Mirror, Mirror on the wall, Will Vinay read these by next fall? (2010)

vinay87

Great reviews Vinay. I don't think I have Mysterious Island so I'll definitely have to get a copy. I have an old video with animated version of this and A Journey to the Center of the Earth which I have watched many times throughout my life. :)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just finished reading Pearl S. Buck - The Story Bible Part 2 : The New Testament.

Not much to say here, compared to the previous part, this one seems a bit too religious. I'm not saying that's a bad thing but I was very impressed with how I could read the first part as a long story compared to this which I took more than a month to read.

Still 10/10 though for having retold one of my most favourite stories.

haha yes James I have! I got a tad confused since I don't frequent BCF as such. I hope to remedy that soon! Coming here keeps me reading loads.

Merry Christmas and a belated Diwali to you and your family too!

Edit: Currently reading Lew Wallace - Ben Hur. I'm loving the book a LOT so expect a long winded review!

Edited by vinay87

I'm glad to end this reading year with a review of Lew Wallace - Ben Hur.

I'd be surprised to learn someone has heard of this book first and then the movie. The movie, starring Charlton Heston is a family favourite and I've watched it so many times that it's embedded strongly in memory. I've always wanted to read this book but I hadn't come across it till quite recently. Having finished it, I can clearly say that though the movie has changed a lot from the book, it is a wonderful portrayal of the story.

That being said, read Ben Hur. It is a classic that is as timeless as the story of Jesus. It's a wonderful story to read to children by the fireplace if the stories of Christmas begin to sound monotonous. It's an even better story to share with your loved ones if you want to see how an ordinary man interprets the coming of the Messaiah in his own fashion.

The constant question will daunt every reader, even if you know what's eventually going to happen.

The story, as everyone must know, is about a Judean prince Judah Ben Hur. After his childhood friend betrays him, he is condemned to the galleys for life and his mother and sister are whisked away to Roman prisons. Surviving three years in the galleys, a feat that makes everyone gape in surprise, he saves a Roman and is adopted. The story builds, not to the unique chariot race as the movie makes us believe, but to the story of the Christ. In the movie, we see Jesus as a passing figure, whispers come to us of his doings. But in the book, we have a better perspective of the many questions that must've troubled Ben Hur. Is the King of the Jews the redeemer in the sense that he will be more powerful than the Caesars? Or, as Balthasar believes, is he King over the Heavens instead of the puny earth that mortals walk upon?

Of course we know the answer now, but read the book to look through the eyes of Judah Ben Hur and be thrust right into the tumultuous times of the coming of Jesus.

10/10

Edited by vinay87