Multiple Books

Vladd

A while back I had a major sort out of books etc. To my surprise I discovered I had six copies of Frederick Forsyth's Dog's of War, now one copy was in very good condition and I remember buying it along with Day of the Jackal and The Odessa File, but the other copies were all a little tatty, they look like I had picked them up at car boot sales or jumble sales. Now has anyone else discovered multiple copies of books but don't remember buying them or is it just me? My wife has started to make to comparisons to Mel Gibson having to buy The Catcher in The Rye in Conspiracy Theory

Nope, never done that, then again I don't really have that many books. A little over a hundred I think, mainly due to limited funds, let call it that. ;) I do have multiple copies of books, but that's when I originally buy a book in dutch, then decided later english is better and buy it in english. But nothing like having 6 copies of the same book.:lol::roll:

Last week I was sorting out my 'to read' piles and found I had two copies of Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith, and two copies of Neither Her Nor There by Bill Bryson - neither of which I've read yet!

One copy of The Diary of a Nobody had an ancient TV series tie-in cover, so that went and I picked the nicest looking Bryson!

Having six of the same is bordering on insanity though! :lol:

Last week I was sorting out my 'to read' piles and found I had two copies of Diary of a Nobody by George and Weedon Grossmith, and two copies of Neither Her Nor There by Bill Bryson - neither of which I've read yet!

One copy of The Diary of a Nobody had an ancient TV series tie-in cover, so that went and I picked the nicest looking Bryson!

Having six of the same is bordering on insanity though! :lol:

I definitely recommend Diary of a Nobody - I read it last year and it was charming and comic, a really lovely read.

I've never ended up with 6 copies of anything, but quite a few times I've bought a second copy of something. It seems inevitable when you have almost 600 books on your TBR pile. And a bad memory to boot!

^that's why, when it's time for christmas or my birthday, and people ask me what I want and I say to them books, that I always give them a list of books I'd like, usually a long list so they can pick and choose, but I give them a list and tell them to please shop from that or buy a gift card, cause then I might not get double books. :D Maybe less fun, but saves hassle.

I give folks a list too and ask them to check with my hubby BEFORE they go out and buy them to avoid duplicates (there have been numerous occasions in the past where people have ignored that last piece of advice and I've ended up with several copies of the same book - fortunately, I've always been able to exchange them for others of the list!). This was the first Xmas I didn't get duplicates because everyone actually paid attention this time - LOL!

Never bought a book I already had a copy of. I've probably got around 620 books in my library at the moment, but I know each and every one very well. Besides, the kind of books I buy are not easy to find so it would be difficult to buy a 'spare' by accident.

I have multiples of a few Stephen King books, but that includes both US and UK 1st editions amongst the actual error purchases. There are paperbacks I've bought that weren't intentional though - for some reason I keep buying the Twilight Zone novels, even though I probably have all of them by now. And Michael Moorcock books, but only because they have all been re-released at least three times with different covers. I remember the books I have by their covers, so when I see a cover I don't recognize I buy it. Idiot that I am, right?