Habits while reading

Dusky

What do you use as a bookmark?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. What do you use as a bookmark?

• Some sort of travel ticket (bus, train etc)
    • Some form of receipt or clothing tag or wrapper
    • Something ornate and beautiful, a treasure in itself
    • I fold the corners over!
    • I put the book upside down and open on the page
    • Other (please comment)

As I said in my main comment everytime I visit Waterstones I grab a handful of free bookmarks and use them I try to not to bookmark all my books though ... lol. So I voted other.

I'll have to keep an eye out for those bookmarks, I've never seen them in my local Waterstones.

Even though I have a pile of bookmarks (which is shrinking for some reason) I have been known to put the book face down whilst I'm taking a break, even if the bookmark is right next to me :).

How come a bookmark isn't one of the options? I know it's a strange thing using a bookmark as a ..................bookmark. lol! I don't have any realy peculiar habits, other than I need to be in comfy clothes to really enjoy reading. PJ's preferable.

I voted other because I use an array of things to bookmark my page, including proper bookmarks from museums, landmarks, reciepts, tags, pieces of wool or general paper to hand etc.

I place my bookmark either beside of me, on my chest or in the back of the book when reading. I am told I figet alot when reading but I don't want sores now do I? I wiggle my feet a fair bit and try different holding positions of the book which never work (to save my aching arms).

My books are somewhat organised on my shelves, but it won't take long to become disorganised with the now lack of space after buying too many at once (still want more ofcourse).

It depends on the book and how far I am into reading to whether I can withstand any noise around me. I could read Tess Gerritsen on the noisy bus to college but thats maybe because of the pace of the book, I could not read a poetry, prosey book of which I need to concentrate on a noisy bus. I can't read with direct conversation aimed at me, I've tried but sadly cannot block them out :) and I often feel bad if I do block them out as I'm forever saying no one listens to me so I should pause and listen to them to try to alter that.

I read more at night when it is silent and the majority of people are in bed and the birds are in their nests too. :) I can stop reading mid-sentence if I have to but I try my hardest to finish on a chapter but sometimes it is not possible and the end of a sentence mid-paragraph it must be. I just re-read the last sentence to regain my momento.

Edited by chrysalis_stage

I switch bookmarks a lot. When travelling it will be a travel receipt. But since November I've got my RSC Hamlet ticket to use as a bookmark. Beside that when on the train to work I also put my train card in between but that's just practical since I don't want to search for it every time they come to check it.

I use postcards as bookmarks, they're so big that the books opens more easily at the page I left it.

I put the postcard in the back of the book while reading on the bus/train and beside me while reading at home.

If I don' have a postcard at the moment, I use what's handy eg plainticket, or something else that's a bit big because little bus tickets always tend to vanish while reading.

Books and pages never get bend!!

Gladly I can read everywhere, it doesn'matter if it's loud, but if there's a conversation that's louder than the others (on a train) and sticks out of the alltogether noise, I like to start my mp3 player, otherwise the conversation would distract me. With music it doesn't matter if it's instrumental or with singing, I can tune that out.

Edited by lopeanha

I have mostly all kinds of bookmarks for books which I haven't read yet.

When I reread a book however, I don't always use bookmarks. Especially not when I'm only reading a book to pass some time while going somewhere.

One of my worst habbits according to my children is that sometimes you can hear me laugh when I read something really funny. :) So it isn't bad for the book, perhaps only for possible people around me.