What word ... ?

Do you have a favourite use of a single word in a book?

Or, perhaps there's a word you look out for to see how the author has used it?

Is there a word you dislike or find overused?

I have to admit, there are certain words that have an impact on me whenever I see them, and I just wondered if anyone else had specific words they look out for?

My favourite use of a single word in all the books I've read, is obsequiousness used in the description of Mr Collins in Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen:

A fortunate chance had recommended him to Lady Catherine de Bourgh when the living of Hunsford was vacant; and the respect which he felt for her high rank, and his veneration for her as his patroness, mingling with a very good opinion of himself, of his authority as a clergyman, and his right as a rector, made him altogether a mixture of pride and obsequiousness, self-importance and humility.

One word I often use to judge an author is myriad. Authors sometimes use it incorrectly, for example, "a myriad of colours", when the definition of the word means this example should be "myriad colours". I'm often told I'm being pedantic and that it's one of those words where common misuse results in the evolution of language, but it's just one of those things that jumps off the page at me! I can forgive it if the book is great, but if I'm not enjoying it then I'll use it as a perfect excuse for disliking the entire book.

There aren't any particular words I don't like, and I can't think of any that get overused particularly, but I do get frustrated when authors use antiquated or archaic words for the sake of it, as if they're flaunting their vocabulary; it just makes me think they've gone overboard with their thesaurus.

I don't know why but I love the word 'splintered' Whether it be describing 'splintered shards of light' or the sounds of bones splintering. This word can bring on so many emotions. I cringe when I hear it in books such as Misery or it just makes me read the whole sentence again! Don't ask me why it just does. :):lol::D

I hate the word chargrin, Stephenie Meyer used it so much in the Twilight series, especially Breaking Dawn that whenever I hear or see that work I cringe :)

:D I agree about the overuse of that word. And the word love, particularly in Eclipse and Breaking Dawn.

Egregious. As used by Mona in Blackwood Farm, by Anne Rice. Didn't care much for her, though... But egregious - what a lovely word. Egregious. Everyone together, now. Egregious. :)

My vocab's fairly vast so the best way for an author to impress me is to use a word that, back in the days of living at home, would make me shout "Muu-uuum! What does x mean?" It doesn't happen very often, but when it does I try to have a notebook handy to jot the new word down to look up, mull over, and strive to use in my own work.

One word I hate seeing over-used is, quite simply, "said". When language allows you to convey emotion, depth, atmosphere, relationships with words like "whispered", "exclaimed", "cried", "blurted out", "blubbered", "muttered", "sighed", "smirked", "jeered", "rejoiced", "agreed", "concurred", "exploded", "called", "whimpered", "simpered", "shouted", "trilled", "requested", "demanded", "conceded"... you say "said". and. repeat. it. for. two. pages. of. dialogue?!?!!

One word I often use to judge an author is myriad. Authors sometimes use it incorrectly, for example, "a myriad of colours", when the definition of the word means this example should be "myriad colours". I'm often told I'm being pedantic...

THen I must be pedantic too - it's one of my own bugbears!

Thanks, Kell. It's nice to know I'm not alone :)

BookJumper - I'm wracking my brains trying to remember where I read or heard this, but I do remember an author talking about hating the use of anything other than "said". It was someone quite literary, and if I remember correctly, he used J. K. Rowling as an example, and complained that it was condescending to readers to assume they couldn't figure out how the dialogue was being delivered, and part of the experience of reading is the interpretation of the written material.

That actually sounds quite familiar, and to a point I can se the - haha - point; however I feel that it is part of an author's job to keep his readers from utter boredom, and personally (I am aware that this might just be my own personal derangement at work here) dialectic sequences that go on for pages on end, totalling (say) 2000 words, 200 to 500 of which (depending on the length of speeches) are "said", tend to bore me to bits.

So, the word that bugs me most (apart from modern made-up words like worldview or mindset) is ennui. And I couldn't begin to explain why. I just don't like it.

Although I don't hate it as much as misuse of the "xxx and I" construct by otherwise intelligent people. At least that's usually not in books, and just in regular conversation.

As for the "said" debate, I dislike both. Multiple uses of "said" becomes very jarring; but trying to keep it all varied makes a book feel like a comedy English lesson with a teacher proving a point about lexicon. Once a conversation has started you really don't need either, unless a third voice is introduced (and even then you can often leave it out because context and voice can tell you who is speaking), unless you very specifically need to add the tone.

"I don't like too much of either way of doing it," said Andy

"Really?" muttered Bookjumper

"Well, it's redundant."

"Is it?"

"What do you think?"

"Oh, stop being so bloody patronising!" shouted Bookjumper

"Just making a point."

"Will you two just shut up," said Kell

"I'm right, of course, but if you want me to shut up, I will."

"Smug and patronising. Well, if he shuts up, I will too."

etc...

Edited by Freewheeling Andy

"Will you two just shut up," said Kell

Kell then collapsed on the floor in a fit of giggles at Andy's masterly portrayal of BCF members. :)

Re: Andy's clever addition to the "said" debate, I wasn't advocating the idea that every end quotation mark should be followed by a colourful word substituting "said"; I do agree that if only two people are talking such words are hardly needed at all, unless a dramatic change of pace/tone/mood is applied to an otherwise innocent uttering. I just get frustrated at conversations that go more or less like this:

"Hello," said BookJumper.

"Hello to you too," said Andy.

"So, this debate thing..." said BookJumper.

"Tiring, is it not?" said Andy.

"You can say that again," said BookJumper.

"Why are we still talking about it, anyhow?" said Andy.

"You know, I'm really not sure," said BookJumper. "Maybe I just like to hear myself speak."

"That makes two of us," said Andy.

"We should stop debating and get along then," said BookJumper.

"Good idea," said Andy.

... and so on ad infinitum.

That said, I quite like the word ennui - although to be fair, so far I've only ever encountered it in Shakespearean criticism, and even then only with reference to (you've guessed it) a certain Prince of Denmark, so really I haven't had a chance to get bored of it yet.

Ha. I absolutely agree that the repeated "said" is dreadful. It's just that if someone looks like they are deliberately using a thesaurus to try and keep variety in the language for the sake of it, that's almost as irritating.

Anyway, on to words I love:

I adore peripatetic. I think it's because of the lovely way it sounds off the tongue and in my head. It's not used nearly enough.

I also love non-sequitor (although, given my penchant (another favourite word) for bad puns, if someone makes a non-sequitor that's meant to be cutting and fails, I always think of it as "non-secateur").

When I read mysteries/crime novels, I stop whenever I run across the words Schadenfreude or nemesis. They dig down deep into the psychology of the character. Good words.

Also on the lookout how an author uses frisson:lurker:

I also love non-sequitor (although, given my penchant (another favourite word) for bad puns, if someone makes a non-sequitor that's meant to be cutting and fails, I always think of it as "non-secateur").

Oh, Andy - I love that! :)

I like "conundrum", "circumnavigate", and "bivouac". I love them even more when they're used correctly. :tong:

There aren't too many words that I don't like, but I find that any word that is overused in a book gets annoying. It's like the author just learned it and wants to show off. :D

Last year I read Indecision by Benjamin Kunkel. Instead of saying "I said" he used "And I was like." Furthermore, men were invariably referred to as "dudes." Sometimes, both vexing usages occurred in a single sentence.

I found this so unbearable that I could not wait to finish the book and vow never to read anything by him again.

I guess I am, like, a totally pretentious dude.

Last year I read Indecision by Benjamin Kunkel. Instead of saying "I said" he used "And I was like." Furthermore, men were invariably referred to as "dudes." Sometimes, both vexing usages occurred in a single sentence.

That's awful!

I thought of you, Sedge and BookJumper, when I was reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time the other day. There was quite a lot of 'and then I said...and then she said...and then I said'. In this case, I thought it was understandable in the context of the story and the fact that the character had Asperger's.

Iridescence and exquisite are probably my favourite words along with Flicker (David Eddings used this word a lot in the Belgariad) or luminosity, and lucid - love words like that also a lot of s words like slither, sly, Severus Snape (he he couldn't resist!)

I am not even going to put in words I hate though the constant use of the F word annoys me - surely there are other words you can use to convey anger without swearing, to me its just not clever.

One of my favourite songs is Eurythmics I Need A Man - A three minute angsty song without one swear word!

Not a word in particular, but I love it when a writer uses alliteration cleverly. If it's done very well, it can give me goosebumps!

Not a word in particular, but I love it when a writer uses alliteration cleverly. If it's done very well, it can give me goosebumps!

As a writer who's been told to cut the allitterion-mania because it's not funny and it's not clever but, rather, snobby and pretentious... you have just made my day :readingtwo:!