Mom-Lit?

After all the boyfriend/career angst chick-lit novels we've had for quite a while now, the new breed seem to all feature mums-with-toddlers/babies/pregnant bellies. I'm wondering if this is the birth (LOL!) of a new offshoot - the Mum-Lit novel?

I''ve just started reading Momzillas by Jill Kargman and I have The Manny by Holly Peterson, but I've noticed quite a few other similar-sounding "women's fiction" novels recently:

24-karat Kids by Judy Goldstein and Sebastian Stuart

The Secret Life of a Slummy Mummy by Fiona Neill

Gucci Gucci Coo by Sue Margolis

The Bright Side of Disaster by Katherine Center

The Motherhood Walk of Fame by Shari Low

Secret Diary of a Demented Housewife by Niamh Greene

The Playground Mafia by Sarah Tucker

The Rise and Fall of a Yummy Mummy by Polly Williams

Shopaholic and Baby by Sophie Kinsella

Confessions of a Bad Mother by Stephanie Calman

The Yorkshire Pudding Club by Milly Johnson

The Battle for Big School by Sarah Tucker

Mummy Said the F-Word by Fiona Gibson

Something Blue by Emily Griffin

Three in a Bed by Carmen Reid

And those are just the ones that immediately jumped out at me in a quick random search!

So, is it just that the chick-lit generation of career v. boyfriend type characters have grown up and had babies?

I know what you mean. I read Momzillas a while ago too. I think it is just a portion of chicklit that seems to be floating to the top. I noticed this when it was Mothers Day. WHSmith had a lot of books about young mums, toddlers, pregnancy. I do quite enjoy them though :friends0: I have also read a few off the list you wrote.

I think Mom Lit had always been there but perhaps you are noticing them more now you are a mummy?

I think all types of chick lit start appearing more in the summer months as people want a nice easy read for the beach. Even I have been reading chick lit recently! *Shock*

I have noticed it appearing more, and think possibly that just the authors who wrote chardonnay-and-shopping-and-boyfriends-and-weddings chick-lit; and the people who read them, are all 5-10 years older and have started being mums and suddenly have a new observational humour to exploit about their common experience. Expect, in 10-15 years a "My kids are leaving for university and I've nothing to fill that void, middle-aged women finding excitement elsewhere" type of fiction.

I think the points made there are all correct - I know some of them have been around fror a while (I read Confessions of a Bad Mother ages ago after my Mam recommended it - LOL), but it does seem to be something that's being promoted a lot more and on ALL the shelves at the moment. And Andy, I expect you're right about the upcoming "Empty-Nest-Lit" too! :friends0:

I have noticed this too - but thought it was just because I am now a mummy, and the books just suddenly appeal to me! I read most of the wedding ones when planning my wedding but they don't appeal now.

Have read some from that list and have noted down the others as ones to try so thank you! :icon_eek:

NicolaJ