panda, old tys and some pocket dragons.

Edited by chrysalis_stage

OK, i know its odd but here goes: I collect Post Its! You know the sticky bunch of colored papers that are common in offices and factories the world over? Well i work in a lab and they are essential when reviewing documentation, and they come in all colors and sizes, so i get a mate of mine who works in a college to hand over any spare post it bundles he has plus i always buy a packet when im in Lidl as they are quite cheap.

Some i stash at home, still in their wrappers, others i bring into work and use.

And no, im not insane!!:blush:

I took up collecting ring pulls many years ago. I don't know how many I have but it must be in the tens of thousands by now. I always hoped that I'd be able to sell it to someone (scrap metal or whatever) and then I'd be rich. Now I'm just collecting out of habit. Actually someone at my Mum's work knows a disabled person who is collecting them to raise money for something to better his life, and I intended to pass them on (they would help him a lot!) but I didn't hear anything else about it.

Besides books, I collect pictures online. I have about 5,000 images stored on my computer. I have a huge collection of wallpapers, Bleach manga pages (which I edit as a sort of pseudo art form), and thousands of other pictures. I find them to be very inspirational, in all areas of my life.

I also collect teacups and teapots. A more conventional collection, I guess. :blush:

I have a small stamp collection, I used to collect stamps when I was a kid.

I also collect a special version of Arabia porcelain, it's a series called "Willow" but since the motives vary a little, it's just the one with the motive called "Canton" that I'm really interested in. Luckily, it's hard to find which means that all I have is a convenient excuse to go browsing in antique shops and fleamarkets. :blush:

I don't collect anything yet (although I have toyed with the idea of starting a collection of bookmarks and copies of A Christmas Carol!).

My son used to collect Kangaroos and has lots of them (although he's grown out of collecting them now!) because when he was really little, he had an imaginary pet one called 'Boingaroo' who used to go everywhere with him - and get the blame when my son was a bit naughty! :blush:

I have a pretty extensive Fiestaware collection but haven't added to it in years. I'm also always on the lookout for old jazz LPs to add to my collection of about 200, and I have a small collection of tiny chairs by designers Eames, Stickley, Le Corbusier and Aalto :blush:.

When I was younger I used to collect teddy figures and I had quite a few. I got rid of them a few years ago although I'm not sure if I kept a few somewhere.

Does keeping all my books count as collecting because if so I collect books :blush:. I also keep issues of Company and Glamour magazine that I buy monthly, although my collection is not that big...yet :tong:

Anything with Eeyore on it including: too many stuffed toys, cushions, pj holders, hot waterbottle holders. I have around 25 mugs, two glasses, four egg cups, two bowls, different sizes of ornaments, two money boxes, a dangly toy for my phone, a phone sock, key ring, posters, mousemat, inflatable eeyore hanging from my curtains :blush: I also have pens, stationary, a pencil case, a purse, a small book called Eeyores Book of Gloom, slippers, pjs, a watch, a nodding eeyore, photo frames, a trinket box, and a clock. I also used to have posters but took them down because I redecorated.

It's also a standard thing in my family that all my birthdays are eeyore birthday cards and wrapping paper. Most of the things above have been gifts :tong:

Ok, now that I've wrote it down, I think I've got a bit of an obsession.