Chesilbeach 2010

chesilbeach

Title: To Kill A Mockingbird

Author: Harper Lee

Publisher: Vintage Classics

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis (from book cover):

"Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird."

Atticus Finch gives this advice to his children as he defends the real mockingbird of this classic novel - a black man charged with attacking a white girl. Through the eyes of Scout and Jem Finch, Lee explores the issues of race and class in the Deep South of the 1930s with compassion and humour. She also creates on of the great heroes of literature in their father, whose lone struggle for justice pricks the conscience of a town steeped in prejudice and hypocrisy.

Review:

This is one of those books I've always meant to read but never quite got round to it, but with the 50th anniversary coverage recently and its inclusion on the Rory Gilmore Book Challenge, it seemed like now was as good a time as any to give it a go.

I have to admit, I've never seen the film in full yet I still somehow had managed to have some preconceived ideas about this book. I'd assumed it was entirely about the trial in which a white lawyer defends a black man accused of attacking a white girl in America's Deep South of the 1930s. What I actually got was the tale of Scout, the young daughter of widowed attorney Atticus Finch, and her brother Jem growing up in a small town. The friendships they make, the society around them and the forward thinking father, and while the trial is just a small part of the story, the build up and consequences of it, have a huge impact on the lives of the Finch family.

There are many themes dealt with throughout the book, including racism, gender roles and class, but all discovered through the eyes of a child, giving an innocence to the style and an unprejudiced honesty to the narrative. Atticus Finch is perhaps the greatest father in literary history, with Scout portraying him as an easy going and almost remote parent, what he actually does is provide the children with a loving environment and the building blocks they need to become independent, just, fair individuals who understand the importance of standing up for what you believe in.

If you haven't read this book, I would definitely recommend you do. Not because it's a "classic", but because it's a marvellous piece of storytelling, and a wonderful read.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Title: The Secret Lives of People In Love

Author: Simon Van Booy

Publisher: Beautiful Books

Rating: 5/5

The stories in The Secret Lives of People in Love are set in present day New York City, Wales, Cornwall, Paris, Rome and Greece. Simon Van Booy explores love's labour and love's loss with masterful simplicity and in touching detail. His prose is spare, economical and evanescent; his characters are vulnerable and private; his voice is reverent, haunting and profoundly humane.

Review:

Exquisite. There really isn't a better word to describe the latest collection of short stories by Simon Van Booy from Beautiful Books. Tales of love and loss are beautifully written, with the emotions flowing off the page and into your heart.

I am in complete awe of the mastery of a writer who can express the depth of a love between a man and woman, and the heartbreaking sadness of loss within the confines of a story that is only a few pages long, but Simon Van Booy achieves just this.

The first book of his short stories I read was Love Begins In Winter, and these ranged from 25 to 70 pages in length. Although there are some longer stories in The Secret Lives of People In Love, they are on the whole much shorter in length, some just a few pages long. In fact, my favourite, "The Reappearance of Strawberries" is only three pages, but heartbreakingly poignant.

A truly wonderful book that has shot to the top of my favourites list for this year.

• 2 months later...

Wow, haven't updated this one in a while! :blush:

I'm going to have a bit more time free now, so I'll try and catch up on my outstanding reviews, but they may not be in order any more, and I think I'm about 30 books behind, so it will still take me a while to get up to date, but at least I'm making a start :D

Title: The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud

Author: Ben Sherwood

Publisher:

Synopsis (from waterstones.com):

As a boy, Charlie St Cloud narrowly survived a car crash that killed Sam, his little brother. Years later, still unable to recover from his loss, Charlie has taken a job tending to the lawns and monuments in the New England cemetery where Sam is buried. When he meets Tess Carroll, a captivating, adventurous woman in training for a solo sailing trip around the globe, they discover a beautiful and uncommon connection that, after a violent storm at sea, eventually forces them to choose between death and life, past and present, holding on and letting go.

Review:

I read this book in 2005 when it first came out, but as it's one of my reading groups books for next month, I thought I'd re-read it to see if it was a enjoyable as I remembered. Thankfully, it was, but as much as I loved it, I still preferred Sherwood's first novel, The Man Who Ate The 747, but I still wouldn't hesitate to recommend The Death and Life of Charlie St. Cloud. I'm eagerly looking forward to the authors next book, which I believe is due out next year.

Edited by chesilbeach

• 2 weeks later...

Title: The Thirteenth Tale

Author: Diane Setterfield

Publisher: Orion

Rating: 2/5

Synopsis (from waterstones.com):

Angelfield House stands abandoned and forgotten. It was once home to the March family - fascinating, manipulative Isabelle, brutal, dangerous Charlie, and the wild, untamed twins, Emmeline and Adeline. But Angelfield House hides a chilling secret which strikes at the very heart of each of them, tearing their lives apart...Now Margaret Lea is investigating Angelfield's past - and the mystery of the March family starts to unravel. What has Angelfield been hiding? What is its connection with the enigmatic writer Vida Winter? And what is the secret that strikes at the heart of Margaret's own, troubled life? As Margaret digs deeper, two parallel stories unfold, and the tale she uncovers sheds a disturbing light on her own life...

Review:

The opening chapters of this book held such promise (how can an avid reader not be drawn in by the description of someone who lives in a bookshop!), but as the story began to unfold, I became disenchanted as I felt it was laden with cliché and melodramatic. There were parts of the story I thought were completely predictable, while the twists I didn't see coming seemed to be almost shoe-horned in as if to prove that the author could be unpredictable. I also felt the tone of nostalgia throughout the book made the story slightly cloying.

Having said all that, it's an easy read and the plot does run along at a spritely pace, keeping you turning the pages. I liked the way Vida told her story to Margaret, and the description of how Margaret chose to record the sessions. Most of the loose ends are tied up neatly at the end of the book, and left with the promise of what is to come in Margaret's own life.

I know others whose opinion I respect have loved this book, however, it was just not my cup of tea. I did finish it, but I felt it was a bit of a chore at times, but I did want to see how the author resolved the story.

Edited by chesilbeach

Title: Something Beginning With

Author: Sarah Salway

Publisher: Bloomsbury

Endearing and naive, Verity Bell can't imagine aspiring to more than her job as a secretary. Now her best (and only) friend Sally has found a boyfriend and spends all her time with him - when he's not with his wife. Verity needs to fill up the gaping hole left in her life instead of obsessively listing reasons why Sally should not be with that rat. Then she meets John. He's perfect, wonderful, romantic, and married with children. Verity has never seen his wife, Kate, but she starts to suspect that his excuses for not leaving her are rather poor. But people have been taking advantage of Verity for as long as she can remember.

Review:

I loved the style of this book. The author has chosen to write it as an A-Z style glossary, e.g. B is for Baked Beans, and in a couple of paragraphs, she explains what Baked Beans mean to Verity, and at the end, there is a cross-reference to God, Mystery Tours and Noddy. Now you might be thinking, how can this work as a narrative for a story, but it actually works brilliantly. Each entry reveals a little bit more about Verity and her life, and you gradually learn how she became the woman she is, and where her relationships have lead her.

It's a deceptively simple story of a young woman, but as the tale unfolds, particularly towards the conclusion, you understand how Verity has arrived at this point in her life. The author places hints and clues about Verity throughout the book, and that last few pages I found heartbreaking to read, but I can't really say more than that without giving anything away.

Although it may appear and first glance to be a light and fluffy chick-lit book, far from it, this is a cleverly constructed but ultimately fulfilling story that really made me think.

Title: The Catcher In The Rye

Author: J. D. Salinger

Publisher: Penguin

Synopsis (extract from waterstones.com):

The story is told by Holden Caulfield, a seventeen- year-old dropout who has just been kicked out of his fourth school. Throughout, Holden dissects the 'phony' aspects of society, and the 'phonies' themselves: the headmaster whose affability depends on the wealth of the parents, his roommate who scores with girls using sickly-sweet affection.

Review:

This is one of those books that I'd always meant to read, but never quite got round to it, so when it came up on the Rory Gilmore book challenge, it seemed a good opportunity to make a start on it. Written in an informal manner, it reads like an intimate conversation with the author, full of the contemporary slang of the period. Holden is a disaffected youth, still mourning the loss of his brother, and making that transition from adolescence to adulthood.

There isn't really a plot as such, the book is more of a snapshot of a few days in Holden's life, albeit a few days when he considers the state of his life and shares his thoughts with the reader. It means the story doesn't have a defined beginning or conclusion, and doesn't provide any resolution, but I felt it left me with enough insight to make my own conclusions as to where Holdens' life would go in the future.

It's not a bad book, and I can completely understand how this book talks to teenagers, and still continues to, but I still didn't enjoy it. I suspect I came to it too late, and have long since put the confusion and disdain of my youth behind me, and couldn't quite connect with Holden as a character.

Title: Adventures On The High Teas

Author: Stuart Maconie

Publisher: Ebury Press

Rating: 5/5

Synopsis (from Waterstones.com):

Everyone talks about 'Middle England'. Sometimes they mean something bad, like a lynch mob of "Daily Mail" readers, and sometimes they mean something good, like a pint of ale in a sleepy Cotswold village in summer twilight. But just where and what is Middle England? Stuart Maconie didn't know either, so he packed his Thermos and sandwiches and set off to find out...Is Middle England about tradition and decency or closed minds and bigotry? Is it maypoles and evensong, or flooded market towns and binge drinkers in the park? And is Slough really as bad as Ricky Gervais and John Betjeman make out? From Shakespeare to JK Rowling, Vaughan Williams to Craig David, William Morris to B&Q, Stuart Maconie leads the expedition, with plenty of stop-offs for tea and scones, to discover the truth.

Review:

I adore Stuart Maconie's writing; he has quickly become my favourite travel writer. His quirky view of the world hits the spot every time with my own sense of humour. His descriptions of the places he visits and the people he meets are warm with an air of nostalgia, but always feel authentic.

In this book, he's looking for what Middle England is, and in themed chapters based on subjects such as food and music, he searches the country to try and find the meaning.

I laughed aloud, chuckled, smiled and fondly remembered childhood experiences along with him. I loved this look at real English life, in which he recounts the tales of the people he meets and places he visits with charm and even when gently poking fun at them, it always done with fondness for the subject. It isn't at all a rose-tinted view of the country though, and he does highlight the bad as well as the good he finds, but he does seem to be able to find some good almost everywhere.

A fantastically entertaining read, and I give it one of my rare 5/5 ratings.

Title: Last Sacrifice

Author: Richelle Mead

Publisher:Puffin Books

Synopsis:

In the final installment of the Vampire Academy series, someone is trying to frame Rose for murder, and Lissa and her friends must try to clear Rose's name.

Review:

Rose is one of my favourite characters of recent years. As a dhampir, she is strong and can fight to defend her assigned Moroi and herself against all comers, and as a person, she's determined, strong-willed and independent, and always tries to do the right thing even if she gets it wrong sometimes.

I have to admit, I'd sort of guessed how Rose and Lissa's stories would end in this series, but I had a lot of fun reading how they got there, and there were some twists and turns I hadn't seen coming. I also see where I think some of the other characters will go in the future, and I'm pleased that although Rose won't be a main character of the next Vampire Academy books, and we'll follow other people and stories, the author has still said that we will be able to catch up with her in the future as she'll still be writing about that world.

I think Richelle Mead writes great adventures, develops her characters well and all these books have been fast-paced page turners. I've thoroughly enjoyed the entire series (despite my initial grumblings about the names which I found difficult to get in my head!), and I've also read all her other books as well now. Great entertaining escapism with strong female characters.

Title: I Capture The Castle

Author: Dodie Smith

Publisher: Vintage

'I write this sitting in the kitchen sink' is the first line of this timeless, witty and enchanting novel about growing up. Cassandra Mortmain lives with her bohemian and impoverished family in a crumbling castle in the middle of nowhere. Her journal records her life with her beautiful, bored sister, Rose, her fadingly glamorous stepmother, Topaz, her little brother Thomas and her eccentric novelist father who suffers from a financially crippling writer's block. However, all their lives are turned upside down when the American heirs to the castle arrive and Cassandra finds herself falling in love for the first time...

Review:

A very English novel, written at a time when there was no genre called "Young Adult" and books were either for children or adults, and playwright Dodie Smith wrote this, her first novel and a story of teenagers and first love told by Cassandra about her eccentric family.

I'd heard lots of people talk with affection for this book, so I'd settled in for a good read when I picked up my copy for my reading group, but I actually found it quite an unsettling read. Although the narrator says how old she is on the first page, I'd actually forgotten this fairly quickly, and struggled to place her. At times she seemed to talk as a young teenager, and at other times she spoke of things as though she was bordering on adulthood and in her late teens. And I didn't only struggle with Cassandra, I also had problems with other members of the family. Her younger brother was spoken of as a child initially, then towards the end of the book, it seems as though the author suddenly needed him to be almost an adult, and he is shoe-horned into the plot with knowledge of psychiatric principles!

I didn't like the development of the relationships between Rose and Cassandra with Simon and Neil, it all felt too staged and predictable, but I wonder if this was more original at the time it was written, and I've read many other books and seen films since which have similar stories.

An uneven narrative and I didn't find any humour in the book which others have commented on. I didn't feel satisfied by the book, and felt a bit discomforted by some of the story, and overall, I just didn't enjoy it.

Title: Hotel World

Author: Ali Smith

Five people: four are living, three are strangers, two are sisters, one is dead. In her highly acclaimed and most ambitious book to date, the brilliant young Scottish writer Ali Smith brings alive five unforgettable characters and traces their intersecting lives. This is a short novel with big themes (time, chance, money, death) but an eye for tiny detail: the taste of dust, the weight of a few coins in the hand, the pleasurable pain of a stone in one's shoe...

Review:

Another fantastic book from one of my favourite authors, Ali Smith. Every one of her books is full of emotion, and this one looks at five lives intertwined by their links with an hotel. There are so many themes running throughout the five tales, but all revolve around the death of the narrator of the first story, Sara, a chambermaid who has fallen to her death in the hotel.

I must admit, I'm not usually very good at picking up themes and allegory in novels, but I could see how Smith has woven the different stages of grief into the five stories, using both close family members, witnesses and bystanders to explore the effects of death and grief.

There is something very moving about Smith's writing, and I've loved everyone of her books I've read so far. I still have to investigate her short stories, and have a collection on my shelf waiting to be read.

Title: Hotel World

Author: Ali Smith

Five people: four are living, three are strangers, two are sisters, one is dead. In her highly acclaimed and most ambitious book to date, the brilliant young Scottish writer Ali Smith brings alive five unforgettable characters and traces their intersecting lives. This is a short novel with big themes (time, chance, money, death) but an eye for tiny detail: the taste of dust, the weight of a few coins in the hand, the pleasurable pain of a stone in one's shoe...

Review:

Another fantastic book from one of my favourite authors, Ali Smith. Every one of her books is full of emotion, and this one looks at five lives intertwined by their links with an hotel. There are so many themes running throughout the five tales, but all revolve around the death of the narrator of the first story, Sara, a chambermaid who has fallen to her death in the hotel.

I must admit, I'm not usually very good at picking up themes and allegory in novels, but I could see how Smith has woven the different stages of grief into the five stories, using both close family members, witnesses and bystanders to explore the effects of death and grief.

There is something very moving about Smith's writing, and I've loved everyone of her books I've read so far. I still have to investigate her short stories, and have a collection on my shelf waiting to be read.

Great review Chesil, 'Hotel World' sounds interesting :)

Title: The Dark Is Rising

Author: Susan Cooper

Publisher:Random House

Synopsis (from amazon.co.uk):

It is Midwinter’s Eve, the night before Will’s eleventh birthday. But there is an atmosphere of fear in the familiar countryside around him. Will is about to make a shocking discovery – that he is the last person to be born with the power of the Old Ones, and as a guardian of the Light he must begin a dangerous journey to vanquish the terrifyingly evil magic of the Dark.

Review:

A classic quest and the battle between good and evil, this exciting tale set at Christmas time was a great festive read.

A young boy who suddenly discovers he has been born with the power of Old Ones and is embarks on a quest to obtain the signs that will help defeat the Dark. He is thrust into a new world of magic and has to quickly learn of his heritage while at the same time facing the threats to his own family by the Dark.

Exciting, fast-paced action with a thrilling tale, this is the second in The Dark Is Rising series of five books. The books were originally published between 1965 and 1977, but I must admit I'd never heard of them. The Dark Is Rising was one of the books in the Seasons Reading in the Guardian Books section this year, and my friend told me he'd read it as a child and it was one of his favourite series, so I decided to try it myself. I had a complete sense of nostalgia while reading the book, as it felt exactly like the books I remember from my childhood. There's a certain style and feel to books from that era, and this ranks up there with any book I read as a child, without feeling dated or old-fashioned.

Although this is the second book in a series, you don't need to have read the first book in order to read this one, but I guarantee I will be reading the other books in the series next year!

I have the set of these books in one book that my Auntie bought me around two years ago, just months before she died. For some reason I've never managed to bring myself to pick it up, but I've heard such good things I think I'll have to read it soon enough. Good review, may I add.

Edited by Ben

You won't regret it, Ben, I'm told this isn't even the best of the series! Oh, and of course you may add your compliments to my reviews, flattery always welcome here ;)

Sounds like they could be good reads, and haha of course! :lol:

Title: Fup: A Modern Fable

Author: Jim Dodge

Publisher: Canongate Books

"Fup" is a tale of two humans, one duck and several vats of home-brewed whisky. There's Grandaddy Jake Santee, 99 years old, an unreformed gambler, cranky reprobate and fierce opponent of the work ethic. Thanks to his home-distilled hooch, Ol' Death Whisper, he reckons he's in with good shot at immortality. And then there's Tiny, adopted at the age of four by Grandaddy Jake, a giant young man as gentle as Jake is belligerent. And then there's Fup, an uncompromising twenty-pound mallard, partial to a drink herself, whose unique presence transforms the Santee household.

Review:

An odd little book (less than 100 pages, although I read it on my Kindle, so I had to look up how long it was!) which I read in two sittings of about 45 mins each.

I loved the writing style; it reminded me of films where an elder recalling a fable or fairy tale, but using modern setting and written for grown ups (some swear words and sexual references, though only brief and occasional). The characters come across as genuine and real, and I felt affectionate for them by the end of the book.

Charming and funny, and an entertaining read.

An odd little book (less than 100 pages, although I read it on my Kindle, so I had to look up how long it was!) which I read in two sittings of about 45 mins each.

Interesting you should mention that; does it bother you that you can't tell the page numbers on there? I was surprised to see you couldn't as it is just a simple addition that I thought they'd include. I mean, there's the percentage thing that works fine, but it's odd not seeing page numbers. Or am I just being daft?

Interesting you should mention that; does it bother you that you can't tell the page numbers on there? I was surprised to see you couldn't as it is just a simple addition that I thought they'd include. I mean, there's the percentage thing that works fine, but it's odd not seeing page numbers. Or am I just being daft?

They have locations, which I have still to work out what that is. Paragraphs? Lines? :huh: I'd like page numbers - makes more sense than locations, although I guess depending on the size of the font you choose, the page number will change.

They have locations, which I have still to work out what that is. Paragraphs? Lines? :huh: I'd like page numbers - makes more sense than locations, although I guess depending on the size of the font you choose, the page number will change.

That's true, although I don't know what 'locations' are either. :lol:

Edited by Ben

The page numbers/locations issue has been one of the few criticisms I've seen about the Kindle. I don't mind particularly, but from what I understand, they've said it's difficult because as bobblybear says, it depends on the settings you have (e.g. text size, line spacing, etc) as to how much text fits on the screen. On the iPad, the iBooks app recalculates the page numbers based on your settings, but as it's much more of a computer, it obviously has more functionality and can therefore cope with this extra processing. I've got a good idea from my settings that the number of pages in a page is approximately equivalent to about 8 or 9 in the location numbers on the Kindle, so Fup was 809 in total, so I guessed it was around the 100 pages mark. I also know I usually read at about 60 pages per hour, so again, an hour and a half reading time meant about 90 or so pages.

I'm happy enough with the percentage and indicator on the bottom of the screen to show me how far through the book I am, but I've found so far, it depends on the book as to whether the chapters are shown on the indicator. For example, The Dark Is Rising was in three parts, but had three or four chapters in each part, but only the beginning of each part was shown on the indicator, while Fup only had chapters so these were marked. I would prefer to see where the chapters are, so that I can judge how much further I need to read to get to the end of a chapter, and this is where the iBooks are better - you can choose whether to have the indicator on or off, and if on, it shows you how far through the entire book you are, as well as showing you how many pages you have left in your chapter.

Well, I've just finished A Christmas Carol. I have to admit I enjoyed it much more than I was expecting, as I've had a few failed attempts at Dickens before but I think because I knew (and loved) the story so much from film adaptations, I wanted to see what the original was actually like. Someone had told me that The Muppet Christmas Carol was the closest to the original text, and I have to say, I think they're probably right! I loved reading it and I think I'll feel easier about making another attempt at Dickens in the future.

So time to round up my year in books ...

• bought 72 books plus got 11 more free as part of special offers
  • borrowed 52 library books
  • bought an iPad and started my journey into the ebook world
  • got a Kindle for Christmas to continue my adventure!

And my reading year ...

• finished reading 130 books
  • abandoned 3 books
  • put aside 2 more books to read at a later date
  • and I am currently reading 2 books

Next year I will try to ...

• read all 76 books left on my TBR shelf
  • finish all 4 of the ebooks I've bought before buying any more

Edited by chesilbeach