Joe's bookshelf 2010

joe

We Are All Made of Glue

I am so sorry that you will not be able to read it Chesilbeach as i found it to be such a good read, very very funny but also with a melancholic undertone.There were parts that made me have a lump in my throat as some of the scenes were so realistic, especially those played out in the hospital and in the nursing home. The characters, especially those of Mrs Shapiro and Geordie were full of warmth and i found their relationship to be very interesting. I do love this author and look forward to reading her future books.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have started to read Cut by Cathy Glass as it was recommended by my mum. Its not a book that I would usually read but thought I would give it a go. I have a feeling that i will be crying most of the time though

Cut by Cathy Glass

Synopsis

In her latest paperback, the no.1 bestselling author of Damaged tells the story of the Dawn, a sweet and seemingly well-balanced girl whose outward appearance masks a traumatic childhood of suffering at the hands of the very people who should have cared for her. Dawn was the first girl Cathy Glass ever fostered. Sweet and seemingly well balanced girl, Dawn's outward appearance masked a traumatic childhood so awful, that even she could not remember it. During the first night, Cathy awoke to see Dawn looming above Cathy's baby's cot, her eyes staring and blank. She sleepwalks -- which Cathy learns is often a manifestation in disturbed children. It becomes a regular and frightening occurrence, and Cathy is horrified to find Dawn lighting a match whilst mumbling it's not my fault in her sleep one night. Cathy discovers Dawn is playing truant from school, and struggling to make friends. More worryingly she finds her room empty one night, and her pillow covered in blood. Dawn has been self-harming in order to release the pain of her past. When Dawn attempts suicide, Cathy realises that she needs more help than she can give.Dawn's mother eventually confides in her that Dawn was sent away to live with relatives in Ireland between the ages of 5 and 9, and Cathy soon realises that the horrors Dawn was exposed to during this time have left her a very disturbed little girl.

Taken from Waterstones.com

I started this book with great anticipation and thought that I would really enjoy it but to be honest I found it somewhat lacking . I am not sure why, I read the book and had great admiration for Cathy in how she looked after Dawn and all of her problems, especially with a new baby, but I found it all to be somewhat over sensationalised and and to some extent I jsut found the whole thing boring. I do admire people who foster, my nana herself fostered lots of children and adopted five children when she had three of her own so for that i did find the story intersting. Overall though I just found the narrative boring and so like may of the other 'true story'

books that I have read.

5/10

Anybody Out There?

Well if I am honest I did not really enjoy this book and I thought that I would. I have read her other books and thoroughly enjoyed them so I am not sure why i disliked it so much. I just found myself skipping ahead pages as I was reading not in anticipation of what was to happen but because I was getting bored. I just found the whole premise one that I had read before and nothing really gripped me. I did not even laugh at the characters of the Walsh family as i have done before. So sadly will not be reading this again

I have just started to read The Surgeon by Tess Gerristen and I am already 200 pages in, this book is so good I will have it finished by tomorrow. Utterly gripping and compelling.

The Surgeon Tess Gerristen

I read this book in 3 days as I could hardly put it down. An utterly excellent read, I am so glad it was recommended to me on here. All of the characters were utterly compelling in their own way and there was never a dull moment, it was like being on a rollercoaster. The best book I have read this year by far

10/10

• 1 month later...

The Vanished Man Jeffrey Deaver

A killer flees the scene of a homicide at a prestigious Manhattan music school and locks himself in a classroom. Within minutes, the police have him surrounded. Then a scream rings out, followed by a gunshot. The police break down the door. The room is empty. Lincoln Rhyme and Amelia Sachs are brought in to help with the high-profile investigation. For the ambitious Sachs, solving the case could earn her a promotion. For the quadriplegic Rhyme, it means relying on his protge to ferret out a master illusionist they've dubbed the conjurer, who baits them with gruesome murders that become more diabolical with each fresh crime. As the fatalities rise and the minutes tick down, Rhyme and Sachs must move beyond the smoke and mirrors to prevent a terrifying act of vengeance that could become the greatest vanishing act of all

{synopsis taken from Waterstones.com)

I did enjoy this book but not as much as his others for some reason. I think it was mainly due to the magic elements within it as I found it all somewhat off putting and I was not as interested in the characters as i usually am within his novels. however having said that I still found the book to be enjoyable

7/10

The Road Cormack McCarthy

The first great masterpiece of the globally warmed generation. Here is an American classic which, at a stroke, makes McCarthy a contender for the Nobel Prize for Literature' - Andrew O'Hagan. A father and his young son walk alone through burned America, heading slowly for the coast. Nothing moves in the ravaged landscape save the ash on the wind. They have nothing but a pistol to defend themselves against the men who stalk the road, the clothes they are wearing, a cart of scavenged food - and each other. 'McCarthy conjures from this pitiless flight the miracle of unswerving humanity. Gripping beyond belief' - Chris Cleave, "Sunday Telegraph". 'One of the most shocking and harrowing but ultimately redemptive books I have read. It is an intensely intimate story. It is also a warning' - Kirsty Wark, "Observer Books of the Year". 'A work of such terrible beauty that you will struggle to look away. It will knock the breath from your lungs' - Tom Gatti, "The Times". 'You will read on, absolutely convinced, thrilled, The Roadmesmerized. All the modern novel can do is done here' - Alan Warner, "Guardian". 'A masterpiece that will soon be considered a classic' - "Herald". 'McCarthy shows that he is one of the greatest American writers alive' - "Times Literary Supplement".

Synopsis taken from Waterstones.com

Words cannot possibly describe the wonderment and beauty of this book. i was totally speechless after finishing it. It is a work of utter beauty and will tear your heart into little pieces. I have two little boys and as I was reading the book i kept picturing my husband with them and wondering what would happen if they were ever in the same situation. My best read so far of the tear.

Words cannot possibly describe the wonderment and beauty of this book. i was totally speechless after finishing it. It is a work of utter beauty and will tear your heart into little pieces. I have two little boys and as I was reading the book i kept picturing my husband with them and wondering what would happen if they were ever in the same situation. My best read so far of the tear.

I agree. I read it last year and then recommended it to my brother. We both loved it. It is heartbreaking and terrifying.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved the road so much that i am going to read The Sunset Limited after Keeping the Dead

The Girl who Played with Fire and The Girl Who Kicked the Hornets' Nest Steig Larsson

I absokutely adored these books and read them both in great big chunks, I could not put them down. The whole Milenium trilogy is just breathtaking and three of the most well written and unusual crime novels ever produced. They will remain on my shelves and be read many times. Mikael Bloomkvist also grew on me although in my head he was blond and was not sure if that was how he was described in the first book. truly breathtaking

Nightshift Nora Roberts

Synopsis

Passion. Power. Suspense. It's time to fall under the spell of Nora Roberts. Her voice was like hot whiskey, smooth and potent, but it was her contradictions that fascinated Detective Boyd Fletcher - the vulnerability beneath her self-sufficient facade. Radio announcer Cilla O'Roarke was being threatened, and it was Boyd's job to protect her. But though she protested his intrusion into her life, an undeniable attraction sizzled between them...and anything could happen on the Night Shift.

Waterstones.com

I am new to this author and I am now totally addicted. This book was superb, I read it in two days. It was not earth shattering or profound in any way but I found it to be pure escapism. A real girly book for those cold and lonely nights. She is to become one of my guilty pleasures

10/10

I am now 200 pages into Homeport and slowly I am beginning to become interested so glad that I didn't give up on it. Waiting for my copy of The Passage to srrive, should be here tomorrow hopefully

Have nearly finished Homeport which I am enjoying and I have started to read The Passage by Justin Cronin, only 50 pages in but I am already hooked.

Homeport by Nora Roberts

I absolutely loved this book, a romantic who done it. I have to say that there is nothing original about the plot or characterisations but for pure escapism and a bit of romance you cannot beat this author and I am becoming a Nora Roberts fan. I have even ordered her Irish trilogy from the library

Samantha Smythe's Modern Family Journal Lucy Cavendish

Let me introduce you to the Symthe household - there's me Samantha, my husband, John the Second and our two children, Bennie and Jamie. And then there's my eldest son Edward from my first marriage. I love my family to bits but I do sometimes wonder if a non-nuclear family can ever be a 'real' family. Every now and then I lose my cool and start shouting like a mad woman until John has to take me upstairs and calm me down. Being a mum is never easy and last summer it all got a whole lot more complicated when my ex-husband John the First, turned up at our house for the first time in three years. The real reason for his unexpected appearance was Edward. John wanted to get to know him better and Edward in turn thought it was marvellous that he now had two dads living with him. I on-the-other-hand, began to feel that I was slowly disappearing out sight. Suddenly, our chaotic but loving home was teetering on the verge of collapse...

This was such a funny book to read and I read it in a couple of days. I laughed out loud in a few places and could related to the character of 2 year old Bennie as my little 2 year old is just the same. At the end of the book I found myself thinking that my family is not so dysfunctional afterwards and more importantly the book made me smile

10/10

I am becoming a Nora Roberts fan. I have even ordered her Irish trilogy from the library

Joe, don't get me wrong, I love Nora Roberts but take care as you will soon see a formula develop and all the books become the same and very predictable! Her trilogies are great and I would recommend: -

Key Trilogy

Garden Trilogy

Born In Trilogy

The Circle Trilogy

Also try Remember When, where she cleverly combines her romance book with her other pen name J.D. Robb!

Many thanks, I like to read them for a bit of escapism and they are very easy to read,I will try some of those books that you have recommended :D

My Fabulous Divorce Claire Dowling

I read this book but about halfway through i really wanted to give up as I found it all rather boring.It was so like many other books that I have read, very unoriginal. However I carried on as I like to finish a book once started but I have to say it is one of the most unoriginal books I have ever read and i did not care for any of the characters, totally forgetable. 3/10

Jewels of the Sun Nora Roberts

Determined to re-evaluate her life, Jude Murray flees America to take refuge in Faerie Hill Cottage in the small Irish village of Ardmore. Surrounded by the beautiful scenery and refreshed by a more relaxed lifestyle, Jude finds herself fascinated by the local folklore. Even her cottage seems to have a resident ghost and Jude decides to embark on a personal research project to find out more.

Finally back in Ireland after years of travelling, Aidan Gallagher is also something of an expert when it comes to his country's haunting myths. He's returned to devote himself to managing the family's business. But in Jude Murray he sees a woman who can soothe his heart and stir his blood. And he begins to share the legends of the land with her- while they create a passionate history of their own...

Synopsis taken from Waterstones.com

I was ill over the weekend so wanted a comfort read and this was the perfect book for curling up with. A slushy romantic tale that was easy to read told by a fantastic story teller

10/10