Safety

Am I the only one who finds a certain 'safety' in literature? I mean, when i'm facing an uncomfortable situation I find that all I want to do is 'switch off' from the world and bury myself in reading or writing. I just feel that i'm happiest when i'm immersed in some 'alternate world'. does anyone else find themselves turning to literature for comfort?

I envy you guys. Whenever I'm stressed or unhappy (which happens fairly often) I find that my already abysmal capacity for concentration gets even worse, so I find myself reading the same page over and over without taking anything in.

I'm the same as BookJumper - occasionally it works but it worked better when stress was made up of homework and boys at school. Books just don't cut it over finances and employment. Still, when I do manage to switch off and disappear into a book, it's pretty cool.

I do find a certain safety in books where their situation is far far worse than my own, like waking up from a nightmare and realising things really aren't THAT bad :blush:

I envy you guys. Whenever I'm stressed or unhappy (which happens fairly often) I find that my already abysmal capacity for concentration gets even worse, so I find myself reading the same page over and over without taking anything in.

:blush: I have to be very relaxed to read, I tend to read in bed anyway and don't get very far with it, say, if in a doctor's or dentist's waiting room, or if I'm worried about something.

I find that reading is the one thing that truly relaxes me - switching off the real world, locking the doors, unplugging the phones and immersing myself entirely into someone else's imagination. That, in itself, becomes a reality for me, while I'm there.

As Giulia and Roxi mentioned, sometimes during periods of great stress, I too have lost the ability to concentrate and have been unable to focus enough to read, but after a period of healing, I found myself plunging into my TBR mountain with relish.

I love reading. I guess we all do here! :blush:

Yeah I do that. Because I suffer from Anxiety Disorder I find it great escapism. And I'm not afraid to put down a book that isn't helping me hide in literature

same here! I actually posted this thread this morning because my social anxiety was playing up! I was supposed to be meeting with someone i knew, but the thought was filling me with dread and i found that all i wanted to do at that moment was snuggle up on my own and lose myself in a book.

I suppose it's a form of escapism...it's like looking into someone elses life other than your own.

For me it really depends on the type of stress or situation I'm experiencing. If I'm just escaping a frustrating day or haven't yet come to a conclussion or made a decission on something I need to,.. then escaping to another world for awhile really helps me to de-stress and untangle the confusion of thoughts rattling about upstairs.

If the situation is more dire ....I'm unable to concentrate and stay focused.

I have to be relaxed too. If I'm slightly worried or stressed I find it hard to read, which is why I was never good at revision or exams. I do find that a good book does help me relax more :lol:

I am the exact same way. I find that as my life gets busy or more stressful, I read less. However, if I can squeeze in the time, a book helps me to re-focus. :lol:

Recently I've been having a tough time (nothing major but it's important to me) and I've found myself reading a lot more. The escapism is fantastic. Even with a lot on my mind, I can lose myself in a book. It's made me love my most recent reads more, the fact they've been a 'support' when I've needed them.

• 1 month later...

Me, either. When I'm stressed or my depression is particularly bad, I can't concentrate on a book at all. If I really try, I can maybe get some reading done, but I'm mostly only capable of zoning out in front of the TV or something.