Cosychair 2010 Reading List

cosychair

So far this year I've read:

Too close to home by Linwood Barclay. I enjoyed this novel, raced through it in 2 days, as always Barclay is fantastic with characterisation but wasn't very keen on how it ended maybe a bit too obvious and coincidental. But would still highly recommend.

The girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig larsson. Loved love loved this amazing characterisation, plot, fast paced but with lots of detail which I really enjoy.

Almost finished The girl who played with fire by Steig Larsson. Same as above, this one seems a bit more fast passed, I didn't get the twist so that impressed me.

Edited by cosychair

TBR 2010

KEY

Navy TBR

Green Read

The Girl who kicked the Hornets nest by Steig Larsson.

Grave sight by Charlaine Harris.The first book of the Harper Connelly series, this will be the first Charlaine Harris novel that I've read, seen some of the True blood series and keep meaning to get into the books but I'm a bit vamped out so decided this sounds much more to my current taste.

Books 2,3 and 4 of The harper connelly series by charlaine Harris.

Fallen by Lauren Kate.

The Little stranger by Sarah Waters. Mmm was looking forward to this but a bit nervous now I've heard it's meant to be very scary.

The Angels game by Carlos Ruiz Zafon.

Finish the other half of Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell, was really enjoying this but it needs a lot of attention so I've put it down for a little while.

Daphne By Justine Picardie

The swan thieves by Elizabeth Kostova

Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel

The childrens book by A.S. Byatt

The ruby in the smoke by philip Pullman

[/color]The house at midnight by Lucie whitehouse

Remarkable creatures by Tracy Chevalier

Fear the worst by Linwood Barclay currently on hold couldn't get into it.

Her fearful symmetry by Audrey Niffenegger

Neverwhere by neil Gaiman

Dissolution by C J SANSOM

The secret of lost things by Sheridan Hay

The shakespear curse by J.L Carrell

The secret mandarin by Sara Sheridan

Dead until dark: Sookie stackhouse book1 by Charlaine Harris.

A Thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini

The god of small things by Arundhati Roy

Theodora by Stella Duffy

NON-FICTION[/color]

The selfish gene by Richard Dawkins

Howard's end is on the landing by Susan Hill. All about the author Susan Hill reading books that she has at home instead of buying new ones. The irony.

Carlyle's House and other sketches by Virgina woolf, forward by Doris Lessing.Re-read.

Edited by cosychair

The girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig larsson. Loved love loved this amazing characterisation, plot, fast paced but with lots of detail which I really enjoy.

I've just started reading this one. I got it as a "going on maternity leave" gift from a couple of work colleagues, but never got round to picking it up (at the time, I'd never even heard of it). Then last night I saw a trailer for the film and liked the look of it, so I thought to myself, "I really should read that book!" and picked it up to start reading in the bath. :console:

The film looks amazing can't wait to see it just hope they keep the original Swedish dialog with English subtitles instead of dubbing it.

Hope you enjoy the the book.

I can't wait to see the film, could you tell me if it's got English subtitles or dubbed?

oops just seen it was dubbed, so glad.

The second quote comes from the thread about the book and I'm confused - I thought you wanted it to be subtitled but in the second post you say you're glad it's dubbed!

Where did you read it was being dubbed - I thought the official site said it had English subtitles?

The second quote comes from the thread about the book and I'm confused - I thought you wanted it to be subtitled but in the second post you say you're glad it's dubbed!

Where did you read it was being dubbed - I thought the official site said it had English subtitles?

Oops meant to say glad it's subtitled not dubbed.

I wasn't sure if it would have the subtitles because the Trailers I had seen had no dialogue making it unclear, especially as I believe they have dubbed the German version.

But they were ACE, Janet! Like Silas and Heidi!!!

Eeee, I used to have a thing for Heidi. She may even have been my first crush...

On topic, though, Stieg Larsson is officially one of my heroes. What a trilogy. I sincerely hope that they use subtitles instead of dubbing, too. Can you imagine Cinema Paradiso dubbed?!?

If anyone has ever read a Neil Gaiman book I'd love a recommendation, I'd like to start reading a bit more fantasy this year.

Neverwhere or Stardust are my 2 favourite Gaiman books but you should also try The Graveyard Book or American Gods - hope that helps :D

Neverwhere or Stardust are my 2 favourite Gaiman books but you should also try The Graveyard Book or American Gods - hope that helps :welcome:

Hi Fi thank you for the recommendations I looked Neverwhere up and decided to try that first, I used to live in London and love documentaries on cities underground histories so this sounds exactly like something I'd like.

Edited by cosychair

Finished Girl who kicked the hornets nest, a bit disappointed although I still loved the book it just wasn't on par with the first two, far too ramble at times and I would have liked some more team work between Mikael and Lisbeth. Overall it still kept me griped and felt it offered a fitting conclusion to a wonderful trilogy.

I'm willing to accept that maybe it was my own fault I was disappointed, I was so keen to find out the ending maybe I rushed it without appreciating the writing of the subtle character developments and minor plot details that it had to offer, so I plan to listen to it in audio to see if it changes my opinion.

Regardless I still think these books will be going down in my all time favorites list.

Grave sight by Charlaine Harris.I loved this book a quick easy read, I really like Harper and Tolliver interaction with one another and the fast paced plot kept me gripped. Have already bought the 3 other books in the series to read over the weekend.

Edited by cosychair

Finished books 2,3 and 4 of the Harper Connelly series by Charlaine Harris.

Really enjoyed these books, they were lights reads that I could devour in a day.

Book 2 was a fairly light read with a simple plot, with Harper and Tollovers relationship getting some more focus. The relationship between them is interesting enough to keep me wondering how it was going to to grow and change without it disturbing the development of the plot.

The Mystery side of the series for me really took off in book 3 An Ice cold grave, for a short easy read this was a dark tale of a serial killer targeting young boys some of the scenes depicted left me with goose bumps and was far harder hitting that what I was prepared for keeping me gripped.

The 4th book, Grave Secret, plot finally sheds light on Harpers missing sisters fate, the plot is more intricately woven than the previous books with misdirections and twists galore until the climatic end that left me rather surprised.

I dearly hope there is a books 5, I'm very interested to see how the revelations of book 4 effect Tolliver and Harpers and wither it changes them as people or even as a unit, I'm also interested to see how Charlaine Harris takes the series forward with the series getting gradually darker.

Edited by cosychair

Currently Reading Fallen by Lauren Kate, I'm on page 90 and not getting into it finding the characters rather irrating and the writing style too, there is only so many times I can read that the Luce is Embarrassed/blushing/awkward/humilated etc etc it just seems so cliched and rather poor writing skills almost like the writer though ah yes teenage girls the excruciating years and has to constantly remind us of what it's like to be a teenager, as if she has no confidence in her writing of Luce to be able to communicate it to us without constantly spelling it out for you.

But I like the idea of the novel so I'm trying to perceiver.

Also dipping in and out of Howard end is on the landing and loving it, will write more about once I've finished it.

Edited by cosychair

Finished books 2,3 and 4 of the Harper Connelly series by Charlaine Harris.

The 4th book, Grave Secret, plot finally sheds light on Harpers missing sisters fate, the plot is more intricately woven than the previous books with misdirections and twists galore until the climatic end that left me rather surprised.

I dearly hope there is a books 5, I'm very interested to see how the revelations of book 4 effect Tolliver and Harpers and wither it changes them as people or even as a unit, I'm also interested to see how Charlaine Harris takes the series forward with the series getting gradually darker.

I am glad you mentioned the 4th and 5th book i had given up on there being a 4th will now have a look for it as i have really enjoyed this series.

I am glad you mentioned the 4th and 5th book i had given up on there being a 4th will now have a look for it as i have really enjoyed this series.

I hope you enjoy it, IMO it's the best so far. :readingtwo:

Lets hope there won't be to long to wait for a 5th.

Howard's End is on the landing by Susan Hill.

This was a fabulous book for book lovers, Susan Hill has put together a memoir of mini essays with her musings on books,authors and the way we read now. It's written is a straight forward conversational manner, almost like you were chatting to a friend, full on antidotes of all the authors she has met throughout life from Bruce Chattwin, Ian Flemming to Iris Murdoch, and what she reads and why.

I loved how down to earth she was concerning on what to read, she's very much of if its good it's good don't stick your nose up about it school, I laughed out loud when she retells how each generation in her household were reading Harry potter one night. She advocates not viewing books as precious objects to marvel at and instead to use them for what they were intended, that a well thumbed version of your favorite novel should just be as precious as a 1st edition of a best seller. Which is just as well this was my bath book and is now covered in water marks and toothpaste and well and truly a well thumbed favorite now. :roll:

Fallen by lauren Kate

Quick synopsis: Luce is sent to a grim reform boarding school after she was present during the mysterious death of a boy she dated and her claims that she is stalked by shadows. She is quickly befriend by a group misfits and sweet natured Penn, whilst she is instantly attracted to Daniel whom she immediately feels connected too. Unfortunately Daniel behaves if he is repelled by Luce.

With the brutal regime and the shadows closing in on Luce she needs the help of the group to survive...

My Opinions:

Well I decided to stick with this book and I'm glad I did, once it settled into the fantasy part of the book it greatly improved, in fact the last 150 pages were excellent which just makes the first half of the book even more disappointing.

Suddenly the charectrisastion of the teenagers developed past the stereotypical behavior/attitudes into real three dimensional people lending weight to the overall mythology otherwise it might have been too unbelievable.

I was greatly impressed by the betrayal and did not see it coming at all, it added to the tension wonderfully, the brutality of it made

the war

seem much more plausible.

I found Penn's death very tragic I wasn't prepared for that at all, the scene has certainly stayed with me.

The premiss of this novel certainly has a lot of potential and I plan on reading the next in the series when it's released, sometimes it is worth having a little patience.

*I decided against putting a synopsis from waterstones and Amazon as they give away some of the plot.*

Edited by cosychair

Dead until Dark by Charlaine Harris

This is the 1 st Sookie Stackhouse, being that I have watched the first series of True blood I was familiar with the plots and characters involved but still enjoyed it. I liked Sookie far more in the book, she had a gentle nature but could be quite tough when the occasion called for it, I particularly liked her reticence towards

developing a relationships with Bill

sometimes the female protagonist in vampire novels swoon a bit to much for my liking.

The ending certainly has me keen to begin the next book but I'll wait awhile I don't want to overdose on Charlaine Harris.

• 4 weeks later...

Dear me it's been awhile, lost my mojo for a bit due to being so busy with work I just didn't have the energy to read during my commute or in the evenings.

Just about to finish The ruby in the smoke, loving it Philip Pullman has never let me down.

I'm still reading The children's book, reading it in chunks then putting it down for a few days to truly appreciate it giving it the time it deserves.

Bought Wolf Hall by Hilary Mantel yesterday looking forward to it, but quite weighty so might leave it awhile.

Howard's End is on the landing by Susan Hill.

This was a fabulous book for book lovers, Susan Hill has put together a memoir of mini essays with her musings on books,authors and the way we read now. It's written is a straight forward conversational manner, almost like you were chatting to a friend, full on antidotes of all the authors she has met throughout life from Bruce Chattwin, Ian Flemming to Iris Murdoch, and what she reads and why.

I loved how down to earth she was concerning on what to read, she's very much of if its good it's good don't stick your nose up about it school, I laughed out loud when she retells how each generation in her household were reading Harry potter one night. She advocates not viewing books as precious objects to marvel at and instead to use them for what they were intended, that a well thumbed version of your favorite novel should just be as precious as a 1st edition of a best seller. Which is just as well this was my bath book and is now covered in water marks and toothpaste and well and truly a well thumbed favorite now. :)

Thanks for the review ... I have this on my TBR list but I'm waiting for the paperback.

Sounds like a great book .. I love books about books :roll:.

Thanks for the review ... I have this on my TBR list but I'm waiting for the paperback.

Sounds like a great book .. I love books about books :roll:.

It'll be worth the wait.

I'm such a geek too, love reading books about people who love reading books. :)

• 2 weeks later...

The ruby in the smoke by Philip Pullman, the first Sally Lockhart novel.

Soon after Sally Lockhart's father drowns at sea, she receives a strange anonymous letter. The dire warning it contains makes a man die of fear at her feet. Determined to discover the truth about her father's death, Sally is plunged into a terrifying mystery in the dark heart of Victorian London, at the centre of which lies a deadly jewel.

Pullmans Victorian London is a gritty city full of Opium dens and Villains, the attention to detail in the setting and characters creates a vivid reading experience. I loved the way all the main characters came together to form their own little family/gang.

The novel as a whole is very fast paced with some unexpected twists that thrill the reader but it also detracts a little from the novel as a whole, the ending felt rather rushed. Ultimately the speed of it means the plot in the final chapters suffered a little and lacked sophistication. Despite that I enjoyed it and will at some point read the rest of the series.

• 2 months later...

Ooops went missing in action for awhile, good news is I've had a massive lifestyle change and can now devote much more time to all things books.

I finished the Children's Book by A.S. Byatts back in March wow that was a truly fabulous. I wrote a very long passionately detailed review and my lappy ate it. :blush: Will try to get around to doing another review for it at some point.

Then I lost my mojo, I had read something so wonderful that nothing could compare, so if anyone has read The children's Book and loved it and knows of something in a similar vein then please do let me know.

Currently I am re-reading (first read about 10 years ago as a teenager) I capture the castle by Dodie Smith.