Oscars 2010

Mexicola

I would love to stay up and watch the Oscars but I don't think you can get coverage on Freeview :D Will be looking for live streaming though if I can find it :D

That Hurt Locker producer is an idiot and his excuse of it being his first time nominated doesn't really cut it!

Yeah, I think it's being shown on Sky Movies, which I don't have either. I guess I could order it and then cancel the next day?! But even then I'm not sure I'd be able to stay up! They should definitely show it on a more universal channel!

I know, lame excuse. I don't know what he was thinking! I do hope the film gets some wins, but he's just gone and tainted it a bit!

I am glad someone else enjoyed district 9 and also that it has some nominations as i think it was a great depiction of how humanity treats each other from apartheid and immigration points of view and that being different means you lose your humanity, it was more than a film about aliens landing on earth...really want to see Hurt Locker as loads of people have said how good it is.

I really enjoyed District 9, one of the best films I've seen in a while!

Wow, Chartier is an idiot! First-time nominee or not, how can you think it's okay to solicit votes? Sheesh.

I'm excited for Sunday! Every year a big group of us have an Oscar party and fill out ballots. I always have a hard time voting because I always want to vote for who I want to win when I should be voting for the person who I think will win. We have a prize even for most right and most wrong on the ballot :lol:. So far I've only seen A Serious Man, District 9, Crazy Heart and Fantastic Mr. Fox though, and I loved them all so hopefully they'll each win something. I'm going to try and squeeze in Up in the Air this weekend.

Which pics/actors/actresses do you guys want to see win?

Surely The Hurt Locker should now be disqualified from the Best Picture category and he from the Best Director category (if he was up for that) as a result of his breaking the rules?

I am really really rooting for Jeff Bridges to win Best Actor. He has been my all time favourite actor for many many years, and I think he's long overdue for an Oscar. Having seen practically every movie he's ever done (and there are a LOT!!) he has never turned in a less than flawless performance. This is his fifth nomination. And he got a standing ovation when he won the Golden Globes - an actor who is very well respected by his peers.

I hope Avatar doesn't win Best Film. Partly because I really dislike James Cameron, and partly because I don't think a movie should win based on the fact that it has amazing special effects (sure, it should probably win the Best Special Effects category, but imo, amazing special effects do not necessarily mean that a film deserves to win Best Picture).

Edited by Ruth
spelling

Surely The Hurt Locker should now be disqualified from the Best Picture category and he from the Best Director category (if he was up for that) as a result of his breaking the rules?

I don't think he was the director of the movie - that was Kathryn Bigelow, who is also James Cameron's ex-wife. I would not like to see everyone else who worked on the movie penalised over the actions of one man. But I definitely agree that Chartis should not be allowed to attend the ceremony.

Edit: Although thinking about it, if it did win Best Picture, how could people be sure that it wasn't at least partly due to some ill-gotten votes? What a mess!!

I don't think he was the director of the movie - that was Kathryn Bigelow, who is also James Cameron's ex-wife. I would not like to see everyone else who worked on the movie penalised over the actions of one man. But I definitely agree that Chartis should not be allowed to attend the ceremony.

Edit: Although thinking about it, if it did win Best Picture, how could people be sure that it wasn't at least partly due to some ill-gotten votes? What a mess!!

I agree that everyone else should not be penalised for Chartier's actions. I guess it does create an awkward situation, but I doubt any voters would be the least bit swayed by his silly pleas!

Peacefield, your Oscars party sounds so cool! I wish I'd seen more of the nominees for best picture but out of those I have seen I'll definitely be rooting for The Hurt Locker (over Avatar).

Thanks for posting the winners list, Mexicola!

I'm extremely happy for Jeff too, he gave a very sweet speech. Did anyone else think though that the ceremony was kind of boring? It just seemed to drag on and on for me :). I was also really looking forward to hearing the nominated songs performed, but they didn't do that that year so I was disappointed. Oh and it was odd that they forgot a couple people who died last year in their tribute montage!

I was absolutely thrilled for Jeff Bridges. He has been my very favourite actor for about 10 years now and I have seen almost every film he has been in. Long overdue for an Oscar!! I loved his speech - he was always so close to his parents. His wife looked SO proud of him:)

I was also very pleased that Kathryn Bigelow won Best Director and Best Picture. James Cameron was rather ungracious when asked about I thought, but I was not surprised by that.

Very surprised that Farrah Fawcett and Bea Arthur were left out of the In Memoriam section. They both very much deserved to be there.

I saw 'Avatar' and whilst it's special effects were amazing .. it's plotline and dialogue were not .. it didn't deserve to win 'Best Picture' but did deserve 'Best Visuals'

I was pleased for Jeff Bridges .. great actor.

• 4 months later...