Libri's Library

libri vermis

I'm glad you're enjoying Jane Eyre so Libri, it's probably my favourite novel of all time. :exc:

I really did love it. I cried often while reading, and related to the character of Jane Eyre, who always stayed true to herself. This will be a book I read again someday. :tong:

Edited by libri vermis

Recently finished books and a few thoughts:

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

I don't want to say too much about this book, because we will be discussing it soon, and I want to keep a rein on my input until I hear what others have to say, because I may be missing something. It could be I just don't get the British humor (although I love Douglas Adams!) or it could be that because I have not read many of the classics, I would not understand the allusions.

The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett

This book started off well for me, but then the plot seemed to meander and lose its way. I still found it quite amusing, and will definitely be checking out more of the Discworld series. I have heard that it only gets better. My favorite characters were Rincewind and Death. :)

I loved the Jasper Fforde Thursday Next series from the start, and I would really recommend that you read on, as they get better through more creative depth, stranger situations and greater understanding of Thursday herself. The concepts get better, and are not as reliant on the reader knowing the classic.

Regarding Sir Pratchett, wait until you meet DEATH or the Witches! I can also recommend the YA series by him centred around Tiffany Aching (also set in Discworld).

Chrissy, thank you for your response. :D At the moment, I don't think I will look into any more of Jasper Fforde's work. One of my main issues with the book is that I felt no connection to the character of Thursday Next, and if I don't connect to characters, I generally am no longer interested in reading further.

Last five books I read and my ratings, five being the highest:

The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly - 4 stars

Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - 5 stars

The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde - 1 star

The Color of Magic by Terry Pratchett - 3 stars

One For the Money by Janet Evanovich - 2 stars

Next ten books I will be reading:

Memory and Dream by Charles De Lint

The Birthday of the World and Other Stories by Ursula Le Guin

Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad

The Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean Koontz

The Ivory and the Horn by Charles De Lint

Solaris by Stanislaw Lem

Lord Byron's Novel by John Crowley

Darkfall by Dean Koontz

Jack of Kinrowan by Charles De Lint

One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez

I am going to do an actual review of the Dean Koontz book I am currently reading. There are things I like about the book, and things that I don't, so it should be fun putting all of my thoughts down in review form.

Edited by libri vermis

• 3 weeks later...

Since I am now working full time, I don't have the time to give full reviews of books.

I finished False Memory by Dean Koontz, and it was merely okay for me. Much of it was predictable and written for shock value. 3/5 stars

After that I read Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence. Again, merely okay. Some of it was beautiful, some of it I found to be ridiculous and monotonous. 3/5 stars

I finished The Stranger yesterday by Albert Camus. While I find the philosophy behind the book disturbing, that doesn't mean the book was not a thought-provoking read. 5/5 stars

Oh, I also read Memory and Dream by Charles De Lint. Not one of the better ones I have read by him. 3/5 stars

I really should stick to the order I say I am going to read my books in. :lol:

Edited by libri vermis

After that I read Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence. Again, merely okay. Some of it was beautiful, some of it I found to be ridiculous and monotonous. 3/5 stars

I read this a few years ago. Putting aside the coarseness of some of the language it is a rather romantic yet tragic tale. Personally I enjoyed it. (note to BookJumper, if you haven't already then don't read it, I know how you feel about some of the types of scenes it contains).

(note to BookJumper, if you haven't already then don't read it, I know how you feel about some of the types of scenes it contains).
I actually read this about a decade ago (when those types of scenes didn't constitute a problem yet), and didn't like it at all - but then, I consider DH Lawrence a mysoginistic little so-and-so. I'll be the first to admit he can turn a phrase, though.

I read this a few years ago. Putting aside the coarseness of some of the language it is a rather romantic yet tragic tale. Personally I enjoyed it. (note to BookJumper, if you haven't already then don't read it, I know how you feel about some of the types of scenes it contains).

There were some scenes in the book that I found breathtaking. My biggest issue was the ending. It seemed rather abrupt. It is worth a re-read. My rule is if I rate a book 3 stars or above, I will hold on to it and perhaps read it again years from now. 5 stars books will definitely get a second visit, and possibly more. :lol:

Last five books I read and my ratings:

False Memory by Dean Koontz 3/5

Memory and Dream by Charles De Lint 3/5

Lady Chatterley's Lover by D.H. Lawrence 3/5

VALIS by Philip K. Dick 4/5

The Stranger by Albert Camus 5/5

The next ten books I am reading:

The Darkest Evening of the Year by Dean Koontz

The Ivory and the Horn by Charles De Lint

The Birthday of the World and Other Stories by Ursula Le Guin

Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad

Darkfall by Dean Koontz

Jack of Kinrowan by Charles De Lint

Solaris by Stanislaw Lem

Lord Byron's Novel: The Evening Land by John Crowley

Demon Seed by Dean Koontz

Trader by Charles De Lint

There is a lot of De Lint and Koontz on my list because over the past year I collected all the books I could find by them, and now want to get through them, as they both have a large catalog. :D

Edited by libri vermis

• 2 weeks later...
Demon Seed by Dean Koontz

Which one? There was a rewritten version published in the nineties, heavily updated with many references to "modern" celebrities. It's kinda jarring to read now, and the original remains far superior. Just thought you should know...