"Chuck it in" Cooking

honestfi

Must admit, I'm not one for experimenting very much, as my hubby isn't in to strong flavours of any kind, except for perhaps a slight hint of chilli (and me too, since my gall bladder op causes nasty reflux if I put too much spice into food)

That said, a mixture of Keith Floyd (RIP) and Jamie Oliver got me into trying to be different with the midweek meal. Needs to be quick, balanced, low spice and (preferably) fairly low fat. Spaghetti bolognese, shepherd's/cottage pie, chilli con carne you can ring the changes a bit, a splash of sherry here and there perhaps, even a dash of curry powder in the pie. Just lately dreamed up a couple of recipes that were original recipes once, and have ended up being my own:

Base is chicken, onion, pasta shapes and a jar of pasta sauce, carbonara or tomato based, it changes. Anyway, chicken and onion gets fried up, pasta gets boiled for maybe a couple of minutes. Whole lot goes into an oven dish, along with some veggies. Some fresh, usually frozen. Some streaky bacon perhaps....garlic maybe...ah mushrooms left over, in they go. Stir up, into the oven GM5 20-25 mins. Then cover with cheese unless conscience doesn't stretch quite that far. Back in the oven, served in 20.

Another is chicken broth. Carcasse gets boiled up for an hour or two with an onion. OK, maybe not a quick midweek meal, but I tend to do this the day before I plan it. Once drained etc, the lot goes into the pot, anything I can find. Fresh chicken, mushrooms, peas, pasta shells, carrots, parsnip, swede, potato...anything in the cupboard or fridge that I can find, excellent for clearing out stuff in the fridge. Along with lots of seasoning and plenty of stock cubes, gets simmered for about an hour, and my 5 litre pot generally stretches to two days worth. Beauty with this is that there is very little washing up.

So anybody out there from the "chuck it all in" Floyd school of cookery?

We always called this Mish-Mash cooking. :lol:

One of my favourites is pasta with smoked sausage and pepperoni, in with whatever veg I have (usually mushrooms, peppers, courgettes and onions) lightly sauteed and then either pour over tomato sauce or stir in some Philadelphia (the basil one or the garlic and herb one are particularly lovely).

I also dreamt up a recipe of one of my favourite soups this way - I used a tomato base, threw in whatever herbs and spices I fancy (usually basil, oregano and a little touch of chili), add some sauteed onions, a can of chickpeas (drained) and some diced chorizo. Mmmm - delicious!

I often clear out the veg in my fridge making vegetable chilli in my crockpot. I just chuck in whatever veg I have with some kidney beans and a tomato sauce with loads of chilli power and Robert's your mother's brother. Leave it simmering in the crockpot for several hours on medium-high and the flat smells delicious.

I do the same with curry - leftover meat from the Sunday roast (chicken, turkey, beef, whatever) with loads of veg and a curry sauce. Whack it in the crock pot and away you go.

Today I made pumpkin soup to a recipe I discovered by accident - an entire pumpkin, roasted and scooped out into a pan, a leek (finely sliced) some stock (veg, chicken, whatever), nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, salt, pepper and a touch of chilli powder, and then the secret ingredient - a generous dollop of smooth peanut butter to add richness and bite. Simmer then whizz with a hand blender till smooth. I made a HUGE pan of this today and my flat smelled divine. I even froze some for future enjoyment. :)

Often do this what I call kitchen cupboard and leftovers. I just get things together and throw them together( within reason im not that silly lol). My mum calls it one pot ( well thats all it takes...) and the joy is she eats it .... ah bliss. no particular recipes - I hardly foloww them as it is just put an idea from one with another one and generally it works - yep I dont suffer from insanity I enjoy it (could not resist - just waiting for the spiky limp lettuce leaves - go well with peas)

CAULIFLOWER CHEESE

Someone gave me a cauliflower last weekend because it had some discoloration. I just cut of those bits and cooked the rest. Then I cooked some diced onion in a big pan, added a tin of mushrooms (drained), added a tin of chopped tomatoes. Made up a pkt cheese sauce and added it, added the cooked cauli. Finally grated cheese and in the oven to melt, LOVELY.