Manga

Fionen

I use to read manga, but I no longer have interest in it. My most favorite manga was Nana.

Oh yeah, Nana by Ai Yazawa has a lot of fans. They made it into a live action film in Japan. Have you read Paradise Kiss by the same author?

I used to be a big fan of Berserk (a bit shocking and painful to read at times but the story was so good I just had to keep reading), Fushigi Yugi (best graphic go at the same old "schoolgirl gets transported into a weird world she needs to save" plot in my opinion), Nana. Then the friend I was borrowing them from stopped collecting them because they were dragging on too long, and I never did discover how any of them ended.

Edited by BookJumper

• 1 year later...

I've seen 2 live action movies on Deathnote they were great! L is weird and brilliant.

I'm just getting interested in manga, I've read Sherilyn Kenyon's Darkhunter Vol 1. I've noticed my library has a good many manga books including Shakespear and some English classics.

I'm completely addicted to the Bleach manga now (of course...I'm already addicted to the anime, so it was just a matter of time). I wait VERY impatiently for the English scans to be made available online each week. Eventually, though, I plan to collect all the books.

I also want to start reading Barefoot Gen, which is an older manga about a boy and his family living in Hiroshima during World War II.

I know that a lot of people have complained that Bleach has been too drawn-out (even I think so sometimes...it seems like they'll never get around to finishing Aizen off...that guy has a defense for everything). But to be honest, I don't know what I'll do when it finishes! I can't imagine not being about to read a new one each week! I'd go insane.

Me and my friends used to love deathnote, i read the first one and always meant to move on and finish them off, but I decided to move on to harder books seeing as I really only started reading books when I was 13 I didnt want to get stuck on one type, but I hope to eventually finish them off one day, they're only quick reads so shouldnt take me long. :blush:

Woo hoo a thread about manga! :)

I've been reading manga for about 7 years now and am totally addicted. Having said that, I don't like shojo manga in general, so I'm not a big fan of Fruits Basket. I do like Nana but I consider that my one guilty shojo pleasure. (Oh and Kamakazi Girls was also pretty good).

One of my favourite series is Monster, which is by the same guy who drew 20th Century Boys (which is also a classic for me), and Pineapple Army, Naoki Urasawa. He's an amazing story teller and all of his books have great plots and characters.

For a bit of fun on a sunny afternoon you can't beat Lucky Star or Azumanga Daioh. Sunshine sketch isn't bad either, along with GA, all from the 4 panel genre.

I'm also a fan of slice of life manga, so Genshiken and Yotsuba! both appeal to me and cheer me up when I'm down!

As for epics, I suppose Samurai Executioner is OK, but the panels are nearly all reversed to fit it into the Western left to right format, which after years of reading the trad style really messes with your mind. (They also sometimes transpose the kanji in the back ground so they're the wrong way round, which gets me annoyed).

When it comes to Japanese language versions I like them dark and dirty, mainly because I can read them much more easily than more story driven ones where the language is more complicated. At the moment I'm liking High School of the Dead. I also love those thick little pulp manga's that they publish in Japan with 10 stories along a theme together. They're a good way of finding new series and artists to follow.

The only problem with manga is that once you start a series you feel the need to finish it, and it can turn out expensive. I managed to get all the Battle Royale books for

My experience with manga is rather limited, but I find it disturbing not a single soul has mentioned Osamu Tezuka ( the godfather of manga ) yet. His books are excellent! :blush:

Some series that are worth checking out:

Ode To Kirihito

Buddha

Apollo

MW

I want to read Barefoot Gen, which is one of Tezuka's BEST (in my opinion). I have a book about the history of manga, and Tezuka is given his own chapter, along with examples of some of his most popular titles.

• 2 weeks later...

The problem with Barefoot Gen in the printing I read was that it was all transposed so that it would fit in the left to right format and they did a really poor job of it. The typeface they used was Comic Sans too, which is awful and somewhat detracted from the story. The translation was also poor. I'm not sure why they did such a poor job of it as later translations of his work were much improved. They seem like irrelevant things but when it comes to manga they're the type of things that really matter, and they do effect your enjoyment of it.

It's worth a read though, I just wouldn't buy it to add to my collection...

Is anyone following Ikigami? I don't seem to be able to enjoy it, I just don't seem to 'get it'. A bit of a cross between Battle Royale and Death Note but without the plot or character development...

I just read MW, which is also by Tezuka, last night, and like you said, it had been transposed to be read from left to right. Luckily, though, they did a really good job and it was a very smooth read. I LOVED LOVED LOVED it. ;)