Low fat/healthy recipes?

What a great thread - I'll be trying a few new recipes, soon!.

Has anyone read Rose Elliot's "Kitchen Pharmacy" - we forget so easily that "we are what we eat" and there's loads of healing recipes in there - for all sorts of problems.

I've got one problem, though. Rose is fond of using tomatoes a lot in her recipes - and I'm looking for a pasta sauce recipe which doesn't use tomatoes - or at least only a little. My system can't handle tomatoes now : and they used to be a favourite of mine.

Any suggestions, anyone - my imagination has stalled on this one.

Edited by Booknutt

Thanks for the suggestion, Talisman - but unfortunately, mushrooms are a bit of a problem, too.

I presently have problems with yeast-sensitivity, which includes in the list tomatoes, mushrooms, any red-skinned fruit or vegs, vinegar or alcohol!:(To add to my tale of woe - G.M. wheat, is "off" too, and no more than a little sugar/lactose etc., In short - I'm developing food allergies,due to immune system problems.

My fault - I should have been more explicit (or or boring, according to one's viewpoint)

The net result is that menu-planning is becoming a bit of a nightmare, with me relying a lot on plain cooked vegs/rice/non-wheat pasta, eggs, and potatoes for daily needs.

It's come to a point where I'm snookered for ideas, and my imagination has taken a holiday.

So, ladies and gents - any ideas for recipes, or suitable books, will be gratefully received.

(By the way - going off g.m. wheat is a good idea in general - give it a try - I'm, losing weight without even trying! :D

A mulch of peppers and onions can give some flavour and moisture while sauteed courgettes or stir fry type veggies can give some crunch.

I'm a big fan of cold pasta and rice dishes, which could just as easily be hot, so the following could be thrown in (not all together but as different and combinable options!)

Pine nuts, pesto sauces, spinach, a little grated cheese (if you are able), beans (as in adzuki, berlotti, black eyed etc). I love Edamame beans, grated carrot and

grated apple.

May I suggest getting herby and spicey too?....lemon grass, fennel, coriander, chives, black pepper, a good sea salt. I also love using cayenne and paprika. :)

Ladies - I thank you very much! :friends0: - for truly, I was getting considerably "down" with all the health problems, and food problems, too! We can handle most things in this world so long as we can resort to our favourite comfort-foods - but it's a disaster when they have to go!

I'll try out both your suggestions - the good news about my M.E. related problems is that I'm exploring new things I was much too boring to bother with, before. :)

Edited by Booknutt

For Pipread...

Leek, potato & bacon bake

Ingredients

• 600ml chicken or vegetable stock
  • 1kg potatoes, thinly sliced
  • 6 leeks , thinly sliced into rounds
  • 25g butter
  • 3-4 rashers streaky bacon, snipped
  • 3 tbsp double cream (optional)

Method

1. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Put the stock in a large pan, bring to the boil, then add the potatoes and the leeks. Bring back to the boil for 5 mins, then drain well, reserving the stock in a jug.
  2. Meanwhile, butter a large baking dish. Layer up the potatoes and leeks higgledypiggledy, seasoning as you go, then scatter the bacon over the top. Season well, pour over 200ml of the reserved stock, then spoon over the cream (if using) and cover with foil. Can be made up to 1 day ahead and chilled. Bake for 40 mins, uncovering halfway through so that the bacon crisps.

Per serving

153 kcalories, protein 5g, carbohydrate 24g, fat 5 g, saturated fat 2g, fibre 4g, sugar 3g, salt 0.35 g

• 1 year later...

Old thread, but I tried a great recipe last night and this seemed the most likely place to put it. :)

http://www.twopeasandtheirpod.com/easy-pasta-salad/ - It was so easy and healthy, and made for great leftovers for lunch today!

Hope this can be useful to someone.

You could always try a home made biryani Booknutt, assuming your system can handle it.

I don't cook it very often, but when I do it's really simple to make and cheap.

It's just brown rice, with whatever veggies you fancy, and for the spices one of those packets that you buy in the supermarket. The one I buy is designed for a chicken biryani, but the spices themselves are of course vegetarian, so I just leave out the chicken. Just chuck it all in the pan with boiling water and cook it all up. Simple, cheap, healthy and delicious. You can even eat it with lettuce if you really want !