Joe's bookshelf 2010

joe

Breaking Dawn Stephenie Meyer

I am now totally bereft as i have finished all of the Twilight books. They are not that well written and the plot and characterisations are not that well defined but there is just something about them that is totally irresistible.Ii will be reading all of the books again soon this year. Just pure pleasure to read and i so want an Edward.

10/10

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking Dawn Stephenie Meyer

I am now totally bereft as i have finished all of the Twilight books. They are not that well written and the plot and characterisations are not that well defined but there is just something about them that is totally irresistible.Ii will be reading all of the books again soon this year. Just pure pleasure to read and i so want an Edward.

10/10

That sums them up perfectly, Joe! I think that if you've loved them as much as that, then they'll definitely stand up to rereading them (which I've done many times!), but I'd also say, as a fan of Edward you should read the partial draft of Midnight Sun (available on Stephenie's website). Just an extra fix for the Twilight fan :D

I have started to read Looking Good Dead by Peter James, this book was recommended to me and i am very much looking forward to it.

I'll be interested to know what you think of it joe :D I just got Dead Simple by Peter James myself, the blurb sounds really captivating. Have you read that one?

Looking Good Dead Peter James

A hugely entertaining read, read this within a couple of days. Not the best crime novel I have read but still enjoyable. I may need to read more of his books to get into the character of Roy Grace,I felt like I did not get to know him but still an entertaining read although an obvious plot and ending.

7/10

The Girl Next Door Elizabeth Nobel

This was a truly magical book. I was not sure what to make of it at the beginning as there seemed to be too many characters and Ilkept getting them all mixed up. However after around 100 pages all of the different stories and relationships started to gel together and the whole book started to flow for me. This was a book that really touched me, it dealt with issues of motherhood, marriage and how having children and being pregnant can effect everything about you and the relationships that you have. This is a book that I will definetely read again and I also want to read her other books.A truly magical and heartwarming book that will make you cry and hug the importanat people in your life.

10/10

Water for Elephants Sara Gruen

I started to read this book today and am about 50 pages in, would have read more but am having to enteratin the little ones and play at being Fireman Sam. Already I am hooked on this book and I have a feeling it will be finished in a couple of days.

Have more books to be added to my TBR pile

American Wife by Curtis Sittenfeld,

Life Swap by Jane Green,

My fabulous Divorce by Claire Dowling,

Small Island by Andrea Levy

The Beach House by Jane Green.

Water for Elephants Sara Gruen

This book is extraordinary, it is like no other book that i have ever read. I could not put it down, it just took my breath away. The old and young Jacob merged into one and by the end they became one person. Just a beautiful fairytale told around the goings on within the wierd and wonderful world of the circus. The ending also blew me away as i was not expecting what happened to happen. This is a book that I will want to own and read again and again

10/10

• 2 weeks later...

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo Stieg Larsson

Well I really enjoyed this book, very different to all the other crime novels I have ever read so it made a refreshing change from the usual formula. Will definetely be reading the other two novels in the series. I find the character of Mikael Bloomkvist truly captivating, he is a very different type of leading man and the same is true of Salander, she is a very different heroine, if she can be called that. A truly remarkable novel that will be read again countless times

10/10

The Way Home by George Pelecanos

I found this book very slow to begin with but about halfway through things began to speed up and become interesting. I found the ending a little predictable but all in all a good read.I have not read any other books by this author and i read this book as it was recommended by Channel 4's book club. I did enjoy the book but it is not usually the type of book that i would read.I don't think that i will be reading any of his other books as they are just not to my taste 6/10

We are all Made of Glue Marina Lewycka

Synopsis

Georgie Sinclair's life is coming unstuck. Her husband's left her. Her son's obsessed with the End of the World. And now her elderly neighbour Mrs Shapiro has decided they are related. Or so the hospital informs her when Mrs Shapiro has an accident and names Georgie next of kin. This, however, is not a case of a quick ward visit: Mrs Shapiro has a large rickety house full of stinky cats that needs looking after that a pair of estate agents seem intent on swindling from her. Plus there are the 'Uselesses' trying to repair it (uselessly). Then there's the social worker who wants to put her in a nursing home. Not to mention some letters that point to a mysterious, painful past. As Georgie tries her best to put Mrs Shapiro's life back together somehow she must stop her own from falling apart...

Taken from Waterstones online

I have read Two Caravans and A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian and so therefore I thought i would read this book. i have read a chapter so far and i am utterly hooked, will have it finished by the end of the week i think

Edited by joe

I bought 'We Are All Made of Glue' yesterday ... so look forward to hearing your review Joe :)

I am really enjoying it so far. Have you read her other books?

I loved A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian, but I didn't like Two Caravans any where near as much. Everyone else I know found Two Caravans to be full of dark humour, but it just felt too real and desperate sad for it to be funny. I probably won't read We Are All Made of Glue though, as after seeing her talk about it on The Book Show, I think I might find the subject matter too difficult to read personally. Hope you enjoy it though, Joe!