Nicola

Books Read So Far......

Jan - Mar

Rant - Chuck Palahniuk (8/10)

Diary - Chuck Palahniuk (7/10)

What I Do - Jon Ronson (9/10)

Neverwhere - Neil Gaiman (8/10)

Anansi Boys - Neil Gaiman (7/10)

Good Omens - Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett (9/10)

Twilight - Stephanie Meyer (9/10)

New Moon - Stephanie Meyer (9/10)

Eclipse - Stephanie Meyer (9/10)

Breaking Dawn - Strephanie Meyer (9/10)

The Birthing House - Christopher Ransom (3/10)

The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly (7/10)

Touching From a Distance - Deborah Curtis (8/10)

My Booky Wook - Russell Brand (9/10)

The Memory Keepers Daughter - Kim Edwards (4/10)

Celebration USA - Douglas Franz (8/10)

Apr - Jun

Interview With The Vampire - Anne Rice (9/10)

The Coffin Dancer - Jeffrey Deaver (9/10)

The Vampire Lestat - Anne Rice (7/10)

Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay (9/10)

The Empty Coffin - Jeffrey Deaver (8/10)

The The Right One In - John Ajvide Linqviste (9/10)

The Blue Nowhere - Jeffrey Deaver (9/10)

Jul - Sept

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - re-read (7/10)

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - re-read (7/10)

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban -re-read (8/10)

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - re-read (10/10)

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix - re-read (8/10)

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - re-read (10/10)

The Other Boleyn Girl - Philppa Gregory (10/10)

The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory (9/10)

Dead Before Dark - Charlaine Harris (8.5/10)

Living Dead In Dallas - Charlaine Harris (9/10)

Club Dead - Charlaine Harris (9/10)

Dead To The World - Charlaine Harris (10/10)

Dead As A Doornail - Charlaine Harris (9/10)

Definitely Dead -Charlaine Harris (9/10)

Altogether Dead - Charlaine Harris (9/10)

From Dead To Worse - Charlaine Harris (9/10)

Dead and Gone - Charlaine Harris (9/10)

Eragon - Christopher Paolini (6.5/10)

Oct - Dec

Eldest - Christopher Paolini - 8/10

Brisingr - Christopher Paolini - 8/10

Queen Of The Damned - Anne Rice - 10/10

The Queen's Fool - Philippa Gregory - 9/10

Tale of the Body Thief - Anne Rice - 10/10

Memnoch the Devil - Anne Rice 9/10

The Six Wives of Henry VIII - Alison Weir - 8/10

Edited by Nicola

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got What I Do by Jon Ronson on my TBR pile - sounds like you liked it as you gave it 9/10! I heard him talking about it on a radio programme and bought it off the back of that, but nice to see that someone else has read it, and given it a good rating.

Books currently sat on my shelves waiting to be read..... (Read)

Danny - Chancery Stone (it's about 1000 large pages of tiny text so I'm waiting for the summer to get started on it)

Interview With A Vampire - Anne Rice

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest - Ken Kasey

Watching the English - Kate Fox

The Handmaid's Tale - Margaret Atwood

Revolutionary Road - Richard Yates

A Maidens Grave - Jeffrey Deaver

Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung - Lester Bangs

The Ladies of Grace Adieu - Susanna Clarke

Nightwatch - Terry Pratchett

Thud - Terry Pratchett

The Vampire Lestat - Anne Rice

The Coffin Dancer - Jeffrey Deaver

Darkly Dreaming Dexter - Jeff Lindsay

The Empty Chair - Jeffrey Deaver

The Shack - William P Young

The Boleyn Inheritance - Philippa Gregory

The Stone Monkey - Jeffrey Deaver

Let the Right One In - John Ajvide Lindqvist

Dead Before Dark - Charlaine Harris

Edited by Nicola

No, I don't really read newspapers, except online, and then it tends to be only the main news page and the books (arts) sections! My OH recognised him though and said he'd read his column and thought the book would probably be good, so I'm just waiting for it to come up on my TBR list. I think the interview I heard on the radio with him, was at one of the literary festivals last summer, and he struck me as a funny man, and the book would be humorous, so when I saw it in a 3 for 2 offer, I couldn't resist.

Edited by chesilbeach
Corrected spelling

Books I really really really want to read!

The Lincoln Rhyme Series - Jeffrey Deaver

An Eye For An Eye - Malorie Blackman

Falling - Olivia Liberty

Survivor - Chuck Palahniuk

The Graveyard Book - Neil Gaiman

The Love Letters of Great Men and Women: From the Eighteenth Century to the Present - CH Charles

Possible Side Effects - Augusten Burroughs

The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde - Robert Louis Stevenson

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society - Mary Ann Shaffer & Annie Barrows

A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess

Dracula - Bram Stoker

Carmilla - Bram Stoker

The Vampires Revenge - Raven Hart

Dead Until Dark - Charlaine Harris

Marked - Kristen Cast & PC Cast

The Tudor Series - Philippa Gregory

Queen Of The Damned - Anne Rice

Sookie Stackhouse Series - Charlaine Harris

Edited by Nicola

No, I don't really read newspapers, except online, and then it tends to be only the main news page and the books (arts) sections! My OH recognised him though and said he'd read his column and thought the book would probably be good, so I'm just waiting for it to come up on my TBR list. I think the interview I heard on the radio with him, was at one of the literary festivals last summer, and he struck me as a funny man, and the book would be humorous, so when I saw it in a 3 for 2 offer, I couldn't resist.

He is really funny. He basically writes about the most ridiculous thing that's happened to him that week but add the fact that he's a man to that and it just takes to a whole new level of silly. It's also really good to read if you've got another book on the go as the articles are only a few pages long each so you can pick it up sporadically.

You'll have to let me know what you think of it when you read it! Hope it's not too far down your tbr list. :irked:

I notice we have similar tastes in reading, Nicola, especially with some of the ratings you've given to your books (like The Memory Keeper's Daughter and Neverwhere). I also have some of the same books on my TBR and wish lists that you do, so I'll be interested to see how you get on with them!

I knew we had similar taste in books but I didn't believe it to be so similar! You've read The Book of Lost Things (only 7/10? I've heard people ranting about this one) which is on my TBR and I've recently become interested in Chuck Palahniuk, I believe it's your fault :) I think I saw you and some other BCF member ranting about him in some thread and wrote his name down :(

You also have Interview with the Vampire and The Handmaid's Tale on your shelves, I really recommend those too! And as if this wasn't enough, you've got The Love Letters of Great Men and Women on your list, I've been wanting to read that too but I didn't remember the title! Bless you Nicola :irked:

I notice we have similar tastes in reading, Nicola, especially with some of the ratings you've given to your books (like The Memory Keeper's Daughter and Neverwhere). I also have some of the same books on my TBR and wish lists that you do, so I'll be interested to see how you get on with them!

Hey!

Yeah I didn't rate the Memory Keepers Daughter at all!

I just wanted the doctor to have to deal with what he'd done but he really doesn't!!

At all!

Hello~:blush:. How are you finding Noughts & Crosses?

Hey Bookbee!!

It's ok......I'm not too far into it as it's assignment time at Uni so I've had to put it down. I'm up to the part where Callum's sister has just died and Sephie turns up to the wake.

As soon as I pick it up again I'll let you know how I'm finding it. Seem's like it has lots of potential though :D

I knew we had similar taste in books but I didn't believe it to be so similar! You've read The Book of Lost Things (only 7/10? I've heard people ranting about this one) which is on my TBR and I've recently become interested in Chuck Palahniuk, I believe it's your fault :D I think I saw you and some other BCF member ranting about him in some thread and wrote his name down :)

You also have Interview with the Vampire and The Handmaid's Tale on your shelves, I really recommend those too! And as if this wasn't enough, you've got The Love Letters of Great Men and Women on your list, I've been wanting to read that too but I didn't remember the title! Bless you Nicola :blush:

I've just read your reading list and added more books to my wishlist....eeeek!!! I'll be having the busiest summer ever!! haa!! :17:

Yeah - The book of lost things. I think it's one of those books where your opinion constantly changes depending on what mood you're in. I'd definately recommend reading it after something that's been heavy going as it's a breeze and really easy to get through. Plus you'll recognise a lot of the characters....Snow White's in there! Haa!!

Chuck Palahniuk.....ah I just love his work!! Haunted is my favourite book of his but I've also read Diary, Rant, Choke, Fight Club and Stranger Than Fiction. All of them have been really good and had a few stomach turning scenes.....my stomach's turning just thinking of them now! Yack! So I'd probably recommend you read Haunted, Diary or Fight Club first.

Hey Bookbee!!

It's ok......I'm not too far into it as it's assignment time at Uni so I've had to put it down. I'm up to the part where Callum's sister has just died and Sephie turns up to the wake.

As soon as I pick it up again I'll let you know how I'm finding it. Seem's like it has lots of potential though :17:

Ah, it's assignment time for me too! Reading time does suffer :D hehe.

It's my favourite book so I really hope you enjoy it when you pick it up again. I will be interested to see what you think. :blush:

Have you seen the movie version of Fight Club? If so, is it any better or worse than the book?

The film is so good but I think it's a good representation of the book. It's one of the best book to film adaptations out there in my opinion.

It's actually one of my favourite movies.....good story and BRAD PITT!!! :blush::D

Ah, it's assignment time for me too! Reading time does suffer :D hehe.

It's my favourite book so I really hope you enjoy it when you pick it up again. I will be interested to see what you think. :blush:

Yeah I'll let you know.....I'm hoping to read it in small slots on the bus and before bed etc so small victories and all that :17:

I've just read your reading list and added more books to my wishlist....eeeek!!! I'll be having the busiest summer ever!! haa!! :D

I'm sorry, I forgot to warn you that reading blogs may be dangerous that way: you get too many ideas for future reads :blush:

Thanks for your advice on The Book of Lost Things and Chuck Palahniuk. I just checked my library for Palahniuk's books and there aren't too many of them there :17: So I might just have to go with what I'm able to get (there were Choke and Fight Club at least).

Ooooh well I'd go with Fight Club if I were you :friends0:

I accidentally picked up Interview with a Vampire the other night after people were commenting about good it was and now I'm hooked. Think Noughts and Crosses is on the back burner!! Eeeek!

Hope your library gets a few more Chuck books in stock.....they really are worth a read!

Ooooh well I'd go with Fight Club if I were you :D

I accidentally picked up Interview with a Vampire the other night after people were commenting about good it was and now I'm hooked. Think Noughts and Crosses is on the back burner!! Eeeek!

Hope your library gets a few more Chuck books in stock.....they really are worth a read!

I love your use of the word 'accidentally' :friends0: Good job on picking up Interview with a Vampire, it's worth it! You can send Noughts and Crosses for a little minibreak.

BF's local library which I accidentally visited today had Fight Club on the shelves so I picked it up. I'll be reading it some time this week :hug: And if I like Palahniuk, I'll be sure to request more of his books in my library which has been kind enough to buy all of my previous requests to the library :D

It's really good that they'll do that for you. Hope our library will do the same! It's in the middle of being re-built and should be open this summer (along with a new museum.....it's all go in Newcastle Upon Tyne!!)

I really hope you like Mr Palahniuk's work......It'll be nice to have someone to rave about him with!! Most of my friends read chick-lit which I never read really.

Really enjoying Interview with a Vampire.....it's much better than assignments!! haa!! :friends0:

It's really good that they'll do that for you. Hope our library will do the same! It's in the middle of being re-built and should be open this summer (along with a new museum.....it's all go in Newcastle Upon Tyne!!)

I really hope you like Mr Palahniuk's work......It'll be nice to have someone to rave about him with!! Most of my friends read chick-lit which I never read really.

Really enjoying Interview with a Vampire.....it's much better than assignments!! haa!! :hug:

Hey Nicola! How're you doing? I really love Chuck's stuff, too. Survivor has been my favourite so far. I find his nihilism a bit difficult to cope with if I read more than one of his books in succession, though. What do you think? Have you read any by Michel Houellebecq (honest-to-God proper spelling of his name, there)? He's quite a dark soul as well. :friends0::yes:

Hey Nicola! How're you doing? I really love Chuck's stuff, too. Survivor has been my favourite so far. I find his nihilism a bit difficult to cope with if I read more than one of his books in succession, though. What do you think? Have you read any by Michel Houellebecq (honest-to-God proper spelling of his name, there)? He's quite a dark soul as well. :friends0::yes:

Hey Mac! I'm very well thanks!! How's you?

I know exactly what you mean. I suppose it's a good look at how the other half live!! I usually read something pretty light hearted after reading a Chuck book. I love the fact that he can get an audible reaction out of me whilst reading. In the Diary

I almost threw up when he described the boy piercing his nipple with that brooch......yack!

With other books you normally think "eugh that's pretty awful" but with him I usually end up gagging! haaa!! Or saying "Right that's enough for now" and putting it to one side for about 30 seconds before I put myself through it all again!!

Do you think that he leads you down the garden path thinking that you're going to be told one story then all of a sudden you're not being told that story at all and never really have been? With Rant I was thinking

'OK....it's a story about a the Night-timers rebelling against social exclusion' but by the end I was thinking 'Time travel???!!!!'

Haaaa!

I've not heard of Michel Houellebecq (I've just copied and pasted! haa!!) but will definitely take a look! That is quite a name isn't it!!:hug:

I've recently been bought Danny by Chancery Stone which I'm hoping is along the same lines as Chuck. It's a pretty big book so I'm waiting for the summer to start it. The flyer inside the books reads "3,623 swear words, 3,907 sexual acts, 4,373 acts of violence and 12,638 things to object to. Your Mother wouldn't like it." It'll either be fantastic or just give me nightmares for the following month!! Have you read it or heard any reviews of it at all? :D

Hello there, Nicola. I quite agree with you on the topic of our chum Chuck. There's another author that's fairly similar called Glen Duncan. He's one of these guys where, just like you, I arrive at certain points in the middle and go "Whoa there, mister! I'm going to put you over there for a while and play with some cute kittens!" just to bring nice things back into my disturbed brain. He is quite, quite brilliant, however. I would highly recommend I, Lucifer and Weathercock by him. Ooh, and Death of an Ordinary Man. This is very good also.

I hope this finds you tickety-boo. Probe more if you require further revommendations and chat.

Pip pip and toodles for now.