Any Suggestions?

I recently read The Carbon Diaries 2015 by Saci Lloyd which is a YA book and I really enjoyed it. I wanted to check it has been released in Australia, and found a brief review by The Age, and they've actually covered the sequel as well if you like the first one (but no spoilers about either in the review). My review is here, but it's got a bit of romance and a look at a near future if global climate change starts to make a big difference, so it's sort of a science fiction but based on reality.

Angie Sage's Septimus Heap series; 'Magyk', 'Flyte', 'Physik', 'Queste' and 'Syren'.

They are wonderful books, and beautifully illustrated.

She has also written another series, Araminta Spookie, but I haven't read these.

Phillip Pullman's Dark Materials trilogy, 'Northern Lights', 'The Subtle Knife' and 'The Amber Spyglass' are a must for anyone.

I agree with Chrissy on Angie Sage. a lot goes on in those books.

another YA trilogy I just mentioned in another thread is Amanda Hemingway's trilogy: book 1-Greenstone Grail, book 2-Traitor's Sword, book 3-Poisoned Crown. it may be something you might like to check out.

• 3 weeks later...

I recently read the first book of a YA trilogy by Libba Bray called A Great and Terrible Beauty. The book is fantasy with a dab of romance about a girl who moves from India back to England after a tragedy and begins having visions, which leads to trying to fit-in plus magical realms and a secret society. I'm looking forward to getting the other two: Rebel Angels and The Sweet Far Thing. It may be something you'd enjoy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I read a lot of YA books last summer, some of my favorites were:

The Hunger Games & Catching Fire *****

The Forest of Hands and Teeth ***

Wake & Fade **

Unwind ***

The Maze Runner **** (I recently read this)

• 2 weeks later...

a recent book which has not long been out is Hyddenworld - Spring, by William Horwood. the main characters are two teenagers and it is set in the hidden world of the little people around Birmingham, England.

after this one there will be three more books come out over the next few years called Summer, Autumn, Winter.

not a bad read.

• 3 weeks later...
I've heard a lot of good reports about a book called Guantanamo Boy by Anna Perera.

Oh I'm so glad people are talking about how good it is!

I adored this book: it was my pick for the Lancashire Children's Book Award. I would never have picked it up if it hadn't been on the shortlist, but I just loved it. I think Perera is a really skilled author. She balances a really horrifying tale with age-appropriate writing, so that although it's terrifying, it's never unmanageable. I think it deserves a better cover and a LOT of fans :lol: