Wuthering Heights

Ophelia

It's better but not by much, most people I know turned it off :D

What a shame! The BBC adaptations are always so good but I don't think I've ever seen a remarkable ITV adaptation :D

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One word...disappointed! I was so looking forward to that and feel so let down by it.

Should I be glad I decided not to bother watching tonight's episode then? Next version of Wuthering Heights is on the big screen in 2010 starring Gemma Arterton and Ed Westwick (Chuck Bass from Gossip Girl :motz:definitely not Heathcliff! ) Will it be any good?

13.gifits not on here in Scotland (I could be wrong but I have checked everywhere on the tv guide and nothing), I don't know why, hopefully it will eventually be shown.

:D

WH is on ITV player, so I will get to see it, I am not a big fan of the book but I do like to see the adaptations. :D

Well, I quite enjoyed it:smile2: I say this because a few weeks ago I eventually got round to seeing a version I had bought on DVD a while back, with Ralph Fiennes and Juliette Binoche. I thought that version was quite mediocre, especially with Binoche's French access seeping through all the time and Fiennes, for me, was just sleepwalking through the part. At least the ITV adaptation was filled out a bit more.

I enjoyed it too - probably because I haven't read the book. I thought Heathcliffe and Cathy were excellent!

I saw a version of WH in Tesco this morning in the children's section. It's covered in a similar style to the Twilight books and has a sticker on it saying "Bella and [someone]'s Favourite Book" - I've seen it all now, although I suppose it's a good marketing ploy! :D

ETA: Found it!

cover 1.jpg

Edited by Janet

I enjoyed it too - probably because I haven't read the book. I thought Heathcliffe and Cathy were excellent!

I saw a version of WH in Tesco this morning in the children's section. It's covered in a similar style to the Twilight books and has a sticker on it saying "Bella and [someone]'s Favourite Book" - I've seen it all now, although I suppose it's a good marketing ploy! :D

ETA: Found it!

I know you're probably desperate to avoid the Twilight thread, but we had a bit of a discussion about it there based on the marketing of it.

I read this article in the Guardian about the Wuthering Heights reissue, but this is the excerpt that caught my eye:

A new edition of the novel, repackaged in a similar style to Meyer's Twilight books

I was disappointed in it .. I didn't watch most of the second part. The time lines were all over the place .. characters spoke other people's lines .. I wasn't convinced by most of the leads .. though I thought Heathcliff was good.

I usually like Burn Gorman but I was cringing for him here.

Joseph was terrible .. no attempt had been made to capture him at all.

I'm too anal about the book I know ... there has never been a decent adaptation and I knew as soon as it started and saw that they had done away with Mr Lockwood that we were going to get a sort of potted version .. and then every fifteen minutes or so Cathy and Heathcliff went to buy a new sofa .. awful.

It needs to be a good six parter .. like 'Pride and Prejudice' or 'Bleak House' .. and it needs to be BBC.

I did like it overall although I do obviously see flaws in it when comparing to the book. I know how different it is to the book, with Cathy saying things Nelly really said in the book for example and it skipping sections and altogether moving along too fast. It would have been better being longer and having more parts.

I think the best actor was Tom Hardy who played Heathcliff. :lol:

IMO if they attempted to made an adaptation so similar to the book I think people would still moan that it went on for too long or that bits were still left out.

I enjoyed the Yorkshire accents making it more raw and not so poncey and the deeper love affair between Cathy and Heathcliff of this adaptation and am aware it is not like the book but I still liked it and tried to see it as a stand alone piece which took inspiration from the book, book to film is never ever the same. It is similar to the case of Frankenstein, we just have to be happy we know the truth and original ideas. :D

Edit:-I also enjoyed ITV's use of the camera, especially the beginning. It seemed immediately like this was going to be a more modern take imo and think if BBC did it, it would have just been like all the others which are brilliant but all have the period drama feel immediately and may not draw in alot of viewers that do not normally like that feel. Thats just what I'm thinking right now anyhoo.:D

Edited by chrysalis_stage

.. and then every fifteen minutes or so Cathy and Heathcliff went to buy a new sofa .. awful.

Eh? :D What do you mean by that?

I don't know whether to try the book or not now. Like MuggleMagic, I enjoyed it - but I probably wouldn't if I'd read the book first.

Eh? :D What do you mean by that?

I don't know whether to try the book or not now. Like MuggleMagic, I enjoyed it - but I probably wouldn't if I'd read the book first.

I think Poppyshake means there were too many adverts and it messed up the flow the programme. If so I agree, I kept putting my telly on mute as the adverts came on as they are so annoying.

I think you should still try the book, I'm half way through it myself and enjoying it! :D

:D Oh, I see! Was it sponsored by DFS then? I can't even remember - I was refuelling my wine glass for some of them.

Although I agree that things like this are better without adverts. That's why I'm more than happy to pay a TV license fee. :D

Oh yeah! I should have remembered that as we like the Aviva advert with the Plymouth Argyle supporter and kept saying "that's a long old poke, init?" each time we saw the logo! :D

I missed the first few minutes and meant to ask - how did Heathcliffe's son come to be sent to Wuthering Heights aged about 8 (at a guess) - and how did Catherine get to meet him?

I think Poppyshake means there were too many adverts and it messed up the flow the programme. If so I agree, I kept putting my telly on mute as the adverts came on as they are so annoying.

I think you should still try the book, I'm half way through it myself and enjoying it! :D

haha if that is what Poppyshake meant then she is very witty indeed! Yes, there were faaaaar too many adverts for my liking! And why are the adverts always so LOUD :lol:

haha if that is what Poppyshake meant then she is very witty indeed! Yes, there were faaaaar too many adverts for my liking! And why are the adverts always so LOUD :lol:

Yes I agree, especially towards the end of part II, the ads were coming about every 10 minutes, soooo annoying when you are getting into it. That's also the trouble with ITV 3. I watch this a lot for re-runs of Sherlock Holmes and Poirot - sometimes the ads start just after about 2 minutes.:D And yes, they are bl**dy loud;) Nevertheless, I thought the production of WH was very good. I might have to read the book too but I don't think it would be a barrel of laughs:mrgreen: