Ian Rankin

I read a few of his from the library a few years ago - I can't remember which titles but I did enjoy them.

I think it might have been Ian Rankin who wrote under a different name as well, although I may be getting confused with someone else. :lol: Does it ring any bells for anyone? I remember really enjoying the book, but can't remember the name of the author or the title of the book! I was pregnant at the time and I've had 2 more since then - no chance of remembering anything!!!:)

Sorry for the ramble - hope it makes sense :D

I think it might have been Ian Rankin who wrote under a different name as well, although I may be getting confused with someone else.

He used the pseudonym Jack Harvey on one or two. Was it Blood Hunt? It was quite a decent thriller anyway.

Re: his website forum. I found that a couple of years ago, but it keeps getting taken down for some reason. For weeks or months at a time.

• 3 months later...

I have read them all now, except the latest, Exit Music, which has not yet arrived at the library. I think the ones in the middle of the series are the best, from Tooth and Nail to the Falls, for instance. But anyone who has only read Knots and Crosses, and been disappointed, should persevere as the later ones are much better.

I have not yet read Blood Hunt, but Witch Hunt was excellent, while Bleeding Hearts was not so good, but certainly different subject matter.

As for Ken Stott as opposed to John Hanna, I also think of John Hanna when I read the books. Ken Stott might be the right shape, and no doubt a good actor, but I wonder if the person who wrote or directed or produced the series actually read the books? Something missing there, though the actresses playing Gil Templer and Siobahn certainly fill the bill.

I always look forward to an appearance by Big Ger. Big Ger and the Strawman. What a pair!

• 6 months later...

I have read many of the Rankin books and generally enjoyed them as an uncomplicated easy read. Over the series of books he expands Rebus in a way that is only partially plausible, though in the current climate of public accountability I am not sure Rebus would survive reviews and professional appraisals in the police force. This was one of the reasons I was (and remain) particularly attracted to 'Resurrection Men' though the book twisted into a different area from the one I hoped.

Having appeared quite critical of his work I would like to emphasise I think his work is fun and I did enjoy it - just be prepared to not take too many reality checks when you read.