The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer

Nollaig

• Replies 798
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And then we can all sit around discussing how badly the movie does at trying to adapt the books, and yet how it still manages to be better than the book. :friends0:

:D

You know you love it really.

New Moon isn't my favourite book in the saga so I don't know how I will feel about the film. Maybe it will be amazing. Then again, maybe not...:motz:

Well see, I actually love the characters, including Jake, in the movie way more than the book. As such while I hated New Moon (book) as it was like Edward Jake Jake Jake Jake Jake Edward Edward in constitution, (and I hated book Jake) I suspect I may well enjoy this movie more.

Although, I have a feeling some bits of Meyer's god awful writing just won't translate well to the big screen.

For example, in the extended trailer

we see Bella screaming in her sleep, and yes she did that in the book but boy does it look stupid. Anyone screaming like that would wake themselves up! It'd actually be credible if she cried or something.

Nobody would do that ANYWAY - 'don't do anything reckless.' 'Okay, I'll just lie down here in the woods you specifically warned me not to wander into time and time again.'

Having said that, the effects are amazing.

Underwater Edward, motorcycle Edward, the werewolves, my god. It's going to look great.

I also think the

love triangle

will translate very well to the big screen

(other than the obvious point of Bella's attraction to Jake being forced and superficial)

but I think it will create a neat little microcosm within the movie itself to make it self-contained - all the characters have a history, but even without ever seeing the original movie, there's this story there that starts, develops, and finishes within the one movie.

And then we can all sit around discussing how badly the movie does at trying to adapt the books, and yet how it still manages to be better than the book. :friends0:

I think that Twilight works better on screen for the simple reason that the silly writing can't be translated into image. That's, I believe, why I at first liked Twilight and then changed my mind as soon as I found out how the book flows.:D

Having finished New Moon yesterday, the best I can say is that it was OK, and this only because I generally have a weakness for romances. Apart from the bad writing, I couldn't but think that a monkey is much smarter than Bella herself.I mean,

she actually believed that Edward stopped being in love with her just like that? And how about the scene where she went close to the people who could be the ones who tried to rape her! Not to mention that the whole voice-thing was a bit pathetic.

Furthermore, I thought that Jake was a selfish pig (sorry team Jacob). In addition, you can't write some 700 pages with so little action.

I wonder how Eclipse and Breaking Dawn are going to be. I don't have any intention to listen to the whole Twilight, I'm only curious about the essential scenes.

Enough said till now, sorry if I bored you with all this.:motz:

I've been re-re-re-reading parts of NM off and on the last month or so, but I really can't see myself reading it in it's entirety before the film. While it used to be one I liked more than the others in the series, this last re-read was almost annoying. Too much Jacob for my taste and Bella got on my nerves. I agree that the series will work better on screen, and like Dimitra I too have a weakness for romances.

I think the films are only going to get better. The first one was almost like a tryout/dress rehearsal, complete with an indie budget and director. Now that they know how enthusiastic people are and have a seemingly endless budget, they are going all out. You can tell that just from the 3 trailers of NM with Weitz as the director, and I'm even more curious to see what Slade is doing with Eclipse. They still won't commit to saying that they are doing BD, but how can they not?! Can you imagine the uproar if they are all of a sudden "yeah, we're just going to do 3 films" ??

Well, the rumour going round about BD is the same as the last HP film, if it gets made it'll be split into two films! Could be interesting :motz:

I loved New Moon the book (even if I did sob through most of it!) but I'm unsure about the film. I think they've made Jake and Bella's friendship into too much of a romance, they were close but not that close (from Bella's p.o.v. anyway) and I personally don't like that. I am however desperate to see Eclipse as I love David Slade - roll on July! I shall be miffed though if they make Eclipse into this bloomin' love triangle fest as well :friends0:

Sorry but I'm firmly Team Edward, Jacob just annoys me and I really don't like Taylor Lautner - can't get past his appearance in Cheaper By The Dozen 2 :D

I just read an article that interviewed a few of the cast and they were saying that the 3rd film, Eclipse, is going to be much darker than the first two. They compared it to going from the first Harry Potter movie to the fifth.

Less than 2 months now until New Moon!

I think the films are only going to get better. The first one was almost like a tryout/dress rehearsal, complete with an indie budget and director.

Personally, I think it was a shame from Summit Entertainment's side to submit a low-budget, when the success of the film was almost sure. And I don't even understand where did they spent it!:friends0:

Edited by Dimitra

Personally, I think it was a shame from Summit Entertainment's side to submit a low-budget, when the success of the film was almost sure. And I don't even understand where did they spent it!:friends0:

Did you not notice Edward's elaborate hair-do? Hair gel doesn't fall from the skies, you know. ;):(

I agree, Dimitra, they had to have known what a box office blow out it would be based on the popularity of the books! I have no idea where all the money went either, how much can wire-work and sparkles cost?! I still give kudos to Hardwicke for being the first person to volunteer for the job though.

Did you not notice Edward's elaborate hair-do? Hair gel doesn't fall from the skies, you know. :lol::motz:

Rosalie and Jasper's extremely bad bleach jobs cost a fair penny too :D:smile2:

:D:lol: This made me laugh out loud! (My BF probably thinks I'm losing my marbles!)

• 2 months later...

Quick question.

In New Moon,

the Cullens had a party for Bella, she cut her finger, and Jasper nearly ate her.

Can anyone explain to me how

ANY Cullen could justify the 65 person party, all humans included, party which Alice arranges after graduation in Eclipse? Surely sticking loads of partying humans in a confined space with Jasper is a completely idiotic move? He has it hard enough in school, where he can at least keep a distance, but in his house??

Hi all, I am currently reading Eclipse, I have 10 pages left....I'm not getting Breaking Dawn until christmas and I can't wait! I am absolutely loving this series that to be honest I discovered by accident. My husband bought Twilight for valentines day for me and I have not looked back since:D

Come to team Edward, Rawr, he is miles a head of Jacob.

Um.

Edward sparkles. Like, glitters. And thinks this is scary. 'This is the skin of a killer, Bella', quoth I he. He sat in Bella's room for like two months watching her sleep before she found out. He has had 109 years to come to terms with being a vampire, and he still hasn't. Vampires are materialistic, and buy houses and cars like they're going out of style.

Jacob is a 16 year old kid who does not sparkle, and deals with being a werewolf in less than a month, during which time he still uses his ability to protect Bella,without her ever knowing. As a werewolf, he is potentially very scary. He's a mechanic - he builds things himself with his own hands. Where Edward gets priceless diamonds on Bella's wrist, Jacob gets a hand-carved miniature wolf.

Both Jacob AND Edward admit that in a world without vampires, Jacob is clearly the obvious choice for Bella.

In short, Jacob is more down to earth, grounded, mature kid and at only 16, he's 93 years younger than Edward, and since he's clearly more mature, he's clearly streets ahead.

Yeah and he dosn't have any decent clothes (because he keeps ripping them to shreads) he is way too cocky for his own good (see Eclipse for refrence) and he dosn't know when to let sleeping dogs lie (haha!).

Edward is thoughtful and traditonal. He sparkles (major bonus!) and he smells wonderful.

Jacob keeps pointing out that he's the best suitor for Bella and that she's in love with him too.

What happens at the end of Eclipse? Oh yeah. She admits that and actually, so does Edward. :lol::D

Give me a woody smell, a hand carved wolf and

sex before marriage

anyday. :D

I suppose that is true about the bed...

I just read that they are thinking about making Breaking Dawn into 2 movies. I hope they do it because it seems very unlikely that they would be able to put all of the important scenes into one 2 hour slot.