The Kissing Gates - Mackenzie Ford

SueK

This is a synopsis from Amazon:

Review

'Set against the panorama of the First World War, The Kissing Gates is a poignant love story, a finely woven tapestry of choice, consequence and redemption. Mackenzie Ford explores the ambiguities of the human heart with an unwavering hand, and in so doing creates a haunting and moving tale that will resonate with the reader long after he or she has finished the last page." The First World War - with its no-man's land and valiant nurses - is disturbingly contrasted to the peaceful idyll of rural England. Even the touching love story, with a secret ticking away like a time-bomb at its heart, has us on a knife-edge of uncertainty. And Ford provides fascinating details of the thrills of the wartime intelligence world.

I have just finished this book and have to say it is one of the best books I have read on WW1, and that includes Birdsong.

The book, which is centred around the Christmas Day Truce of 1914, has everything – well rounded characters, a good plot, and interesting insight into intelligence and espionage during WW1. It exposes the futility of this war that lost so many people but doesn’t overly state it – it’s not about flag waving jingoism. Most poignantly, it is contrasting the stark atrocity of war torn France and Flanders with the idyllic peace and pastoral English countryside – you can almost hear Elgar’s music playing.;) This book will stay with you for quite a while afterwards.

I thoroughly recommend it and am happy to pass it on to anyone who is interested in reading it.

Edited by SueK

• 4 weeks later...

I read this book last year and have to say that I agree with everything you said! :D

It was a fascinating read and, because of it, I've been looking for more and more books that are centred around that period, before, during and after the 1st World War.

Carole

Great to hear you enjoyed the book too Carole:). Like you I find this period quite fascinating. I read a lot of Russian books around the same period which also involves the Revolution as well as the War. It is difficult finding books but I have stumbled across a quintet by Anne Perry:

No Graves as Yet

Shoulder the SKy

Angels in the Gloom

At Some Disputed Barricade

We Shall Not Sleep

I haven't got or read these books as yet but I may well check one or two out in the library to see what they are like.