US/UK remakes

Vladd

A post on the which DVD thread about US remakes of UK programmes got me thinking. Are there any US remakes of British programmes you really liked/hated, and vice versa?

A recent one that I felt wasn't as good was Life on Mars, somehow it just felt not as good, and as for the American ending, sorry that was terrible.

I really didn't like the US version of the Office. :lol: Loved the original series so I think that's why.

Yeah I'm not very keen on the American version. They've just kind of taken the idea and run with it now, it's like a different show. The comedy seems to be much more in your face and too obvious. I adore the original as well so I was never really gonna love this one! OH likes both though.

I really didn't like the US version of the Office. :lol: Loved the original series so I think that's why.

I liked the UK one, but I LOVE the US version. There was only really the pilot episode that was a direct take of one of the original scripts, after that they made it their own and it's fantastic!

A recent one that I felt wasn't as good was Life on Mars, somehow it just felt not as good, and as for the American ending, sorry that was terrible.

Hmm, i'd like to see the US version of Life on Mars, i'm intrigued as to how they ended the show. Shame you didn't think it was any good.

Apparently, the US version of AB Fab was deeply unfunny. They took out all the good bits which made the UK original great ie. swearing, sl*pper behaviour and drug-taking and served up what was left :lol:.

I can't think of any remake i've seen that i've enjoyed to be honest.

Ahhhhh Stephanie!!!! I'm so in love with the American Office. The first series isn't too as good as it could be but it really comes into its own when you get into the 2nd and especially 3rd series. It's my favourite comedy of the decade. I know Frankie of BCF fame is also in love with it. ;) Steve Carell and the George Forman Grill episode is one of the funniest things I've ever seen in my life!

I'm racking my brains trying to think of a US remake which surpasses the original in every regard, and I'm coming up empty. Zilch. Maybe (with the kindness of age) I'm willing to forgive Sanford And Son, but British television has committed just as many dire remakes as the US. Brighton Belles anyone? No?

I have to admit to laughing hysterically at the Red Dwarf remake - though not for the right reasons.

I thought the US Life on Mars lacked the heart of the UK one. Jason O'Mara, who played Sam in the US version is not a bad actor, but he doesn't seem to bring the sense of injustice and bewilderment that Jon Simm did. (In fact, watching the 'new' Sam Tyler made me realise just how good Simm was in that role.)

And sorry, but there's only one Gene Hunt, and it's not Harvey Keitel!! Philip Glenister owns that role. Also, no offence to Keitel, who is a great actor, but he is just too old for that role. He would be retired by now - where as Glenister is about the right sort of age.

Although I haven't seen the finale of the US one yet, I do know how it ends. I haven't told hubby because I want to see him peel his jaw off the floor when he sees it.

I love the UK version of The Office. Only watched one episode of the US version and didn't enjoy it, although a friend who lives in the States said that it did get much better. (The episode I watched was the pilot).

I absolutely loved Life on Mars but the US version I just couldn't get into :)

I gave up after about 3 epsiodes it just didn't have the right feel to it.

And sorry, but there's only one Gene Hunt, and it's not Harvey Keitel!! Philip Glenister owns that role. Also, no offence to Keitel, who is a great actor, but he is just too old for that role. He would be retired by now - where as Glenister is about the right sort of age.

I couldn't have put it better my self :kissing:

For some reason I'm always quite baffled at how Philip Glenister is really quite shy in real life- I think I expected him to be like Gene Hunt all the time :):D Still, it's a sign of some good acting on his part!

I don't think I even realised there was a US remake. I don't think I'll be rushing to check that out.