Time Traveller's Guide To Medieval England by Ian Mortimer

vodkafan

I love history books. But usually when reading one you have to stretch your own imagination to try to put yourself "into the landscape" as it were.

That is exactly what this book sets out to do, By asking you to imagine yourself as a first time visitor at a particular place and time and has given you a guide book with all the basic essentials to find your way around. The author asserts that his is a new approach of looking at history - I am not totally sure it has not been tried before - but it is certainly a very good and entertaining read.

Make no mistake though, it is a proper history book, there are copious notes in the reference section at the back. And lots of contemporary illustrations in colour.

As it is a non-fiction book, It is not a spoiler to tell you that the short chapters deal with the following topics:

The landscape, the people (high and low), essential info, the medieval mindset, clothes, travel, eating, health, law and order, and lastly what medieval English folk did for entertainment.

By the way the author restricts himself to the fourteenth century only.

If I have any niggles with the book it would be that maybe Mr Mortimer could have pushed the time traveller aspect even a little more; he gently reminds the reader every now and then when description threatens to get a little dry. Keeping it fun is what makes the book different and makes facts stick in the memory.

I would recommend this book.

James

• 3 years later...

I have this book. I love learning about history, but struggle with reading non fiction books as they can get boring. This book started out amazing, i loved it though it does become more like a normal history book the more you read. (to be fair, i haven't finished it)