bookworm44's 2009 Reading List

bookworm44

IllScreamLater.jpg

I'll Scream Later by Marlee Matlin

Synopsis:

Marlee Matlin entered our lives as the deaf pupil turned custodian audiences fell in love with in Children of a Lesser God, a role for which she became the youngest woman ever to win a Best Actress Oscar. More than twenty years after her stunning big screen debut, the Golden Globe- and Emmy-nominated actress is an inspirational force of nature

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

26679113.jpg

Fearless Fourteen by Janet Evanovich

Synopsis:

Personal vendettas, hidden treasure, and a monkey named Carl will send bounty hunter Stephanie Plum on her most explosive adventure yet.

The Crime: Armed robbery to the tune of nine million dollars

Dom Rizzi robbed a bank, stashed the money, and did the time. His family couldn’t be more proud. He always was the smart one.

The Cousin: Joe Morelli

Joe Morelli, Dom Rizzi, and Dom’s sister, Loretta, are cousins. Morelli is a cop, Rizzi robs banks, and Loretta is a single mother waiting tables at the firehouse. The all-American family.

The Complications: Murder, kidnapping, destruction of personal property, and acid reflux

Less than a week after Dom’s release from prison, Joe Morelli has shadowy figures breaking into his house and dying in his basement. He’s getting threatening messages, Loretta is kidnapped, and Dom is missing.

The Catastrophe: Moonman

Morelli hires Walter “Mooner” Dunphy, stoner and “inventor” turned crime fighter, to protect his house. Morelli can’t afford a lot on a cop’s salary, and Mooner will work for potatoes.

The Cupcake: Stephanie Plum

Stephanie and Morelli have a long-standing relationship that involves sex, affection, and driving each other nuts. She’s a bond enforcement agent with more luck than talent, and she’s involved in this bank-robbery-gone-bad disaster from day one.

The Crisis: A favor for Ranger

Security expert Carlos Manoso, street name Ranger, has a job for Stephanie that will involve night work. Morelli has his own ideas regarding Stephanie’s evening activities.

The Conclusion: Only the fearless should read Fourteen.

Thrills, chills, and incontinence may result.

Review:

I originally read Fearless Fourteen last summer and was much happier with it then I was with Lean Mean Thirteen, but unfortunately that’s not saying much. Was it enjoyable? Yes. I just wish that the author would bring back some of the greatness this series had in the beginning. I use to love this series. I couldn’t wait for the summer to come to get my Plum fix. Now I just find myself reading it out of habit and wishing the magic would return. I’m sticking with my original rating of 4/5, but only because it was better then the previous book.

Edited by bookworm44

FingerLickinFifteen.jpg

Finger Lickin' Fifteen by Janet Evanovich

Synopsis:

While recovering from an ill-timed makeup mishap, Lula is a witness to celebrity chef, Stanley Chipotle, losing his head - literally. Now Lula and Stephanie are on the hunt to identify the killers before Lula is next on the chopping block.

Meantime, Ranger's recruited Stephanie's help for a top secret mission. Someone on the inside at Rangeman is leaking client information, determined to bring the company down. No one is above suspicion, not even Ranger's right hand man, Tank.

Can Stephanie hunt down a killer, a traitor, five skips and keep Grandma out of the sauce?

It's the sexiest, scariest, most fun Plum yet. So good you'll want seconds.

Courtesy of www.overstock.com

Review:

Complete disappointment! I never thought I would give a Plum book a 2/5, but Evanovich has given me no choice. There were the now ubiquitous recycled story lines, unrecognizable characters, jokes that aren

Edited by bookworm44

I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it Bookworm. I have the first 2 on my TBR pile and have been looking forward to them. I will heed your warning about the latter books! :D

Kylie, I hope you enjoy the first two as much as I did. I have so many other books on my list to read, but I really think I might have to squeeze in a few books from the beginning of this series just to get my summer Plum fix.

SecretLifeOfBees.jpg

Synopsis:

Fourteen-year-old Lily Owens lost her beloved mother when she was only four-under tragic circumstances clouded by time and secrecy. She later found a fiercely protective "stand-in," her abusive father's outspoken housekeeper, Rosaleen. Ignoring differences in age and color-and the fact that racial hatred seethed during the summer of 1964 in rural South Carolina-these two unlikely companions set off on a seemingly aimless pilgrimage that ends at the home of a trio of eccentric bee-keeping black sisters.

Lily tells her remarkable tale of longing and love in an idiom and accent heard far south of the Mason-Dixon Line, but the lessons learned during her odyssey into the world of bees and their "secret life" are universal and everlasting.

In her debut novel, Sue Monk Kidd proves herself adept both at storytelling and at creating characters who are simultaneously outlandish and credible-in other words, worthy to join the ranks of such first-rate Southern stylists as Kaye Gibbons, Anne Rivers Siddons, and Ellen Gilchrist.

Courtesy of www.barnesandnoble.com

Review:

What a beautiful book! Once I started it, I didn

• 2 weeks later...

Heavenly.jpg

Heavenly by Jennifer Laurens

Synopsis:

I met someone who changed everything. Matthias. My autistic sister's guardian angel. Honest. Inspiring. Funny. Hot. And immortal. That was the problem. What could I do? I did what any other girl would do-I fell in love with him. Zoe's sister darts in front of cars. Her brother's a pothead. Her parents are so overwhelmed; they don't see Zoe lost in her broken life. Zoe escapes the only way she knows how: partying. Matthias, a guardian sent from Heaven, watches over Zoe's autistic sister. After Zoe is convinced he's legit, angel and lost girl come together in a love that changes destiny. But Heaven on Earth can't last forever.

Courtesy of www.amazon.com

Review:

I

Edited by bookworm44

I always like reading your reviews, Bookworm.. They're concise, don't give anything away, are uncomplicated, and give me a good idea of what you took away from the book. I like. :motz:

Thanks, Bethany! I'm happy to hear you enjoy 'em. =)

TwentiesGirl.jpg

Twenties Girl by Sophie Kinsella

Synopsis:

Lara Lington has always had an overactive imagination, but suddenly that imagination seems to be in overdrive. Normal professional twenty-something young women don

Edited by bookworm44

This is definitely on my list to read :D Thanks for your review. 5/5 is as good as it gets. I love Sophie Kinsella books :D

Aww yey!! I am so glad you loved this!

It is on my list, and I'm so excited to get my hands on it at some point. :D

Thanks for the review!

I can't imagine any Sophie Kinsella fan being disappointed in this one. I hope you both enjoy it! =)

• 3 weeks later...
the-time-travelers-wife.jpg

The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger

Synopsis:

Audrey Niffenegger's innovative debut, The Time Traveler's Wife, is the story of Clare, a beautiful art student, and Henry, an adventuresome librarian, who have known each other since Clare was six and Henry was thirty-six, and were married when Clare was twenty-three and Henry thirty-one. Impossible but true, because Henry finds himself periodically displaced in time, pulled to moments of emotional gravity from his life, past and future. His disappearances are spontaneous, his experiences unpredictable, alternately harrowing and amusing.

The Time Traveler

Janet, I'm so jealous you're going to re-read it! The minute I finished it I wanted to turn right back to the first page and start over.

I'm going next weekend to see the movie even though I know it won

• 2 weeks later...

AfterYoudGone.jpg

After You'd Gone by Maggie O'Farrell

Synopsis:

Alice Raikes takes a train from London to Scotland to visit her family, but when she gets there she witnesses something so shocking that she insists on returning to London immediately. A few hours later, Alice is lying in a coma after an accident that may or may not have been a suicide attempt. Alice's family gathers at her bedside and as they wait, argue, and remember, long-buried tensions emerge. The more they talk, the more they seem to conceal. Alice, meanwhile, slides between varying levels of consciousness, recalling her past and a love affair that recently ended. A riveting story that skips through time and interweaves multiple points of view, After You'd Gone is a novel of stunning psychological depth and marks the debut of a major literary talent.

Courtesy of www.barnesandnoble.com

Review:

At first I had a hard time getting into After You

NovaLee, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did. Just remember to have tissues handy for the ending. =)

Thank you for the warning. A co-worker of mine read this book a couple of months ago and the morning after she finished it, she was still in tears. She was even surprising herself at how this book affected her. I really must read this! Have you seen the movie? I keep debatng whether I should read the book or just go and see the movie ....although I generally enjoy the books so much more than the movies.

Have you seen the movie? I keep debatng whether I should read the book or just go and see the movie ....although I generally enjoy the books so much more than the movies.

I have not seen the movie yet. I would like to though, its just that I usually wait for movies to come out on DVD.

Also, I always go for reading the book first. Its almost always better than the movie, and you get to picture everything for yourself. I hate reading a book and picturing some movie star as the character.

Also, I always go for reading the book first. Its almost always better than the movie, and you get to picture everything for yourself. I hate reading a book and picturing some movie star as the character.

I'm like that too. I sometimes find though, even if I read the book first and then watch the film, when I read the book again I start imagining the actors and scenes. It's really annoying. :irked: