Low fat/healthy recipes?

I know quite a few of us on here are dieting/trying to lose weight, and I know some members cook a lot of meals from scratch, so I'd thought I'd create a thread for members to share recipes and tips for foods to eat to keep healthy or lose weight.

I've been trying to find some cheap, normal meals (aka not fancy) from recipe websites, but haven't come across anything very good so far, any help is gratefully received! :lol:

The tomato soup I make (and had for dinner tonight) is low fat and very healthy. It is store cupboard soup and I will often leave out the herbs if I haven't got fresh or I will substitue for thyme or parsley if that is all I have. Also, the milk or creme fraiche just give it a nice colour and make it a bit more fullfilling. It is also my husband's favourite soup!

2 small/1 large carrot, diced small

1 large onion, diced small

1 stick celery, diced small

2 small/1 large clove garlic

2 14oz cans tomatoes

a handful fresh basil or fresh oregano (or if you haven't got it, leave it out)

1/2-1 tablespoon olive oil (as desired)

teaspoon of vegetable stock granules or one cube

water

2 dessertspoons half fat creme fraiche

OR

milk poured into one of the cans to measure half way up the can

salt and pepper and pinch of sugar

parmesan shavings (optional to make lower in fat but they taste very nice!)

Heat the oil and added the carrot, onion and celery.

Cook with the lid on about 5 minutes till the onion is soft and the celery and carrot are beginning to soften.

Add the garlic and cook another 2 minutes, but don't let anythig brown.

Add the toms and about half a can of water with the stock granules. Simmer about 20 minutes or so till the veg is soft.

Chop the herbs and add about half to the pot about 5 minutes before it is done.

Take the pot off the heat and blitz everything (I use a hand held blender but if you are doing in a normal blender or processor you need to do it in batches).

Put back on a very low heat and if it is too thick add a bit more water. Taste and season with salt, peper and pinch of sugar.

Stir in the milk or creme fraiche and heat - don't boil if using milk.

Check the seasoning again and serve with shavings of parmesan.

Oh yeah and it is a really cheap meal too so won't break the bank!

My problem with sites light that is they require some cooking ability, and really weird ingrediants.

Today I had a pile of lettuce with my pasta...the mixed leaves kind, and it was lovely. I can't eat pasta on it's own, even with meat, and sauces can be filling, but I adore lettuce so I plonked equal amounts lettuce and pasta on with chicken and red onion and twas delish. :lol:

My problem with sites light that is they require some cooking ability, and really weird ingrediants.

Today I had a pile of lettuce with my pasta...the mixed leaves kind, and it was lovely. I can't eat pasta on it's own, even with meat, and sauces can be filling, but I adore lettuce so I plonked equal amounts lettuce and pasta on with chicken and red onion and twas delish. :lol:

I do that! I LOVE lettuce, especially the packets of all sorts of different leaves. I will stir them into pasta with a bit of balsamic vinegar and a bit of grated parmesan. Sounds weird but it is really yummy! Well yummy if you like lettuce and balsamic that is :lol:

Oh me too! I would call it my favourite vegetable but my OH thinks that is really weird. I have even had lettuce sandwiches before and loved them. I have a friend who swears iceburg lettuce is the perfect hangover remedy though I am not so sure myself :lol:

I make a roasted tomato and red pepper soup that, under Weight Watchers, is ZERO POINTS:

1 large carton cherry tomatoes (or tin of tomatoes or jar of passata if you prefer)

1 large onion (pealed and cut in half)

2 large red peppers (de-seeded and cut in half)

2 large cloves fresh garlic (pealed)

salt, black pepper, basil and oregano (to taste)

stock pot/cube (vegetable, chicken or ham all work very well)

spray oil

water

- Pre-set oven to 200C

- Spread the tomatoes*, peppers and garlic cloves on a large baking tray and spritz with spray oil

- Pop in the oven for about 30 mins (till the garlic is soft, and the tomatoes, peppers and onions all lightly roasted)

- Whack the whole lot in the blender and whiz till smooth

- Stick it all in a large pan, add the same amount again of water drop in the stock pot/cube

- Add salt, black pepper, basil and oregano to taste (you can also add spices if you fancy - a srinkle of chilli is lovely!)

- simmer for about 10-15 minutes

- serve

* if you're using tinned tomatoes or passata, obviously don't put them on the baking tray!

This should make 2-3 generous servings if you're using a carton of cherry tomatoes, and 3-4 if using a tin of tomatoes or jar of passata. It's easy to adjust the amounts if you want to make a larger or smaller amount and you can even freeze batches of it for future use if you like!

If you leave out the water and stock pot/cube, this makes an excellent pasta sauce too!

You can also use this as a base for adding other items to the soup, e.g. kidney beans, chickpeas, bacon, chorizo, etc; whatever you fancy really (chickpea and chorizo is a favourite combo of mine!).

Also, this is a lovely, warming soup in cold weather OR you can eat it chilled in the summer as it works particularly well as a chilled soup - it's a winner all round and a regular in our flat. :lol:

I make a roasted tomato and red pepper soup that, under Weight Watchers, is ZERO POINTS:

1 large carton cherry tomatoes (or tin of tomatoes or jar of passata if you prefer)

1 large onion (pealed and cut in half)

2 large red peppers (de-seeded and cut in half)

2 large cloves fresh garlic (pealed)

salt, black pepper, basil and oregano (to taste)

stock pot/cube (vegetable, chicken or ham all work very well)

spray oil

water

- Pre-set oven to 200C

- Spread the tomatoes*, peppers and garlic cloves on a large baking tray and spritz with spray oil

- Pop in the oven for about 30 mins (till the garlic is soft, and the tomatoes, peppers and onions all lightly roasted)

- Whack the whole lot in the blender and whiz till smooth

- Stick it all in a large pan, add the same amount again of water drop in the stock pot/cube

- Add salt, black pepper, basil and oregano to taste (you can also add spices if you fancy - a srinkle of chilli is lovely!)

- simmer for about 10-15 minutes

- serve

* if you're using tinned tomatoes or passata, obviously don't put them on the baking tray!

This should make 2-3 generous servings if you're using a carton of cherry tomatoes, and 3-4 if using a tin of tomatoes or jar of passata. It's easy to adjust the amounts if you want to make a larger or smaller amount and you can even freeze batches of it for future use if you like!

If you leave out the water and stock pot/cube, this makes an excellent pasta sauce too!

You can also use this as a base for adding other items to the soup, e.g. kidney beans, chickpeas, bacon, chorizo, etc; whatever you fancy really (chickpea and chorizo is a favourite combo of mine!).

Also, this is a lovely, warming soup in cold weather OR you can eat it chilled in the summer as it works particularly well as a chilled soup - it's a winner all round and a regular in our flat. :lol:

That sounds lovely! I know you cook a lot of fresh food, do you get recipes from cookbooks or just make them up yourself?

That sounds lovely! I know you cook a lot of fresh food, do you get recipes from cookbooks or just make them up yourself?

I'm the queen of mish-mash - I just pick a load of ingredients I think will go together and give it a bash. :lol:

I love the sound of that soup but don't have a blender. Thinking I might have to invest to make soups in the future.

If you like a chunky soup, you can always just cut up everything finely (or roughly if you like it really rustic!) and add a tin of tomatoes for extra tomato-ey-ness with the stock. I just like a smooth soup/sauce base and add extra chunks to it - I'll often add another sauteed onion and some mushrooms to the soup, and perhaps some extra peppers and courgette too if I'm having it as a sauce. Yummy!

Or, if you have the patience, you can push it all through a seive.

• 2 weeks later...

This is such a good thread!

I've been at weightwatchers for about 6 weeks now and I'm getting bored of the same old thing for tea every night.

I buy fish in a parsley sauce (which is frozen and takes 5 mins or so in the microwave) and add it to pasta and vegetables such as brocolli (about 4 - 5 points on the weightwatchers diet.) As I'm not a great cook myself I buy a lot of frozen veg and add it to most meals.

Totally lost my mojo at the mo but hope to get it back asap!

If you like squid, try this recipie.

2 squids per person should do it.

Clean squid, cut off tentacles, and chop the tentacles. Now you have the squid tubes which you can fill.

For filling:

Onions, chopped finely

basil & mint chopped up

capers, and green olives,

hard boiled eggs (small one per tube)

can of tuna per 2 tubes

few slices of anchovies chopped up

A tin of clams, or a handful of prawns.

Half of the chopped up tentacles

Fill up tubes with above mixture and secure with toothpicks.

For sauce :

Chop some onions and garlic, fry in a tablespoon of olive oil

Add leaves of coarsly chopped fresh basil

The other half of chopped up tentacles

Add small glass of water

Add a couple of diced potatoes

Add some chopped up carrots

Put in the stuffed tubes of squid

Add a can of tomatoes, or passata

Simmer till ready, and serve with crunchy bread to dip in the sauce.

Low fat and delicious.

Let me know if you tried it and loved it :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Last week I made my favourite dish which is a tuna pasta bake. I'm a lazy cook so I love this because it takes little time to make and lasts me a week. :D

I use a large tin of tuna and cook up about a kilo of mixed vegies - I've worked out the frozen stuff is just as nice as fresh and there's no prep time involved - and then I throw in some pasta and mix it all up with a jar of creamy tuna pasta bake sauce. I then sprinkle cheese on the top and throw it (not literally) in the oven to melt the cheese. It's really delicious. :roll:

Now I've decided I should try to make it a little healthier. The first thing to go will be the cheese, but I don't want to get of the sauce, even though I know white creamy sauces aren't as good as, say, tomato-based sauces, but I don't think that'd go well with my tuna and vegies. :D

Does anyone have any ideas/recipes for a healthier sauce (white or not) that I can use for this dish?

I know I should probably also get rid of the pasta and potatoes because they're carbs, but I'll have to think about that. Maybe I could just reduce the amount. And I'm also going to start having my main meal at lunch time so I will have more time to burn off those carbs anyway.

what if you substitute the veggies for more mediterranean type veggies like Peppers and Onions, this should work well with a tomato based sauce then if you like add olives and capers and fresh basil, you can get frozen mixed peppers too if you don't want the hassle of chopping them yourself. I generally work under the proviso of what goes well together so tomatoes, peppers tuna should be a great combo. If you still want to add cheese then add some low fat mozarella on the top.

• 2 weeks later...

My favourite soup is parsnip and apple, roast two-three parsnips in a tiny bit of olive oil. Fry a small onion in as little oil as possible, add a couple of cloves of garlic, sliced. Add one Bramley apple, cubed.

Chuck the lot in a blender with enough water to make a thick soupy consistency. Once blended, season to taste, heat through, and eat.

It's an amazing soup, the flavours are far more complex and subtle than you'd expect. I usually season it with a bit of bouillon powder rather than salt.

• 1 month later...

Two of my favourites are as follows (both serve 2 people)

Mushroom Stroganoff

1 carton chestnut mushrooms

1 medium onion

olive oil

1/2 small carton soya cream

1/2 mug vegetable stock

1/2 glass dry white wine

chopped dill

wash and desstalk the mushrooms. slice thinly. peel and chop the onion

fry both in a little olive oil until brown

add the vegetable stock, soya cream and wine and simmer until most of the sauce has evaporated, stirring continuously.

spirnkle liberally with chopped dill

serve with brown rice and vegetables of your choice

Stuffed Courgettes

3 medium sized courgettes

3 cherry tomatoes

goats cheese

black olives

chop ends off the courgettes, slice in half lengthways and scoop out the flesh

fill with halved cherry tomatoes, black olives and goats cheese

bake at gas mark 6 or 200 degrees for about 20 minutes

serve with white basmati rice, fresh corn cobs and basil leaves. Yum !

Veggie kebabs of course are also good - use whatever you fancy - peppers, onion, tomatoes, mini corn cobs, fennel, mushrooms - whatever. Great with rice and salad, with lot of coleslaw.

This is what I had this evening....

Hearty pasta soup

• 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 2 carrots , chopped
  • 1 large onion, finely chopped
  • 1l vegetable stock
  • 400g can chopped tomatoes
  • 200g frozen mixed peas and beans
  • 250g pack fresh filled tortellini (we used spinach and ricotta)
  • handful of basil leaves (optional)
  • grated Parmesan, to serve

1. Heat oil in a pan. Fry the carrots and onion for 5 mins until starting to soften. Add the stock and tomatoes, then simmer for 10 mins. Add the peas and beans with 5 mins to go.
  2. Once veg is tender, stir in the pasta. Return to the boil and simmer for 2 mins until the pasta is just cooked. Stir in the basil, if using. Season, then serve in bowls topped with a sprinkling of Parmesan and slices of garlic bread.

Yummy Yummy Yummy!