Best place to find a similar author

Im a a big fan of A J Cronins books.... ive now managed to read them all,and would like to find a similar author with same style,subjects covered,genre etc.that Cronin wrote .

Any sugestions were to look on the internet would be appreciated or even better any other author you could suggest,............................thank you.

It would be quite difficult to recommend a similar author as I haven't read AJ Cronin, but the first author that came to mind was Arthur Hailey who has written some pretty good books on a variety of subjects.

A good website to try is http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk , AJ Cronin is in there, and each listing tells you other books that have been looked at by viewers.

Good luck finding something.

Not many people read Cronin these days! Off the top of my head, I can't think of anything directly comparable (although no doubt someone here will have ideas). However, if you're attracted by the "social conscience" in Cronin's work, you might enjoy Robert Tressell's Ragged Trousered Philanthropists.

And, while it's not fiction, I recently read The Medical Detective by Sandra Hempel. The story of Dr John Snow's ground-breaking work on discovering the causes of cholera in Victorian England, it's got plenty of downtrodden poor, appalling slums and a pig-headed medical establishment into the bargain. And it reads like a novel, too.

Im a a big fan of A J Cronins books.... ive now managed to read them all,and would like to find a similar author with same style,subjects covered,genre etc.that Cronin wrote .

One of my favourite ever books is Beyond This Place - which is one of the few books I've re-read (twice!). I first read it when I was about 17, as it was on my parent's bookshelf and I was looking for someone new to try. Oddly enough I haven't read anything else by him - I really should rectify that! :roll:

I usually use http://www.lovereading.co.uk for like-for-like recommendations, but unfortunately it doesn't find anything for Cronin.

As all of Cronin's work appears to be out-of-print, it's quite hard to find recommendations based on him, but hopefully the links/posts above will inspire you.

Let us know how you get on. :)

• 2 months later...

thank you for your suggestions,...Im still looking ,I recentlry seen A film on Tv ,The Spainish Gardiner... which was one of several books by Cronin made into film,it starred a young Dirk Bogarde who plays the 'spainish gardiner' with an English accent..weird .:)