Chimera's bookish escapades 2010

Chimera

So, my last book blog got abandoned on the wayside a long time ago, due to a failing mojo and lack of reviewing motivation, but I'm going to give it another go. See where 2010 takes me book wise...

I don't have particular targets but I do hope to read more than I have recently and want to pick up my Disney Classics challenge. I've alseo recently discovered audiobooks, along with walking to work. :blush:

In this thread I'll list the books I've read, along with links to my reviews wether they be on the forum, the BCF Review Blog or my own blog. On the other hand I won't list my wishlist/ mount TBR as that would just put me off it :lol:

Please feel free to jump in with comments/ questions/ suggestions/ or just any random comment :lol:

Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister - Gregory Maguire

A great gift from my secret santa, this book is an excellent read and really made me look forward to getting hold of more of this author's books :blush:

Blurb from Amazon: We have all heard the story of Cinderella, the beautiful child cast out to slave amongst the ashes. But what of her stepsisters, the homely pair exiled into ignominy by the fame of their lovely sibling? What fate befell those untouched by beauty ... and what curses accompanied Cinderella's looks?

Set against the backdrop of seventeenth-century Holland, CONFESSIONS OF AN UGLY STEPSISTER tells the story of Iris, an unlikely heroine who is swept from the lowly streets of Haarlem to a strange world of wealth, artifice, and ambition. Iris's path becomes intertwined with that of Clara, the mysterious and unnaturally beautiful girl destined to become her sister. While Clara retreats to the cinders of the family hearth, Iris seeks out the shadowy secrets of her new household - and the treacherous truth of her former life.

Review: I was puzzled by the parallel between this novel and the tale of Cinderella at first. Not that it’s not apparent –there are lots of pointers right from the start – but because it didn’t really seem necessary… What I was expecting was a kind of ‘pastiche’ of the centuries’ old tale, a novel holding up mainly because of that parallel. But that’s not what I got. I got much better.

With it’s historical setting, intriguing story-line and subtle characters Confessions of an Ugly Stepsister is a fascinating read. We kind of know how it’s going to end of course, but that’s not what’s most important… what’s important isn’t who’s going to end with whom, but how they will get there. And who everyone really is. Because the fairly stereotyped characters we are introduced to at first might very quickly change faces.

Nothing is at it seems, not least because none of them really want to face the truths. And that’s where Cinderella comes in really: one more way to dress up the stark truth a little, make it glimmer, transform it in an exciting adventure. Cinderella isn’t the foundation of the novel, it’s the narrator’s way of relating to her own story, a much darker, real one.

Edited by Chimera

• 3 weeks later...
Great review, Chimera - I've seen this author mentioned a few times now, and all the books sound intriguing, so I'm adding him to my wishlist now :lol:

Great, I hope you' enjoy it as much as I did!

Glad you liked Confessions :friends0: am I right in thinking this is your first Maguire? If so, may I prod you excitedly and reveal that Wicked/Son of a Witch are (wait for it) even better?

It is indeed, and I certainly will pick up his other titles! I had my eye more on Mirror Mirror but will have a look at these as well. Thanks for the suggestion :)