Salads

tbain

Dad hates cucumbers, too.. for the same reason he hates lettuce.

The only part of the salad he likes is cheese and croutons. Sorta defeats the purpose of a salad when he pokes around all the healthy lettuce and veggies and only eats the bread and cheese....:smile2: Oh, and he drowns it in Ranch dressing, too. :irked::roll:

:smile2: If I did, I'd be a lot healthier!

Yeah, me too.

Is it the lettuce you guys hate?

My dad HATES salad b/c he says lettuce has no flavor and a weird wet, crunchy texture. :irked:

I actually adore lettuce. I love lettuce, the crunchier the better. I love onions, mixed leaves. But nothing else really.

• 4 months later...

i'm a vegetarian too and love making tasty salads. I think the problem for most people is the fact that when they attempt to make a salad they think of your typical: lettuce, cucumber, tomato. But they can be so much more than that and so satisyfying! I add delicious sauces to mine and mix in flavoured quorn chunks and chickpeas and things like red kidney beans. I love adding onion chutney too. People just need to think out of the box :-p lettuce should merely be a 'base'. Try adding things like pumpkin seeds and pine nuts too.

I used to love ploughmans salad too (lettuce, grated cheese,lots of sweet pickle =D )

• 2 weeks later...
well, i always opt for a 'cruelty-free' version. i just seem to enjoy my food more then. They have some amazing meat substitutes now aswell. i used to eat meat, but don't feel as though i'm missing out on anything. I've actually eaten meat substitutes which taste better than meat. it's just a matter of trying stuff out.

Definately - veggie food is cheaper as well, which has to be good !

I used to be a veggie when I was in high school, before that I'd eat pretty much anything meat wise but now I'm very fussy and I pretty much only eat chicken now. Speaking of which, I had a chicken caesar salad the other night in the pub and it only had one kind of lettuce in (not sure what it was unfortunately) but it was absolutely yummy and didn't upset my stomach! That's all I want to eat now :blush:

I'm not that big on salad, because it's cold (I've never encountered warm salad before) and, unless it's fruit salad, it usually contains vegetables - which I'm not particularly fond of either... But I enjoy a nice big bowl of crated carrot (I firmly believe that carrots were mistakenly put in the vegetable category when veggies were created :blush:), mixed with bits if pineapple and drenched in orange juice. That's a good salad. :P

I love warm pasta salad.