Books that just appeared magical to you when you first spotted them?

vinay87

Well, if the title wasn't lucid enough, what I mean is have you read any book that just appeared magical to you for some reason.

Ever since I was about fourteen, I'd been looking at a book at my favourite book shop. I couldn't afford it back then but I'd just take the book off the shelf every time I went to the shop, stare at the cover and try to make sense out of the blurb on the back. It was part 9 of a series and the shop didn't have the other parts in the series.

I always knew I'd love the book. Indeed, I loved it even then. The cover, the smell, the sheer look of it. I didn't understand the blurb, it didn't make much sense to me. But I somehow knew that it'd be a favourite book for me someday.

Then in 2006 I got frustrated and asked the shopkeeper to get me the rest of the books in the series. Since my word is mostly command there, being their most loyal customer for 10 years, he found the rest of the series and I immediately purchased the first book of The Wheel Of Time.

I bought the next two books in the week after I got the first book and the rest of the books (including book nine) in the next ten months. Even though book nine is most out of place, sporting a different cover compared to the set, I prefer it that way because it was the book I fell in love with.

I know that most fans believe that Robert Jordan's books sadly peaked at book 3 and has been going downhill ever since. I don't believe that and for me, book nine Winter's Heart is still one of my favourite books.

WoT09_WintersHeart.jpg

So do you have a book that magically forced you to read it?

Edited by vinay87

Awww, that's such a cute story ;) it's left me all warm and fuzzy inside, and desiderous to read The Wheel of Time - which, I must admit, has up until now always daunted me.

As for your actual question, gosh and golly. I'll have to think about it.

I felt this way about Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles. I used to stand in the bookstore, swooning over them, scraping money together to purchase one - any one, I didn't read them in order - and devouring it the minute I did. I loved being submerged into her world. ;) And besides two I didn't thoroughly enjoy, they were well worth the obsession.

Oooooh....good thread!

I definitely swooned over the Harry Potter books and always tried to figure out what was going to happen in the story by the illustrations on the cover.

When I was a kid I had a boxed set of classics that I'd take out of the box, read the blurb and then put them back in a different order. They took pride of place on my desk and I still have them (minus the box unfortunately.......my little Sister scribbled on them when she was about 8 and I've never forgiven her :D)

Great story vinay87:D

I remember searching for years for a book called 'Child Possessed' by David St.Clair, I borrowed my friend's copy at school and thought it was a great story, returned the book and searched for my own.

Anyway, I was talking to my husband about the book and a few days later,my husband and I were in a comic and second hand book shop and I looked around and there it was ~ Child Possessed!!!! :D

Edited by Weave

The most recent book that did that for me was The Russian Concubine by Kate Furnivall. There was something about the cover that was just so magical to me. Every time I walked into a bookstore or down the book aisle at the local grocery store, there it was, staring at me from the shelf. I finally got a copy and read it just a few months ago. It was definitely enchanting and lived up to the glory of it's cover.

Considering how short it isn't... just how fast do you read *is in awe*?

lol...

My reading speed varies a lot. For classics, it's about 30 pages an hour. For light fiction without much depth anywhere from 120 to 200 pages an hour. I read the last three Harry Potter books in three hours each. :D

But RJ... the first time through took me a year.

The second time, maybe two months.

I think the third time was the same amount of time.

The fourth (and currently ongoing read) is through audiobooks at night. I listen to three chapters and then fall asleep. I've listened to the awesome rendition of the books in audio by Michael Kramer and Kate Reading from BooksOnTape and I'm in love with it. Few audiobooks are so well done. RJ should be happy. I'm currently in the middle of the seventh book.

Massive I tell you. But then again, some books can be 60 pages long and they last forever. RJ's books are around twenty times that each and yet they seem so short. (Well, except the tenth book which should have been a doorstopper.)

The Coldfire Trilogy, by virtue of the cover art of the first book.

This is it, in it's original form (the artist sells prints of his book covers).

tarrant2-1.jpg?t=1265770442

That is just beautiful.

On a side note, I think even Les Miserables called out to be read... Something about the blurb and the name Jean Valjean. That has become my favourite name in all of fiction.

Edited by vinay87

For me, it has to be The Plucker: An Illustrated Novel by Brom.

plucker.jpg

I was in the library with a friend who was returning some books and I saw this one face-out on the shelf. I never go to the graphic novel section, but the artwork on this cover really stood out and screamed for my attention. I picked it up, had a quick flick through a few pages and then immediately marched to the desk to borrow it.

I loved it so much that I read it three or four times before taking it back.

Off the back of that book, I got his next one, The Devil's Rose, when it was released (which was a Xmas gift in 2008) and then The Child Thief for Xmas 2009 - along with my first love, The Plucker (which I'm savouring slowly at the moment).

From falling in love with the cover at first sight, I fell in love with Brom's writing as well as his artwork and I know that each and every one of his novels will end up in my home as they are released.

First off, great thread here Vinay87.

I really like to see the covers of fantasy/alternative books, whether I'd read them or not.

Kell, you've just sold a copy of 'Plucker' for Brom. Had I seen that in a bookshop I'd have pulled it free too. It looks fantastic and I feel compelled to order it immediately.

Nostalgic reading for me would have to be 'Ogre, Ogre' by Piers Anthony, and Colin Wilson's 'Spider World'.

The cover artwork isn't of the same calibre as what's gone before, but they were the two books I credit as really getting me into reading.

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/IMAGES/2585-1.jpg

file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Owner/My%20Documents/IMAGES/n14090.jpg

Okay, so the pictures aren't here, but still, you can imagine.

Kell, you've just sold a copy of 'Plucker' for Brom. Had I seen that in a bookshop I'd have pulled it free too. It looks fantastic and I feel compelled to order it immediately.

Yay! You know what? You're SO going to end up with The Devil's Rose and The Child Thief on your shelf too! :roll:

My love of books really began with the Point Horror series of books which came out when i was about 11 or 12. The stories generally followed the trend of "character gets silent phone calls and sinister notes, gets stalked and in the end the culprit turned out to be his or her best friend"!!. I used to LOVE waiting for the next book in the series to come out and they also had very imaginative and appealing front covers.

They were written by a few authors and although some were terrible the majority were enjoyable. I vividly remember saving the 3pound price from my pocket money and being proud as punch as i walked home to read them. So corny when i look back at them now ha.:ditto:

haha reminds me of my short-lived loved for RL Stein's books.

There was no better author back in the 90s to describe how vulnerable babysitters were. 16yr old girls and telephones do not mix! :lol:

:ditto: I saw these books in a charity shop recently (8 for