Sherlock Holmes and the Brighton Pavilion Mystery by Val Andrews

Kate

This novel sees Val Andrews writing a Sherlock Holmes mystery. In this book Holmes comes out of retirement and solves a murder in Brighton. A woman has gone missing and a man has mysterious turned up at the Royal Pavilion but there are no signs of forced entry. The police are clueless and as a bet Watson agrees Holmes could solve the investigation.

I think Andrews was very brave for writing a Sherlock Holmes novel. They are very famous and Conan Doyle was an excellent writer. Although this is not up to Doyle's standard, it was not a bad book. It was a good storyline with twists and surprises and I liked how Andrews wrote the characters. It didn't have the subtle humour I have found in the original books but as far as he could Andrews has been true to the characters.

I think I will probably stick to the original Sherlock Holmes novels this was not a bad read and not a bad attempt at another Holmes sequel.

3/5

• 5 months later...
This novel sees Val Andrews writing a Sherlock Holmes mystery. In this book Holmes comes out of retirement and solves a murder in Brighton. A woman has gone missing and a man has mysterious turned up at the Royal Pavilion but there are no signs of forced entry. The police are clueless and as a bet Watson agrees Holmes could solve the investigation.

I think Andrews was very brave for writing a Sherlock Holmes novel. They are very famous and Conan Doyle was an excellent writer. Although this is not up to Doyle's standard, it was not a bad book. It was a good storyline with twists and surprises and I liked how Andrews wrote the characters. It didn't have the subtle humour I have found in the original books but as far as he could Andrews has been true to the characters.

I think I will probably stick to the original Sherlock Holmes novels this was not a bad read and not a bad attempt at another Holmes sequel.

3/5

This sounds quite interesting Kate. I have to admit that for me the jury is out on people who write an SH mystery - there some that are good and some are just plain awful. This sounds quite a good one and I may add it to the TBR list.

If you are looking for a good take on SH, I would also recommend Caleb Carr's The Italian Secretary - which actually got me into reading the real thing.

I must admit I've not tried to read any of the Sherlock Holmes 'sequels'. As a Holmes fan I've always been sceptical about the spin-off novels. Do you find they're an addition to the experience or a bit of a disappointment?

I must admit I've not tried to read any of the Sherlock Holmes 'sequels'. As a Holmes fan I've always been sceptical about the spin-off novels. Do you find they're an addition to the experience or a bit of a disappointment?

It really is amazing how many spin offs there - you only have to look them up on Amazon! I think it really depends on the writing (more than the plot in my opinion). Some writers have really caught the character of Holmes and some have just done a pastiche of the man and written a so called intricate plot that they would like Holmes to solve. As I mentioned above, I think Caleb Carr captured Holmes very well in The Italian Secretary.