Nicci French - Beneath the skin

Oh dear. My nan used to tell me that if i didn't have anything nice to say then not to say it at all. :( but that would make for a quiet forum.

My neighbour gave me Beneath The Skin to read and i pittered out halfway through. I was surprised to hear that these books were written by 2 people as it felt like all the characters were slightly one dimensional(sp?).

We all have a different way of thinking, opinions, likes etc but all the characters seemed to be heading in the same direction with regards to their logical thought processes even though they were from different backgrounds. i would have enjoyed it more if there was a more diverse psychological profile for the characters. It seemed if they all got together with a therapist then they would see each others viewpoint quite easily.... murderer included.

Sorry, i am open to suggestions of other books they have written if i read a dud but until then i'm sticking to my Jeffery Deaver's and Ian Rankins.

Have just started this book now. Had been looking forward to reading it, as I had read the first chapter in another Nicci French novel(at the end where they sometimes put a teaser chaper as advert/marketing ploy). Hope I will enjoy it more than you seem to have done yin/yang!

I've been put off reading any Nicci French, as I read a Nicci Gerrard & thought it was incredibly bland (Things We Knew Were True) & tried to start Killing Me Softly but couldn't get into it. I doubt I'll ever try reading it, or any other Nicci French, again.

• 2 months later...

I saw this book in the second hand store today, but I didn't care for the synopsis on the back so have passed for now. They had three of hers/theirs I think, but none really appealed to me.

Honestly, I thought they were rather blood thirsty.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I love 'her' books and have read them all except the last two, as I've got a mountain of others to read.

If you look on the copyright page of any Nicci French novel you'll see the rights belong to a company called 'Joined-Up Writing' which is a giveaway that it's more than one person (it was to me anyway).

I'm always impressed by the fact I can't see the join when I read 'her' books.

I watched The Book Show (Sky Arts) this week and discovered Nicci French was infact a husband and wife writing team. Nicci Gerrard and Sean French.

Had been considering giving a book of theirs a go, but not so keen after searching on here!

Essiotrot, don't let that put you off, honestly! They write very convincingly as one voice. I've really enjoyed the Nicci French books I've read - very scary and atmospheric. And I loved Nicci Gerrard's fiction too - I think her characters are very real.