The Lives of the Mayfair Witches series by Anne Rice

maedhermit

I have read about two books of this series. The Witching Hour and Lasher, I think. Also, I read Merrick in the Vampire Chronicles, and the other sort of cross-over books. To me, they're not nearly as good as the Vampire Chronicles. Also has to do with the fact I don't like witches as much as vampires, but that said, I also think these books are more chaotic, plus I just can't get myself to feel any sympathy for any of the lead characters.

Plus, I really don't like these Taltos creatures.. I have quite a bit of imagination, and it's not that they're so alien that doesn't work for me. I just think the whole thing is far-fetched, and it just.. doesn't work. Don't know, for others it does, because there are plenty of people who adore this more than the Vampire Chronicles, but for me, nope. Also, all the cross over books between the series, are less than the others to me. The characters that come from the Mayfair series are just not likeable. At least, the ones belonging to the family. Mona (especially her, I hate her), Rowan.. I would be perfectly happy if I never have to read about them again. :lol:

I'm slowly making wy way through The Vampire Chronicles so it has crossed my mind to read these some day but I'm in no hurry.

Have you read them? Did you enjoy them? What are they like compared to The Vampire Chronicles? :lol:

I've read The Witching Hour (which is fantastic), Lasher, Taltos, Merrick, and Blackwood Farm. In my opinion, the first three are the best, as I'm not a huge fan of Anne Rice's crossover books, although Merrick was pretty good.

I haven't read the Lives of the Mayfair Witches series, but I have encountered some characters in the cross-over books - there are three of these in the Vampire Chronicles; Merrick, Blackwood Farm and Blood Canticle (correct me if I'm wrong, of course). So, the only opinion I have to offer is of the characters. Merrick the character I found intriguing, but the narrator of her story let me down, which resulted in me not liking the book so much. The Mayfair family - the more prosperous side, Merrick was from the wrong side of the track, so to speak, if I remember correctly - features quite strongly in both Blackwood Farm and Blood Canticle. I have mixed feeling towards them, though. A few of the characters were likeable, but others annoyed me to no end.

I doubt very much that the Mayfair Witches could, in any way, compete with the Vampire Chronicles. The little I do know about it, isn't nearly as appealing. But I'm thinking that perhaps it wouldn't be such a bad idea to give them a try. Just out of curiosity. :friends0: