Nightwish's Reading List 2009

Nightwish

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Belle is my favourite princess! I'd marry her like a shot! She loves libraries! She loves books! She doesn't mind big, ugly 'erberts! She looks hot in that off-the-shoulder yellow number!

Go on. I know. I'm fantasising about a cartoon!!!! :blush:

Belle is my favourite princess for everything Mac said except looking hot in the yellow dress as I hate yellow, but I'll replace that with having brown hair and greenish eyes. Everyone knows brunette is better unless you're a pixie or fairy (contraversial!) and green eyed people are smart. S'troo, I have green eyes :P

I'm KIDDING, before anyone launches into an attack on little ole moi :blush:

• 2 weeks later...

Red Dragon by Thomas Harris

Synopsis from Waterstones:

Sexual hunger; demonic violence; sinister logic - the lethal components of a deadly formula driving a psychopath in the grip of an unimaginable delusion; a boastful killer who sends the police tormenting notes; a tortured, torturing monster who finds ultimate pleasure in viciously murdering happy families, and calls himself...The Red Dragon. Special agent Will Graham has been assigned to similar cases before, cases where he was able to see and feel with the madmen, anticipate their moves and, most terrifying of all, be vulnerable to their horrifying brutality. Now Graham is reluctantly lured out of retirement, to find an opening to the evil mind of the Red Dragon. "Red Dragon" is quite probably the most suspenseful, utterly compelling thriller ever written.

My Thoughts:

This book got really mixed reviews from me. At first I didn't like it, as I found it difficult to get into due to Harris' style of writing. I found it a struggle to keep up with conversations between the characters as there was no description, so I was constantly wondering who actually was saying what and what they were doing, and sometimes when the conversation started to flow differently or they acted surprised I wondered what it was that started that because there was no description. When there was description, oh boy, it went on for several pages :( so sometimes it felt unbalanced.

I didn't really start getting into the book until near enough half way through when

you first witness a murder.

I thought from then on the story got quite intense and was actually going somewhere. I especially liked

the scenes from the past. I like knowing the history behind characters.

It felt like the writing picked up a bit as well as the story which made it all good! :friends0:

Another bad thing I have to point out was the ending, and that was only because I was a little bit confused and frustrated due to it being quite rushed. I didn't like how

Will was being told what happened and then had to wait a few more hours to find out the rest of what happened and so on...

that part really seemed to spoil the ending for me, even though I knew my frustration would have matched that of Wills so I was feeling some of the characters emotion, it just seemed to make me mad ;)

Rating: 7/10

I've been put off reading Time Traveler's Wife too because of the sci-fi sound of it, but having read your thoughts I might just put it on my TBR too.

You most definately should!

It is still my favourite book this year and I don't like the Sci Fi genre at all.

Remember Me? by Sophie Kinsella

Lexi wakes up in a hospital bed after a car accident, thinking it's 2004 and she's a twenty-five-year old with crooked teeth and a disastrous love life. But, to her disbelief, she learns it's actually 2007 - she's twenty-eight, her teeth are straight, she's the boss of her department - and she's married! To a good-looking millionaire! How on earth did she land the dream life? She can't believe her luck - especially when she sees her stunning new home. She's sure she'll have a fantastic marriage once she gets to know her husband again. He's drawn up a 'manual of our marriage', which should help. But as she learns more about her new self, chinks start to appear in the perfect life. All her old colleagues hate her. A rival is after her job. Then a dishevelled, sexy guy turns up...and lands a new bombshell. What the **** happened to her? Will she ever remember? And what will happen if she does?

My Thoughts:

This is the first ever book I have read by Sophie Kinsella and I am impressed! I admit, with the books I've recently read I started to lose my reading mojo, but Kinsella's writing isn't complicated, and the read is light-hearted fun that made this book easy to get into. Straight from the very first page Kinsella has the magic to captivate her readers.

A lot of the time I found myself laughing out loud at the great comedy moments, such as Mont Blanc! Extremely hilarious moments! You could really feel for the character Lexi, and I often found myself hiding my head in the book in embarrassment for her. Despite the fact that yes it does have great comedy moments, this book does address serious issues such as amnesia, affairs and loss of friendship and I found myself being able to sympathise with Lexi. The readers see Lexi as a fun, easy going person who is also quite a vulnerable and self conscious person, and when she finds out she hasn't spoken to her best friends in a long time and her whole department start to gang up on her I found myself feeling sorry for her as she felt bullied, and yet horrified as these people knew she had amnesia and

wasn't a horrible boss like she used to be! It turned out that they didn't think much had changed seeing as she looked the same, showing how appearances can be misleading.

The one thing I did have issues with was the character Eric. I really hated him as he was extremely shallow, didn't listen to anything Lexi said to him and appeared to be very controlling.

I was so glad when Lexi left him.

Overall this has been a fantastic read and I cannot wait to start reading other books by Kinsella.

Rating: 10/10

Over You by Lucy Diamond

Josie, Nell and Lisa go back a long way - they were flatmates, soulmates and best mates back in their twenties when life was one long party. Five years later, things are different. Josie is married with kids in deepest suburbia, free-spirit Nell has travelled the world, and Lisa is on the path to career glory (and the salary Premiership). A reunion weekend in London seems a great idea to Josie ...until she discovers something which will change the course of her life forever. 'Sassy, sexy and very funny, this is a great novel about following your fantasies - and then facing up to the consequences' - Kate Harrison, bestselling author of "The Brown Owl's Guide to Life", "The Self-Preservation Society" and, most recently, "The Secret Shopper's Revenge".

My Thoughts:

I wasn't sure about this when I first picked the book up from the library. Chick Lit hasn't always been my favourite genre and I struggle reading chick lit after chick lit. This however came as a very pleasant surprise as I found it to be fantastic! It wasn't typical "I have the most fantastic life ever" book, totally the opposite. Josie comes home to find her husband has been having an affair and is moving out, leaving her and the children behind. This book holds real raw emotion and I found myself in tears several times.

I found Josie to be a very strong character, very likable and brave. She went through the stages of hurt and betrayal, imagining her husband to turn up and saying he made a mistake, and a plan of action to get him back. I felt so proud of her at the end when

he turned up asking to get back with her as the grass wasn't greener on the other side, but she put her foot down and refused to have him back, finally seeing him for who he really is.

Lucy Diamond is a fantastic writer. There was quite a few times when I started to guess what would happen but there was always a twist and I was rarely right! This is what I love about books, me being wrong as I hate predictable books. Thank you Lucy Diamond for giving me my reading mojo back :D!

Rating: 10/10

Kelly - Time to give my Dan Brown books a re-read as its been years, then I'm going to read his new book. :D

Janet - I agree with you about the epilogue, I don't really see why authors feel the need to include one. Like at the end of the Harry Potter series, did Rowling really need the epilogue? It is nice to know what happens to the characters but I feel it is always a rushed job and seems some what fake?

• 3 weeks later...

Angels and Demons by Dan Brown

When a scientist is found brutally murdered, Harvard professor Robert Langdon is asked to identify the mysterious symbol seared onto the dead man's chest. Realising it must be the work of the Illuminati - an ancient secret brotherhood sworn against Catholicism - the race is on to prevent a tragedy.

My Thoughts:

I am quite a big fan of Dan Brown and with his latest book 'The Lost Symbol' being released I thought it was about time that his older books were read again. I really did love this book, it is a nice easy read, plus I like Dan's ideas and find some of the in-depth chapters to be really interesting.

There were some things that I didn't like about the book though and I found it to bug me throughout. The big issue was the timescale as I find it impossible to believe the various things that Robert Langdon managed to do in each hour,

look in the Vatican archives, actually find what he is looking for, work out the puzzle, make it to one place, find out he is in the wrong place anyway and get the other place!

It just seems quite over the top and unbelievable to me. I admit, I did find the book to be quite long. Usually a book of that size doesn't bother me but I thought the ending did drag on quite a bit and during the last 40 pages I couldn't wait to get to the end. What about the helicopter part?! Well I did get it a bit more this time round reading it but I still thought it was a bit silly :friends0:

Overall I did find this to be quite an enjoyable read and would recommend this book to other readers.

Rating: 7/10