Kell's 2010 Reading Log

Kell

My first encounter with Dracula was also with an abridged version for kiddies; I'll never forget the bitter disappointment I felt when I discovered I'd been lied to, that what I'd read wasn't Bram Stoker's Dracula at all :D! The way I see it is, if the kiddies are too young to read the full thing, they're too young to read it full stop; give them another couple of years of childhood and let them come back to the good but complex books when they're good and ready.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My first encounter with Dracula was also with an abridged version for kiddies; I'll never forget the bitter disappointment I felt when I discovered I'd been lied to,

That's exactly how I felt! And I agree with you about being ready, or not, for certain books. I hate that classics (and other books too) are "dumbed down" for children and I think it may be a chief contributor to ruining them for young people. If they would just read the full version when they were mature enough to understand and appreciate it, they would probably enjoy it a whole lot more!

• 6 months later...

I am SOOOOOOOOO excited! I signed up for the Kelley Armstrong "Angelic" Round Robin to borrow a travelling copy of this novella which is incredibly difficult to get hold of (it had a very limited release). It arrived this morning, so I'll be starting to read it tonight. I can hardly wait!

• 4 months later...

Well, managed to hit my target and then finish a few more books too, reading 58 books this year - a fairly respectable accomplishment, I think! :)

Looking forward to all the wonderful books I'll be reading in 2011!

• 8 months later...

Hello Kell.

I enjoyed looking through your towering TBR list. I must add just one. THE LITTLE STRANGER, by Sarah Waters. Several months since I read this. But I can still re-visit that rambling old mansion, in the heart of the countryside. Enter through that door that doesnt quite ever shut properly. Into the black and white gloomy tiled entrance hall. And look up at the huge, curving staircase.

I have recently invested in a kindle. While it will never replace the feel good factor of handling a book, it has speeded up my reading process. Not a lot, but still significantly.

Dave.