Blacklands by Belinda Bauer

runner

Hi all

First posting and a big hello from Bristol....I just thought I would mention this book as I am reading at the moment..

I am half way through this rather bleak and disturbing book. Youn Steven spends his time digging holes on Exmoor trying to discover the body of his Uncle..until he decides that is to write to the killer Arnold Avery for information as to the whereabouts of the body!! This is the core of the book the relationship between Steven and Avery....who is attempting manipulate him in every way he can. I am now at the half way stage, it is a very easy read and I should finish the book today, there is a lovely macabre and desolate atmosphere set against the Moors. A great first novel by an upcoming author and I thoroughly recommend :D

it's not difficult to read in that respect The character of Avery is subtly and gently done, however the way he manipulates young steven lamb is brilliantly told. I am close to finishing ( and i started yesterday) and i would rate this as an excellent book to read even given the subject matter. If you read do let me know what you think.

I also see you are reading the time travellers wife...have you enjoyed? I read recently and could not understand what all the hype was about. I was recommended by a work colleague and she rated as one of her all time favourites....not my style...and the recent movie looked way short of the mark

having finished the book would recommend very easy read could be finished in one day. Although the book deals with sensitive issues they are dealt with in such a way as to never make the reader feel uncomfortable.

Hi runner. I finshed Blacklands today! Agree it is certianly an easy read as I only started it on Saturday afternoon. Whilst i found the story fairly interesting I would still only rate the book about 6/10. My main problems with the book are that I feel the characters are a little one dimensional and the plotting is just a bit too predictable and convenient. There were aspects I did like and thought the author dealt with the issue of the previous deaths carefull, not going into too much detail.

I think it is ceratinly a promising start for the author and I would definitely give anythings else she writes a go, but am going to put this book on my read it swap it page as i don't think I will come back to it.

I would agree what you say about the characterization tunn and I would hope that Belinda Baur has lots more to offer in her forthcoming books it will be good to see and read how she develops as an author

• 1 month later...

I read this in just one day, and would give it about 4 or 5 out of 10. I found it reasonably interesting without being gripping or exciting at all. I will be giving it away as I don't think I will want to read it again.

Edited by Ooshie
removed one word