So, you've just discovered a prose portal

A device that allows you to physically step into any written text ever created; assuming, of course that you have the original version to feed into the machine, (but we'll take that as a given).:D

Into which work of fiction would you delve, and what would you do whilst you were there? Which character(s) would you most like to speak with? What place(s) would you like to visit? What impact would you like to have on the 'world'?

Yes I have been reading 'The Eyre Affair' :friends0:

Apologies if a similar thread is already in existence:blush:

I'd love to step into some of Jane Austen's novels for a little while:

P&P - to go to the dances and watch Elizabeth and Mr Darcy falling in love. I also think I'd enjoy talking to them both as they're interesting characters.

Northanger Abbey - to soak up the atmosphere and explore the titular building.

Mansfield Park - to shake the hand of Fanny for being such a good and upstanding person.

Emma - to give Emma a good slap and tell her to stop meddling in other people's affairs - LOL!

I would step into the world of either the Kushiel's Dart, or the Imriel series, by Jacqueline Carey.. this world has sucked me in from the start, I love it.. is sort of a medieval Europe, but with an alternate history where the main god that is worshipped, has sprung into existence from the blood spilled by Jesus on the cross. His decree? "Love As Thou Wilt". And this is the main theme of these series. I love it, and I would love to visit Imriel. He stole my heart. :friends0:

John Marsden's Tomorrow, When the War Began. Yes, it's about war and terrible suffering, but a part of me has always wondered how I would cope in that situation, and whether I would be able to be as brave as Ellie and her friends.

I would go into Pride and Prejudice, but only if I could take the place of Elizabeth Bennett. :D

I would also love to visit the world Norton Juster created in The Phantom Tollbooth. It was just incredible!

And I wouldn't mind following PG Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster around for a little while, watching their antics. :friends0:

And Harry Potter's world of course!

I'd quite like to go into The Boy Who Reversed Himself by William Sleator (which I read when I was a kid) as the main character is able to go into the 4th and 5th dimensions and I always thought that would be pretty cool to see.

I'd also love to go into Ronia; The Robber's Daughter by Astrid Lindgren (another one I read as a child but have re-read several times as an adult and still adore it!). It's set in such a beautiful forest filled with strange creatures and a robbers' fort, so it would be quite exciting!

If I could guarantee immunity to Captain Trips, I'd love to visit the characters in The Stand by Stephen King. Every time I read that book I fall a little more in love with Stu Redman, so I suspect I'd probably try to steal him away from Franny!

And, of course, I'd love to visit Pratchett's Discworld. I think I'd start in the Ramptops and visit the Witches first, then head over to Ankh Morpork, although that could be the last thing I ever did as I'd probably accidentally wander into The Shades and never be heard of again - LOL!

Interesting. No question I would jump into one of Jack Vance's many worlds. Maybe the world Tschai from his Planet of Adventure series. If I managed to survive that I would go to the unnamed water planet from the Blue World. ;)

You are writing a book Vinay?

I've finished the first draft of two books. I'm writing my third one alongside the second draft of another book now.

I was actually considering starting a thread to request readers to read the chapters of the second draft as I dish them out. I write faster with readers you see. And since I can write about a chapter or more in a month, I wanted to ask people here if they'd read but I'm still unsure. It's a fantasy genre novel consisting of ten parts. I've been writing the first book on and off for eight years and I've finally found my need/drive to write.

Yeah, I'd love to be in the world(s) of my book. Mostly because I started writing this book (and the others) because I wanted to read a book like that. I'm still not near the perfection I so desire but I'll get there. One metaphor at a time.

I'd love to spend the day at Hogwarts ;) I'd hide in the room of requirement and never leave!

I'd also like to visit Neil Gaiman's Under London in Neverwhere as it sounds so vibrant and full of colourful characters.

I was toying with the idea of Bon Temp in Charlaine Harris's Sookie Stackhouse Series but there always seems to be trouble lurking around the corner :censored: Maybe not!

I'd love to spend the day at Hogwarts ;) I'd hide in the room of requirement and never leave!

Which begs the question, what would you find in the room of requirement? :censored: (Unless it's too personal, feel free to not answer!)

Which begs the question, what would you find in the room of requirement? ;) (Unless it's too personal, feel free to not answer!)

Good question! I'm really not sure. I think at first it would just serve as a place for me to hide until the portal forgot all about me not returning. It would have to contain a bed, fresh clothes, a shower, a bookcase full of my favourite books, food, writing materials and a tv with all my favourite movies on DVD. I'm thinking cosy :censored:

I was actually considering starting a thread to request readers to read the chapters of the second draft as I dish them out. I write faster with readers you see. And since I can write about a chapter or more in a month, I wanted to ask people here if they'd read

Idea stealer (I've already been the proud owner of one such thread, I'll have you know) ;) I joke, I joke, I don't mind.

As for the Prose Portal, I'd probably put Elizabeth Bear's Ink and Steel in it, though I haven't read it yet - then again maybe that's even better, I could experience it all first hand: Shakespeare, Marlowe, Lucifer, the Faeries... *rejoices*!

Idea stealer (I've already been the proud owner of one such thread, I'll have you know) ;) I joke, I joke, I don't mind.

:censored: I did get the idea from you... But I think I'll wait for a few weeks (read that as until I get my Netbook) till I try the same.

I'm not asking for detailed reviews though. Just want to know if everything's in place and you know... the usual. "Bleh" "Meh" "I like it" "OMG! IT'S AWESOME" "I'LL NAME THE EIGHTH SON OF MY EIGHTH SON AFTER YOU!" etc.

Edited by vinay87

I would love to step into the world of Brother Cadfael and the Abbey at Shrewsbury - although the books are written in such a way that you feel you are already there.

I would also like to delve into the world of Sherlock Holmes for a while.

I'd go to Narnia :censored:

I have been pondering this one since the question was originally put, and Narnia was the first 'place' I thought of! :censored:

The world that encompasses Angie Sage's 'Septimus Heap' series of books is also very appealing.

If I were single I'd happily dive into a Linda Gillard novel, as she writes the best manly faulty, vulnerable and gorgeous heroes! ;)